Author Topic: eating fruit and natural mineral supplements, my experience  (Read 10670 times)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I had a pretty terrible lipid profile on my last blood work (although everything else was great, my liver enzymes were right for the first time in 10 years).  There is a pretty severe history of heart disease in my family.  I'm not 100% sure what caused it, it was either:

1. job stress
2. lots of raw bacon fat (I doubt it, but it was preserved with a little salt and sugar)
3. raw chocolate (again, doubting it, just throwing it out there)
4. Adderall (which is very hard on the heart, like all amphetamines)

I don't work at the same job, I don't eat much of the raw bacon fat anymore, I've pretty much cut out the raw chocolate, and I'm off the Adderall and on something else (a non-stimulant, and yes, I am very ADD, and it helps me)

I have been eating more fruit, partially because

1.  it's really hot this summer
2.  It doesn't seem to mess with my head as much now, no panic attacks, etc.
3.  I think it might help with the lipid profile, i.e., reduce chances of heart disease

I have also been eating a lot of dolomite and bone meal.  I have actually found that those two things really stop the fruit from damaging my teeth.  I put a little bone meal or dolomite under my tongue right after eating, and swish it around for 5 or 10 minutes, and then do it again.  I do this for probably 30 minutes to 3 hours after each meal, and it really has helped my teeth.  I don't plan to keep on eating this much fruit, but the dolomite and bone meal have really, really helped my teeth a lot.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: eating fruit and natural mineral supplements, my experience
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 11:37:39 pm »
What were your lipid numbers?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 01:14:28 am »
cherimoya_kid, you know my feelings on fruit... the more the better!!!!  :D  8)  It might be wise to take a little fish/eggs two or maybe three times a week, just so you're not too far into the unknown.  ;) Or is it? I don't know, you can patch it up with supplements.

"You say nearly all fruit is the perfect diet and yet you go off taking supplements from fish oils to calcium to vitamin d to vitamin b12, without which you could get in a lot of trouble".

First of all, I'm not entirely convinced anything bad would happen to me without them. Secondly, the fruits we eat nowadays are already mutilated, it's a known fact that vitamin b12 occurs more than enough in fruits in the wild... the same thing with all the other "patches".

Thanks for your suggestions on dolomite and bone meal, I'll be sure to check them out. They might be less toxic and cheaper and taste better than mouthwash I try to sometimes use.

It's true the fruit can be a problem for teeth at times, but it's literally the only caveat for fruit for me.

Think about it, you feel wonderful on fruit don't you? Admit it. It's good that you're keeping an open mind as well, unlike paleo phil for example. And I'm sorry for having a go at you before.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 04:43:18 am »
cherimoya_kid, you know my feelings on fruit... the more the better!!!!  :D  8)  It might be wise to take a little fish/eggs two or maybe three times a week, just so you're not too far into the unknown.  ;) Or is it? I don't know, you can patch it up with supplements.

I said MORE fruit.  Before now,  I was eating NO fruit.  I might have 1 pound of fruit a day, maybe 1.5 pounds at most.  I still eat a LOT of meat, fat, fish, etc..

Thanks for your suggestions on dolomite and bone meal, I'll be sure to check them out. They might be less toxic and cheaper and taste better than mouthwash I try to sometimes use.

It's best to put some bone meal/dolomite/pascalite in your mouth and swish it right after eating fruit.  Do this 3-4 times after eating fruit, and it will definitely help your teeth.

Think about it, you feel wonderful on fruit don't you? Admit it. It's good that you're keeping an open mind as well, unlike paleo phil for example. And I'm sorry for having a go at you before.

I find that my ADD is a little worse on fruit.  I also find that my digestion is a little worse on fruit. I am learning how to handle the inherent problems that come with fruit consumption better, though, over the years.  I still don't think it should be the primary calorie source.  The only fruitarians I know are emaciated, have terrible teeth, and totally unmotivated to function in the working world. 

The thing that really destroys fruitarianism as a diet, though, isn't just the teeth problems.  It's the common mental problems, as well as the lack of motivation, drive, libido, etc.  Fruitarian women complain how hard it is to find a fruitarian man who has a job, a sex drive, and is motivated to do work.  That's just how it is. 

On the other hand, there are plenty of raw zero-carbers here who function in the world just fine.  They have libidos, jobs, and motivation.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 06:15:55 am »
What were your lipid numbers?

Embarrassing awful, but here goes:

***LDL Particle number--1827 nmol/Liter

***small LDL-particle number--1792 nmol/Liter

cholesterol--141 mg/Liter

LDL-C--98 mg/Liter

***HDL-C--37 mg/dL

triglycerides--32

LDL particle size--19.2

***large HDL-P--3.4 umol/Liter

large VDPL-P--0.1 nmol/Liter

The large VLDL-P is actually good, as far as I know, and the triglycerides are good as well, as far as I know. and the cholesterol is OK.  Most of the rest is atrocious.  LOL

I'm planning to go back in about 2 or 3 months and get it done again.  These numbers were from the end of April.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 06:51:14 am »
Those numbers are surprisingly bad if all you were eating in addition to chocolate and bacon was raw meat/fat/organs. Could you list everything you were eating and how long you were eating it, so we can get a better idea of where the problem might be?

I don't know what you were eating, but I would suspect something like dairy products (such as cheese, butter, yogurt or kefir) more than lack of fruit. At another Paleo forum I've noticed over the years that most of the people who continued to have problems while claiming to be "Paleo" were actually still eating dairy (often unpasteurized) products of some sort, or some other nonPaleo food. Some refused to give up dairy products despite their problems because they were following a guru or "experts," such as the WAPF, instead of puzzling things out themselves.

For example, one of my problem food categories turned out to be nightshades--even tomatoes and bell peppers. I had suspected them a bit, but I initially decided they were probably Paleo and that the claims about them causing arthritis and the like were probably overdone. However, years later my health did improve when I eliminated them.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 06:58:11 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 07:33:18 am »
For example, one of my problem food categories turned out to be nightshades--even tomatoes and bell peppers. I had suspected them a bit, but I initially decided they were probably Paleo and that the claims about them causing arthritis and the like were probably overdone. However, years later my health did improve when I eliminated them.

PaleoPhil, it took years between giving up the nightshades and noticing improvement?  What improvements did you notice?... arthritis??

Thanks!... Just curious :)

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 08:25:33 am »
if you are seriously concerned I would advise you to go zero carb but lower your overall calories. I don't think just adding fruit to the rest of your diet will do anything but you'll find out I guess.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 09:36:05 am »
PaleoPhil, it took years between giving up the nightshades and noticing improvement?  What improvements did you notice?... arthritis??

Thanks!... Just curious :)
Actually, I was eating nighshades (tomatoes, tomato-based sauces, peppers, etc.) for years in what I thought was a Paleo-type diet and occasionally cheating by allowing myself some potato or potato products. It only took a month or so after I eliminated nightshades and winter squashes to notice I was doing better without them. I had actually avoided them at the start of my Paleo diet and had also done very well, which is what helped convince me to eliminate them again. I had let relatives and friends convince me that I was being too strict and should expand the types of foods I was eating--one of the bigger mistakes I've ever made.

Arthritis and gouty arthritis are indeed commonly cited as being caused or aggravated by nightshades. My problems were more related to GI, skin, hair, musculoskeletal, dental, sleep and other issues. Most of these issues were not nearly as bad as they had been on a conventional "healthy" diet, but they were gradually worsening before I started restricting my Paleo diet further. Most of them improved when I eliminated nightshades and winter squashes, and they improved still further when I moved toward a Lex Rooker-type diet by eliminating cheating, reducing carbs to very low levels, increasing the amount of animal and fish fats in my diet and reducing the degree to which I was cooking foods, including meats.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 09:29:29 am »
I gave up nightshades way early because I used to suffer from eczema.

Our anthroposophic doctor who sees our kids also warned us about nightshades for children.

So our household is a no-nightshade household.

I made this anti-nightshade blog post http://www.eczemacure.info/blog/2008/01/02/avoid-nightshades-potatoes-tomatoes-eggplants-peppers-tobacco/
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »
    Thank you for the blog GS :)

For a few years while I ate about 30% of my food cooked, I avoided nightshades after reading Ann Marie Colbin's theory on nightshades.  I used to have joint pains, and going without the nightshades got rid of most of them.  I'm mostly to all raw now, except when making my partner happy.  A little tomato or eggplant raw don't seem to bother me.  If I ever go 100% no carb all meat paleo, or Wai I guess I'll have to stay away from that family again.   

I believe some Native Americans may have eaten some of their meats, which were often raw, with peppers and tomatoes before white man got here.  Could it be more suited to some people than others?

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 07:26:55 pm »
Many Native Americans also ate corn and beans before the white man came and their rate of caries went up when they started doing this.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 10:51:05 pm »
Those numbers are surprisingly bad if all you were eating in addition to chocolate and bacon was raw meat/fat/organs. Could you list everything you were eating and how long you were eating it, so we can get a better idea of where the problem might be?

I don't know what you were eating, but I would suspect something like dairy products (such as cheese, butter, yogurt or kefir) more than lack of fruit. At another Paleo forum I've noticed over the years that most of the people who continued to have problems while claiming to be "Paleo" were actually still eating dairy (often unpasteurized) products of some sort, or some other nonPaleo food. Some refused to give up dairy products despite their problems because they were following a guru or "experts," such as the WAPF, instead of puzzling things out themselves.

A lot of raw scallops, raw bacon fat, some raw spinach, raw ground beef, raw tuna, and some kefirized raw cow and goat milk, plus the raw chocolate.  I don't know, it could be the raw dairy.  I'm going to keep eating it in about the same amount, and get retested in about 3 months.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 03:56:05 pm »
Like paleophil said, it's highly likely to be the raw dairy given so many peoples' negative experiences with the stuff.Fruit causes far fewer issues, if at all. Ditch the dairy.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 04:07:00 pm »
    If there was a formaldehyde dip on the scallops, would that do it too?  And the raw chocolate?

When the Native Americans started doing what?  Taking supplements?  Eating more fruit?  Also, these days people mix salt, vinegar, onions etc with their tomatoes for meat sauce.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 12:12:00 pm »
    If there was a formaldehyde dip on the scallops, would that do it too?  And the raw chocolate?

When the Native Americans started doing what?  Taking supplements?  Eating more fruit?  Also, these days people mix salt, vinegar, onions etc with their tomatoes for meat sauce.

I'll clarify: "Many Native Americans also ate corn and beans before the white man came and their rate of caries went up when they started [eating corn and beans]."

In other words, just because some Native Americans ate something [for a relatively brief time span AFTER the Paleo era--that is, for less than ten thousand years] does not automatically make it Paleo [which covers the time span of 2.5 million years ago to around 10 thousand or so years ago] or healthy.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:37:09 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 12:21:06 pm »
I'll clarify: "Many Native Americans also ate corn and beans before the white man came and their rate of caries went up when they started [eating corn and beans]."

In other words, just because some Native Americans ate something does not automatically make it Paleo or healthy.

That's the same as saying "just because paleo man did something does not automatically make it Paleo or healthy". Nevermind, I don't want to argue this..

Offline dizzybee6

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 06:49:19 am »
if you go to this link there is a test i recently took to find out if I had hereditary heart disease or if i just had the tendencies. this company gensona looks at your gene's specifically the il1 (affects the heart). I also did the balanced health test. it was extremely simple and gave me a non biaste result based on my own body and not the assumptions of another person (dr or nutritionalist). If you are curious let me know. I am really glad idid it and i also didn't have to wonder if i ate well the week before a blood test or not. (blood tests, depending on what they are looking for may notbe very accurate)  Example, eating fruit before a blood sugar test will skew the results..etc   any way,look at the link and you can read more about gensona too if it helps make the ecision to trythe test easier for you.   I'm glad i did it, it als told me things i already knew like how I have to be cautious with my immune system because i didnt absord b vitamins properly.  (now it is not so much a problem because i'm ware of it and can work on it)  :o)
        http://jsimmons.qhealthbeauty.com/products/product.aspx?itemno=104009

Offline vernon

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 02:58:17 pm »

This is my personal experience and conclusion after trying many diets.

(I currently have some autoimmune symptoms and im trying to improve my diet to cure that)

There is no one fit all diet. Everyone's bodies is different. Some people do better with a 100% vegetarian diet. Some more on meat and fats. Some can eat alot of fruits without side effects.

For me, im more of a meat/fat and some vege and fruits person. I cant take lots of fruits, its just not for me. And i have to take cooked meat. My body type isnt suitable for too much raw.

But one thing is certain, carbo is a sure no no for everyone.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 03:05:10 pm »
This is my personal experience and conclusion after trying many diets.

(I currently have some autoimmune symptoms and im trying to improve my diet to cure that)

There is no one fit all diet. Everyone's bodies is different. Some people do better with a 100% vegetarian diet. Some more on meat and fats. Some can eat alot of fruits without side effects.

For me, im more of a meat/fat and some vege and fruits person. I cant take lots of fruits, its just not for me. And i have to take cooked meat. My body type isnt suitable for too much raw.

But one thing is certain, carbo is a sure no no for everyone.

I am so happy for you!  So much progress!
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk