Author Topic: Need Tips for the Lex WOE in tiny apartment  (Read 4845 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Need Tips for the Lex WOE in tiny apartment
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:56:24 am »
Given my increasing benefits as I move toward a Lex Rooker / Genius ;D / Slankers Way of Eating, I want to figure out how I can go whole hog in a tiny 1 BR apartment that I live alone in. I would appreciate any tips from Lex or anyone else.

Freezer:
The maximum floor space I can devote to this is about 4 ft x 2.5 ft, the less the better. I was thinking of getting a small, 2.5 - 3.5 cu. fot tall and thin freezer instead of the usual wide and low type, but Lex's freezer is 7 cu ft so he can store 3 months worth of Slankers' meats. The dimensions of Lex's freezer (31 1/2"W x 36 3/8"H x 24"D) would fit in my available space. The tall and narrow ones tend to have side-doors, which are less efficient, though some have top lids. Should I go with the 7 cu footer and just deal with the way it will dominate my kitchen and likely generate laughter from visitors (though getting laughed at doesn't bother me given the calmness and tranquility that a meat/fat based diet gives me and I tend to laugh right along with people), or should I go smaller and order more frequently? Opinions?

I also have a very tiny dorm-style refrigerator/freezer, but I think that will be enough for me to hold defrosted meats.

Raw meat acclimation issue:
I'm hesitant to buy a big order of Slankers meats until I'm more acclimated to eating ground raw meat and fat. For example, raw grass-fed hamburger from the health store still has a gross mouth feel to me. What is the best way to acclimate myself? I'm thinking I could go ahead and buy it and just start out by cooking it to medium rare and then gradually reduce that to rare.

"Pet food" and expensive grinder issues:
Eating raw meat is already quite a social turnoff. I don't like the idea of a lady friend opening up my fridge or freezer and finding something labeled "pet food," in there, given that I don't own a pet. Lex, is the Slanker's pet food you buy labeled that way? If so, do you think if enough of us asked, would Slankers come up with a ready-made raw Paleo meat/fat/organs mix labeled for humans that would make things even easier than your method of buying chili beef and grinding together with "pet food" organs and suet? Then we also wouldn't necessarily need to buy expensive food grinders. Maybe more of us would buy this Slankers product? Anyone else interested in that?

Thanks

>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Need Tips for the Lex WOE in tiny apartment
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:47:57 pm »
"Pet food" and expensive grinder issues:
.. Lex, is the Slanker's pet food you buy labeled that way? If so, do you think if enough of us asked, would Slankers come up with a ready-made raw Paleo meat/fat/organs mix labeled for humans that would make things even easier than your method of buying chili beef and grinding together with "pet food" organs and suet? Then we also wouldn't necessarily need to buy expensive food grinders. Maybe more of us would buy this Slankers product? Anyone else interested in that?

I haven't tried Slankers yet.  I have tried some organs and glands.  I share what I eat with my cats.  I like if we like the same things.  I open one individually wrapped gland/organ per day.  My cats are disliking it or throwing these glands/organs up or just not eating them.  I'm wondering if they'd like it better if it was prepared for pets the Slanker way.  I'm flexible, I think I could eat it if it was chopped and mixed.  I'd have to try it once and see.

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:49:19 am »
Yes, the Slankers pet food is labeled "Dog & Cat Food".  It is not USDA inspected so Ted won't sell it to you if he knows you are going to eat it.  If he did, he could go to jail.  I just order it and take the "don't ask, don't tell" postion and all is well.  As for how it looks to visitors, I don't have many visitors (except the raw food crowd) that come to my home and investigate what I have in my freezer.  I thaw my food and then mix it and put it in single portion ziploc bags which I store in the refrigerator until I eat them.  These are not labeled and just look like ground beef.

Space is something I can't help with.  My nephews were in a similar situation living in a very small 1 br appartment.  I purchased them a 7 cu ft chest freezer and they put it at the end of a counter between their kitchen and living room/dining area.  You just have to decide what you can live with.

Lex

Offline cjb

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:17:12 am »
Is the dog/cat food just ground beef or organs as well? 

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 05:54:22 am »
It's meat and organs.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:12:52 am »
Thanks Lex. It sounds like the freezer will be livable. I sorta convinced myself as I was writing the last post too.

As for visitors, I was thinking more along the lines of a lady friend, who notices I eat some weird stuff, opens the freezer out of curiosity to see WTH else I eat and sees nothing but beef, fat, and "PET FOOD!?!--he doesn't have a pet!", and runs the hell out the door. LOL

RawZi, the pet food is indeed meat and organs and is not held to the same standards as those intended for humans (I think Lex said it tends to come from older animals), but Lex has been eating it for years and grassfed old animal is probably safer than grainfed young animal, so I'm game. It conveniently has a nice mixture of organs.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk