Author Topic: satiety  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
satiety
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:47:49 am »
I am reading a book Calorie Myth. In it the author says that there are 3 factors necessary for the feeling of satiety. One of the factors is that the digestive organs have to be stretched enough; thus one half of our food intake (by volume) should be non-starchy fibrous water-rich preferably-raw vegetables.    Is he correct?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: satiety
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:01:53 am »
People vary a great deal in their ability to digest raw veggies. Even for people that digest them well, 50% of total volume is pretty high. For some people, like my wife, it would work. Not for me.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:21:26 am »
I don't think satiety depends on one factor. Sure, it makes sense that the stomach and intestines need to have a discernible amount of food in them, so your author has a valid point.

However, the satiety factor has several other key components such as blood-sugar signals, fat receptor nerve signals, social factors, "emotional" factors, etc.

Satiety levels are learned in childhood. A child that is overfed learns that satiety means so stuffed that you're gasping for air.

I find that the sense of taste is responsible for a lot of satiety signals, which is why we get a stop when we eat unprocessed foods - the stop indicating that we have satisfied our need for that particular food.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:37:49 pm »
Konstantin Monastrsky, author of Fiber Menace, talks a bit about satiety.

He follows a traditional Japanese diet, I think Okinawa specifically.  His solution for satiety was to eat white rice and butter with his meats.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 12:03:20 pm »
Thanks to all for the replies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk