Author Topic: raw paleo diet recipe books  (Read 6584 times)

Offline primaD

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
raw paleo diet recipe books
« on: March 08, 2009, 06:05:27 pm »
Does anyone know of ANY kind(s) of in-depth resources where I can find a lot of recipes that are 100% raw paleo (especially raw meat/seafood included).  I have been looking on the web for about an hour and I just can not find a good comprehensive book or website that lists maybe about 3-4 months of different recipes that are 100% raw paleo that include raw meat.  This is so frustrating.  Can someone help out here?  >:  thanks

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: raw paleo diet recipe books
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 06:34:41 pm »
Well, you won't find a specific rawpalaeo book, as such. Apart from anything else, most rawpalaeos just eat foods on their own without usually using recipes.

However, Aajonus Vonderplanitz's book "The Recipe for living without disease" has a lot of recipes in it and Sally Fallon also wrote a book which I believe has many recipes in it called "Nourishing Traditions". Both books include a lot of non-palaeo foods such as raw dairy or fermented grains and cooked foods(such as in Sally Fallon's book), but just use your imagination and cut out the non-raw, non-palaeo foods in each recipe or replace them with rawpalaeo-friendly foods(eg:- substituting raw apple cider vinegar with "mother of vinegar" in it instead of pasteurised vinegar etc.)
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline primaD

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 06:48:14 pm »
Apart from anything else, most rawpalaeos just eat foods on their own without usually using recipes.
I do that regularly as well however I think that one of the reasons I continually bounce back and forth between raw paleo and cooked foods is the variety.  After a couple of days of eating plain raw meat, my body craves something else.  Not necessarily cooked foods but some raw spices or just something that changes the natural taste of the food all the while everything is still raw and unaltered.  Maybe I should make my own recipe book then and stop being lazy...   ???

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 10:29:46 pm »
Paleolithic people did not have recipes. Hunter-gatherers just wandered around opportunistically eating whatever they came upon.

If you consider yourself to be a carnivore I imagine it can be boring. I don't know how they stand eating just meat every day.

I consider humans to be omnivores. The variety comes in all the fruits and veggies. I go to the store and shop only the produce isle and spice rack. I try to buy at least one of everything except potatoes and corn in the produce isle and keep a plate of cut up stuff around me all day to eat. About the only recipe I can offer is to squeeze lime juice on things, or dust with spices of your liking.

I think most of primate evolution was in warm climates, and if an animal was killed it stayed warm. If kept warm it will become naturally tender in a few hours. Under modern western civilization conditions the meat must be brought to a cold temperature quickly immediately after slaughter. Under refrigeration beef is normally either wet or dry aged for three or four weeks to approach the same tenderization of warm meat before being sold to consumers. I can't stand cold meat. If I rub it with spices and keep it warm 100' for a few hours it's great. I will keep it warm and eat on it for hours. The variety is in the spices.

Although gathering and hunting comprised most of the food supply during the Middle Paleolithic people began to supplement their diet with seafood and began smoking and drying meat to preserve and store it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Paleolithic

The above quote is the reasoning that keeps me paleo. I smoke and dry all kids of meat and fish at 100' with all kinds spices. I eat a variety all day long. Love it. No recipe is needed.

Another enjoyable "recipe" is to mix together raw nuts, small seeds, and dried berries and munch on them. Some suggestions: Walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried black currents, dried cranberries, and sesame seeds. Use your favorites, no recipe is needed.

There is one recipe book I can recommend for the symbiotic benefits: Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz with a foreword by Sally Fallon.

A couple of near paleo foods that you will find recipes for on the net are Ceviche and Sushimi.

I have two near paleo recipes I use, one is for mayonnaise and the other is a smoothie if you are interested.

I have been a professional cook/chef for most of my life and collect recipe books. I now have to scrap hundreds of dollars worth of cooking stuff and boxes of books. Kind of sad but mostly happy. My health is so much better.   
Naturally, Don

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:12:33 am »
I never would have imagined it.  That I would look forward to eating meat at every meal.  I have well over thirty years eating raw.  And in most of those years I was always eating, always putting something in my mouth.  Now,  I eat twice a day, and only when truly hungry.  When I am truly hungry,  my body wants meat, and fat.
  NOt saying that this way will be my life long pattern, just that in getting past the sugar needs has led me to burn fat for fuel, and therefore bypass my incessant need for a sweet something or other and trust that when hunger comes,  I will once again recognize what I really want. I was as much as a fruit appreciator as anyone.   The switch over isn't easy.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:52:27 am »
I have been a professional cook/chef for most of my life and collect recipe books. I now have to scrap hundreds of dollars worth of cooking stuff and boxes of books. Kind of sad but mostly happy. My health is so much better.   

There are now some raw food chefs. Some even cater to Primal Dieters and the like, in Los Angeles.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:34:07 pm »
That's great, I'm sure we'll see more.

It would be a good business to get into, all you need is a knife and cutting board. If you have ever seen sushimi chefs at work, that is all they use.

Our paleo ancestors just had some stone knives and rock hammers and did quite fine.
Naturally, Don

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:14:35 pm »
one of the things i like about the diet is the 0 preparation time and no need for recipes...

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 08:13:20 am »
Well, you won't find a specific rawpalaeo book, as such. Apart from anything else, most rawpalaeos just eat foods on their own without usually using recipes.

However, Aajonus Vonderplanitz's book "The Recipe for living without disease"

This book sells for about $30 used or new at Amazon. Is it worth the price?
Naturally, Don

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 08:50:07 am »
It's worth the price if you're going to be on a semi-Primal Diet. But most of the recipes include dairy of some sort. There are a lot of sauces for meat, maybe half of which don't contain dairy. I'm going to try and make some raw sauces and put the recipes on the recipes section here soon, a raw berbere and sriracha sauce. Basically I would say that you would do just as well looking up popular sauces and trying to adapt them to raw, because that's most of what the AV book is. He has, for example, something very close to a raw berbere sauce but it's called "African Spice Paste" in his book, and it has butter in it. So honestly I think I can do a better job of making raw paleo recipes than what's in that book, since he insists on shoving dairy everywhere he can.

Not that I think raw butter is really that bad, but I'd rather not use it. Especially since cooked berbere doesn't even have it in there.

Offline ochena_bikel

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 04:27:34 pm »
A brand new paleo cookbook has just released a month ago where you can get your desired collection of raw paleo diet recipes. As always, before you take the cookbook, I highly suggest you to watch this video.
Paleo Recipes - Start Living Delicious Life With 350+ Paleo Diet Recipes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk