Author Topic: Animal Fat  (Read 2687 times)

Offline ben1234

• Forager
    • View Profile
Animal Fat
« on: July 12, 2015, 11:50:43 pm »
Plant fats all dissolve in my saliva but the fats on muscle meat e.g. wild venison don't dissolve in my mouth. They are like chewing gum. I instinctively want to spit them out but I've been swallowing them assuming maybe I just need to get used to them.
In the past I've felt venison as it moved throughout my entire digestive tract - as an uncomfortable lump. It put me off of meat for a long time (despite craving it) because obviously there is no point eating food you don't digest.
I'm wondering if it's the fats that caused that sensation instead of the muscle (which goes liquid in my saliva)? Do other people here swallow fats that have a chewing gum texture? Did anybody else have similar issues?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Fat
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 01:09:25 am »
I'm wondering if your melt-in-your-mouth plant fats are extracted/refined, because I can't think of any plant fats that exist in the same stratified form as animal fat. Even considering the avocado, the fat is dispersed throughout the flesh instead of in its own layer.

"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 02:14:51 am »
Are you getting enough sodium in your diet? Have you tried high meat?

Offline ben1234

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 03:07:44 am »
I just meant the fats from whole plants foods (and obviously if I had coconut oil or something it would as well). I'm talking about all plant fats. Whole coconuts, nuts, legume sprouts, avocados. Iirc beef heart fat mostly "melted" in my mouth as well.
Yes I get enough sodium. Unfortunately I'm unable to try high meat atm. What's the relevance?
Thanks,
Ben.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 03:47:30 am »
I think I understand. Fat from different parts of the animal have different texture. Caul fat (from around the kidneys) sticks to my mouth like peanut butter with added glue. Pericardial fat is a delicacy. Some fatty areas in animals are grisly, some chew well and release their buttery flavor. I pick my favorite fat for eating and make candles out of the fat I don't like.

Among other things, sodium regulates the digestive enzymes, so that's why one would consider sodium. Feeling animal fat as it travels the digestive tract might mean you're not producing enough lipase or something like that, but I am not aware that lipase digests one type of fat over another. Maybe you are eating more animal fat at once than you can handle. You might experiment to see if this happen with smaller amounts of animal fat.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 05:08:43 am »
High meat is good for improving digestion of meat.

What is your history of gallbladder or liver issues? Whenever fat isn't being digested, the gallbladder is a likely problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk