Author Topic: Eating a Hybrid Food? OKay?  (Read 2698 times)

Offline AnopsStudier

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Eating a Hybrid Food? OKay?
« on: June 12, 2015, 01:18:54 pm »
I am trying to eat my foods as close to the wild varieties as possible but am wondering about somethings that I love

Sugar snap peas are a cross between garden peas and snow peas and I love them.. Is there anything wrong or bad with
eating a semi hybrid food like this?  I'm starting to think that while eating wild is great certain hybrid foods are fine and beneficial for you
as well as tasting better. 

Or an occasional honeycrisp apple?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Eating a Hybrid Food? OKay?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 09:27:03 pm »
Is there anything wrong or bad with eating a semi hybrid food like this?

I think that a semi-hybrid refers to a type of automotive engine or something like that.

In the plant world, cross-pollination occurs all the time when winds and insects distribute pollen from one plant to another. Mankind has created deliberate cross-pollenization for thousands of years with the intention of breeding foods that are larger, juicier, (often) sweeter. The offspring plant of this process is a hybrid plant; deliberate control of the ensuing plant generations creates what we call a hybrid variety.

Unlike the GMO process, hybrid plants are generally from the original plant type. After man decides the mommy and daddy plant, nature takes its course. There can be good culinary effects of this cross-pollenization, but you also get foods that have more sugar than nature intended, and probably other less-than-optimal variations.

I eat many modern varieties, avoiding those that are massively sweet, mainly because I have zero access to any other plant foods. This is something on my do-not-worry-about-it list.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 09:43:13 pm »
any fruits and vege that you buy at the grocery store are hybridized.  even "heirloom's" went through a long series of selection and hybridization to get to be the plants they are today.  wild plants in nature are not spared this process, often it just takes longer, the selectors are different factors (climate, soil, plants, environmental causes like fires etc, pollinator and other creatures who induldge in tehe plant such as parasites, animals)

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 11:42:48 pm »
honeycrisp apples and other genetically selected food taste good because they were selected in this regard. They are generally sweeter, less nutrient rich, and contain less natural "anti-nutrients" that would normally give your body the right indications in regard to preventing it from overeating some. A lot of instinctos have reported that wild varieties taste -much- better than those selected by humans when needed by the body, and the stop signals are also a lot clearer, meaning they get nasty a lot quicker.

For example, I personally can eat more sweet apples than I could eat more rustic varieties such as the boskoop.

The less distant a food is from its wild form, the better.

It is of course better to eat food genetically selected by cooked humans than not eating anything at all because of this, or their cooked counterpart. If you can't afford or don't have access to ancient varieties, the rest is fine.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:43:47 am by JeuneKoq »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk