Author Topic: Organic farmed salmon...thoughts  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Organic farmed salmon...thoughts
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:17:23 am »
Wondered what you thought of organic farmed fish as a food source...advantages - a bit cheaper here than wild fish, fairly easily available so would make a good meal on the go.

http://www.purelyorganic.org.uk/page19.html - this link would have it that it's free of pesticides, chemicals etc.

However, some sources state potential problems from overcrowding although I could not find any specifics.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Organic farmed salmon...thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 05:12:24 am »
We have a lot of "Organic" fish farms here in the USA.  I've toured several and all of them use a pestecide free, all natural fish food that comes in 50 lbs sacks.  I read the ingredients and it contains: rice flour, wheat gluten, rice hulls, soymeal, chicken byproducts, etc etc etc.  All this stuff may be "organic" but it sure isn't natural food for the fish.  Also, just like grains mess up the fatty acid profile of beef, it does a number on the Omega 3 fatty acids in the fish as well.

Long ago I decided to stay away from "farmed" fish regardless of how organic they were.

Lex

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:23:18 am »
I don't buy ANY farmed fish.
Only WILD ocean fish for me and my family.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 10:21:45 am »
When it comes to buying animals for food the listing "organic" doesn't mean much. For fruits and veggies it's a decent guarantee there won't be any or as much toxic chemicals sprayed on them for whatever reason, but with animals it's no guarantee they aren't being fed junk and being raised in a very unhealthy environment. I remember at the AV lecture I went to he said he only ever found one good fish farm and I believe he said it was in the Netherlands. They were feeding the fish real food, everywhere else he ever saw they feed them all kinds of junk and almost always also feed them dye to make their flesh look the right color after it doesn't because of the unhealthy diet. Organic dye is of course still dye and not something I want to be eating.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 10:00:55 pm »
Thanks....guess you really have to do your homework about where it comes from.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 11:58:16 pm »
Farmed shellfish, I've heard, is supposed to be better than farmed fish. This is partly because some shellfish like oysters simply sift food-particles from the water so that they can be farmed anywhere without needing to feed them on unnatural foods. That said, all the farmed shellfish I've bought in the past didn't compare, tastewise, to wildcaught shellfish.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:36:19 am »
I agree with Lex. In my area wild salmon is less expensive than the farm raised. Kansas, USA.
Naturally, Don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk