Author Topic: Meat consumption and human societies  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Dimitri

• Forager
    • View Profile
Meat consumption and human societies
« on: April 02, 2015, 04:50:31 am »
Maybe this recent study can be of interest?

Meat traditions: the co-evolution of humans and meat
Appetite - Volume 90, 1 July 2015, Pages 200–211

The debate on the future of meat centres on recent environmental, economical, ethical, and health issues, whereas historical dimensions are all too often overlooked. The fiery discussions are nevertheless affected by an underlying legacy of “meat traditions” and accompanying hunting, slaughtering, eating, and sharing activities, rituals, and rites. Eating meat is a biocultural activity. Therefore, a closer inspection of the evolutionary, collective, and semiotic aspects of meat in human societies is required. This study ventures such an exploration based on a heuristic model inspired by Maslow's pyramid of needs, distinguishing between physiological, security, community, value, and holistic levels. Besides the potential relevance of an innate craving, it is argued that meat has interfered with the development of fundamental human characteristics, both as a physical and conceptual resource. This relates, amongst others, to elements of gender differentiation, cooperation and reciprocity, social stratification and power, religion, cultural expression, and identity. As such, meat traditions provide a basis for evolutionary and long-term social processes, on which more recent and shallow courses of action are superposed, affecting contemporary behaviour. Several research questions were identified to further explore and anticipate the impact of meat on human populations and their societal and economic functioning.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Meat consumption and human societies
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 05:58:23 am »
URL link to the study?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 07:21:23 am »
We are unmoved by your vegan propaganda.

Offline Dimitri

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 02:40:09 am »
The link:   doi:10.1016/j.appet.2015.03.014

Vegan propaganda ?  ??? but not at all, why do you say so? There is really nothing "vegan" about this paper

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 03:40:44 am »
The link:   doi:10.1016/j.appet.2015.03.014

Vegan propaganda ?  ??? but not at all, why do you say so? There is really nothing "vegan" about this paper

Your link doesn't work. Try again.

Dude, at this point, I've pretty much already decided to ban you. You posted an article critical of meat-eating in your very first post, on a board that regularly is trolled by vegan activists.  You clearly don't belong here, because you are not interested in the things that the rest of us are.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 04:01:33 am »
Critical? I did read it and didn't see anything critical of meat-eating.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Dimitri

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 04:13:17 am »
Thanks, Iguana.  I do not know where this cherimoya-kid sees any criticism about meat-eating?? Now really... On the contrary, the study goes clearly against vegan points of view as it advocates that meat eating is part of our common history and is not even close to disappear in the near future. Anyhow, if he feels like banning me, he may do so. As if I'd care. I subscribed to this forum because of my interest in meat and society. Clearly this may not be the right place. How absurd can this get?

Anyway, the forum does not allow me to post external links - but for those interested - try putting this sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666315001166 after a www.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 06:58:38 am »
You're welcome. You can post a link, no problem at all. Here it is:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666315001166

In this forum a rule is that a mod should not ban anyone without the consent of the other global moderators. I used to be one of them, so I know. 
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:35:55 am »
Mmkay.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 03:12:41 pm »
Anyway, the forum does not allow me to post external links - but for those interested - try putting this sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666315001166 after a www.

We have a required number of posts before a newbie can post links.
It is to safeguard the forum against spammers.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Dimitri

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 02:16:10 am »
ok, thanks

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 07:42:08 am »
The URL you gave requires a subscription or a one-time fee of $35.95. The abstract is too vague to give us the gist of the study. Perhaps you can summarize the points of the study with your view on why this study would be of interest to people on a raw paleo diet.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dimitri

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 05:03:25 pm »
O. I have access thanks to my university subscrption. I'll try to find some time to make a summary of the main points of view but - basically - it is about human needs and meat (based on the pyramid of Maslow). How humans need (or may need) it from a biological point of view but also from a cultural/social point of view. Thought it was relevant for paleo. I'll see what I can do and I'll come back later...

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 05:11:01 pm »
Sounds interesting. Thanks Dimitri!

Offline Dimitri

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 04:42:50 am »
hello, don't know if this link works for you but I found an on-line copy of (some pre-print version of) this study on:

put this after www.:

academia.edu/attachments/37205079/download_file?st=MTQyODQzOTAwMCw3OC4xMjkuODEuODksMjE1MTQ0NzI%3D&s=work_strip&ct=MTQyODQzOTAwNCw1MDIxMCwyMTUxNDQ3Mg==

not sure but you might have to subscribe to academia.edu (free) to access?
let me know if it works...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk