Author Topic: Renewing raw  (Read 8000 times)

Offline Satya

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Renewing raw
« on: August 25, 2015, 03:54:20 am »
Hello.  I thought I would introduce myself.  I was "Satya" on this forum back when it started, but I got just a wee bit sidetracked on a carnivorous diet eventually.  That "identity" overshadowed the raw component of my diet, and when I started the forum dirtycarnivore (now long gone) devoted to eating high on the hog, after fiddling with ZIOH forum, I was somewhat consumed by all that.  I ended up feeling that such a high proportion of animal foods did not fit me so well after several years, and so I let it all decline.  And I got my life back. 

So I am not new to traditional eating, which does indeed have at least a good portion of foods eaten raw, universally.  And of course, all foods were eaten raw by humans historically.  I do know that I feel best eating a large amount of my foods in the raw and sometimes wriggling state.  I have some bone stocks and some cooked foods at least for now.  I guess in some ways I am starting over by embracing more and more raw foods.  So I know a lot but I am also starting over and have a lot I can learn.

I do believe that restricting plant foods did have bad results for me LONG TERM.  I never totally gave up on plants either.  I had herbs, greens, seaweeds, etc.  But eventually it did not work so well.  I do believe I suffered from mucous deficiency after over 4 years vlc which eventually resulted in some full blown food allergies.  Yes, I always had "issues" with nightshades, but I believe the long term vlc diet resulted in hives which manifested themselves 1.5 years ago.  Still I have allergic reactions to all nightshades now, much worse than ever.  The good news is that I seem to be in pretty good health otherwise, and can tolerate most paleo foods.

I look forward to relearning and learning more and sharing what I can.  I thank GS and Tyler for saving my user name for me and having me back.  ;)  Cheers!

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Renewing raw
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:23:14 am »
Welcome back! :D

I was new when you left, so you probably don't remember me, but I remember you and glad you're here!

Offline Satya

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 05:45:00 am »
Thanks, Ioanna.  Of course I remember you.  And I remember your avatar, as I think this is the one you always had.  I don't remember what everyone was doing, and obviously time has gone by so things may have changed.  I look forward to getting back into the fold.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:00:53 am »
There has been a backlash against RZC/RVLC since here on rawpaleoforum.  So much so that we were asked by one member to remove the zero-carbs forum. I pointed out that, a long while ago, you had once asked to remove the carb-containing-diet-forums because there was, at the time, very little activity in those forums, due to lack of interest. I am glad that, on both occasions, I said no and made it clear that ALL rawpalaeodiet viewpoints were acceptable. I think that different individuals will react differently to different dietary combinations on a raw level, so that, as long as we keep things raw and palaeo, things will improve.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Satya

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:10:26 am »
Haha.  You may well be right.  Certainly you have done a good job keeping things open, and not too limited in scope.  This forum survives, after all.  Bravo for steering a large ship that contains many differing views. 

And I definitely think that people do well on somewhat different diets, training, whathaveyou.  IOW, I would never generalize my experiences and peddle them to the masses.  I eat vlc many times still.  I just would never deny fresh fruit in the summer for carb content any longer.  To each his own.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 06:30:48 am »
I ended up feeling that such a high proportion of animal foods did not fit me so well after several years, and so I let it all decline.
Yup, same here, and expanding the diet to include more plant foods that I found I could tolerate (which certain therapeutic aids helped with) did make my life a bit easier too. I suspect that going VLC also worsened my tolerance of some plant foods in the longer run.

I think it's important to keep the RZC/RVLC/Carnivorous/Zero Carb Approach section here somewhere as a warning about potential pitfalls (though I'm biased because some of the warnings are mine :) ).
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Satya

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 06:39:06 am »
Hey, thinking back to why I ever went vlc to begin with makes me think of Nicola from Switzerland.  What ever happened to her?  She was constantly cross posting here from ZIOH, and eventually I became interested in it due to that and the fact that Wodgina, Lex and Phil were all into it then.

PS.  And thank the Gods I don't have to prove myself a human posting here now!  Do I get to put up an avatar soon too?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 06:51:08 am »
I don't know. That also reminds me that Lex hasn't posted in quite a while. He was the one who interested me in raw VLC.

He explained his infrequent posting due to turning his focus to other interests, but I was hoping that he would update us from time to time.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 08:34:05 am »
if you suspect low mucus you should be drinking raw milk.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 09:33:04 am »
Welcome back.  I think humans have "seasons" themselves.  I myself am in the season of low animal food.  And more fruits again.  Well, it is DURIAN season.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Satya

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 04:12:10 am »
if you suspect low mucus you should be drinking raw milk.

Interesting observation about milk.  I have never been a drinker of milk (raw or adulterated), and the mucous issue seems to have been resolved on its own.  But, I have been more liberal in my (mainly raw) dairy usage since the original allergic episode.  And the story is actually much longer than I posted here.  In any case, dairy has been known to increase mucous production, hasn't it?

Hey GS, yeah, my seasons change often, haha.  I still have yet to experience the durian, though.

Phil, maybe I will post in Lex's journal and see if he responds.  If not I can email him.  Last I checked he still likes me.

Offline Satya

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 12:47:52 am »
Haha.  You may well be right.  Certainly you have done a good job keeping things open, and not too limited in scope.  This forum survives, after all.  Bravo for steering a large ship that contains many differing views. 

I am recalling that I may have had issue with the Wai diet?  In any case, I was thinking about being limited in scope, vs being too broad.  And also, I want to get a few more things out in the open before I go on.

First, I think when I started dirty carnivore forum, it was at both too broad and too limited.  Broad in the sense that many people were there to lose weight at any cost, whereas I personally had always been about health.  And so we had all these people pushing the grocery store muscle meat and water as the elixir of life, and damn sure of it too as they followed it for a whole year.  This mixed with people embracing (imho) disordered eating way beyond that, to more reasonable weight loss seekers and finally the health crowd embracing various shades of raw, traditional or whathaveyou.  Strict in that it was explicitly high animal foods.  I think it was in the first week that I received serious email threats from the owner of another forum whose membership numbers dropped precipitously when dc started.  Then people trying to reveal my identity, which I was more concerned about then than now.  This had me losing sleep for a week.  I have not posted about this publicly since it happened.  Perhaps as a result dc was too strict in the beginning with what dogmas and shit we allowed to be posted.  But it was voted on generally by moderators, who had all sorts of weirdness to contend with.  Maybe people who experienced it will have better understanding of why we did what we did.  It was a fucking nightmare at the beginning and we were forced to react to a bunch of differnt bs.  And maybe it became too much of a job and not enough fun?

So believe me, I am really happy to be here as just a plain member, thinking about increasing my health as I have since I was a teen.  I have lightened up a whole lot, which is in itself health-producing.  And I also truly do appreciate first hand what it means to administrate and moderate a large forum.  GS and TD (and others of course) really have done a good job here, although they are not perfect either.  Considering the work involved though, I have to hand it to them for striking a pretty good balance long term.  But then, this place has generally been about health first and foremost, which does make it easier. 

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 06:52:33 am »
I can certainly relate to moderation being more work than fun.

Offline kalo

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 04:55:17 am »
Hello,
I have been on the path of Zero Carb for a while and found it helpful. I think it allowed my gut to significantly heal. As bone broths, and soups, and fermented cabbage didn't do a thing. GS pointed out the therapeutic effects and I can always resort back to it if my guts hurt. However, per Paleophil's advice, I added in Resistant Starch to the diet and finally have regular bowel movements (instead of IBS-D). I just need to be careful as I am feeling pretty full after eating more veggies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk