Author Topic: More proof that alcohol is palaeo  (Read 3300 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: More proof that alcohol is palaeo
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:28:23 pm »
Yes alcohol may be paleo, but it isn't good for you.
I did my red wine experiments, came to the conclusion it is not good for me.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 05:38:28 pm »
GS, things that aren't or don't feel good to you, aren't necessarily bad for us. Be it fungi, or alcohol.

Researchers have actually found that people who consume alcohol in moderation live longer than people who drink excessively... and people who don't drink at all! In a raw paleo referential, this comes down to eating mature fruits, which already have some alcohol content.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:57:39 pm by JeuneKoq »

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 05:49:35 pm »
Great video TD  :D

The drunk squirrel looks like it would make an easy prey though. Maybe Paleo man invented the first coq au vin, just by capturing a drunk cock!  ;)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 06:09:13 pm »
Yes alcohol may be paleo, but it isn't good for you.
I did my red wine experiments, came to the conclusion it is not good for me.

A bit of ethanol diluted in overripe fruits has nothing to do with wine — and even less so with distilled booze, which contains some highly toxic methanol in addition to a lot of concentrated ethanol.

Wine is not a natural product (it's not paleo): oenology includes several processes and needs equipments, at least a winepress and a container! Nowadays, pumps, filters, refined sugar, sulfurous acid and other additives are used. 
 ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 01:16:30 am »
There's a huge difference between finding incidents of an event and finding evidence of its regularity. Drunken elephants and squirrels and deer can occur without leading to a conclusion that alcohol consumption was common and beneficial. Pigeons electrocute themselves on city electrical high-wires, too... so what? You know that alcohol as a beverage for humans did not originate in the paleolithic era.

Hey, you can find racially-segregated US communities, but that does not prove that the US is a racially-segregated country. Got that?

"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 02:01:22 am »
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/12/1219_051219_drunk_elephant.html
How Much to Get an Elephant Drunk?

This raises another question: Even if, under very peculiar circumstances, an elephant were exposed to alcohol, how much would it take to get it drunk?

Through calculations of body weight, elephant digestion rates, and other factors, the study authors conclude that it would take about a half gallon (1.9 liters) of ethanol to make an elephant tipsy.

Assuming that fermenting marula fruit would have an alcohol content of 7 percent, it would require 7.1 gallons (27 liters) of marula juice to come up with that half-gallon of alcohol, the scientists say.

Producing a liter of marula wine requires 200 fruits. So an elephant would have to ingest more than 1,400 well-fermented fruits to start to get drunk.

Even then the elephant would have to ingest the alcohol all at once, the authors note. Otherwise its effects would wear off as quickly as the alcohol was metabolized.

Robert Dudley, a biologist at the University of California, Berkeley who was not involved in the study, believes the authors have put to rest the lore of elephants getting drunk from marula fruit.

The study, he said, "establishes that elephants are unlikely to be inebriated but also that chronic low-level consumption [of alcohol] without overt behavioral effects is likely."

It may make for a good story and a durable myth, but the science suggests you're not likely to see a drunken elephant sitting under a marula tree.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk