Author Topic: Question re calories etc.  (Read 3519 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Question re calories etc.
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:17:21 pm »
I was wondering if  anyone here has a rough idea of how much percentage of weight the bone has in a big leg of lamb or mutton,by comparison to the overall weight of the leg?

Also, I can easily look up fat-percentages of grainfed meats, but does anyone here have a clue as to what the usual rough percentage of total fat is in a kilo of 100% grassfed beef (muscle-)meat, say?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: Question re calories etc.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 07:09:31 pm »
I was wondering if  anyone here has a rough idea of how much percentage of weight the bone has in a big leg of lamb or mutton,by comparison to the overall weight of the leg?

Also, I can easily look up fat-percentages of grainfed meats, but does anyone here have a clue as to what the usual rough percentage of total fat is in a kilo of 100% grassfed beef (muscle-)meat, say?

I asked at my slaughterhouse today when I got my suet and muscle fat; about 30% of a leg is bone. This is about what I thought when I was eating mutton.

Your other question  -[ would that not depend on the breed (Argentine beef are different breed to French...), the age, the time of year and the cut?

Nicola

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:35:48 pm »
Sure, but I thought there might be a rough average.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 02:05:58 pm »
Not sure of this, and have forgotten where I read it, but fat percentage in grassfed and grass finished beef muscle would be ~2%.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 05:38:22 pm »
Not sure of this, and have forgotten where I read it, but fat percentage in grassfed and grass finished beef muscle would be ~2%.

I can't believe it's that little. That would imply that one couldn't do zero-carb without eating grainfed meat or extremely fatty sea-animals like walruses. I thought to avoid rabbit starvation one would need a minimum 10%  of total weight as fat, with fat needing to be c.60% of calories, right?
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:58:59 pm »
By law, cattle are slaughtered (my area) at no more than 30 months old; it takes more time for them to get fat
This is excluding the fat outside muscles such as hide and kidney fat, and there's not much of that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk