Author Topic: RAF quality  (Read 8331 times)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
RAF quality
« on: July 27, 2009, 07:04:26 pm »

How do you deal with the poor availability of meat and eggs of the required quality for raw consumption ? Here in Europe, it's very difficult to find exclusively grass fed meat. Wild boars ravage corn fields and garbage dumps, deers don't do much better. For the eggs, the problem is worse: hens , ducks and gooses are always fed with some sort of grains and most of the time with cooked food leftovers, bread or industrial food. Organic meat and eggs aren't good neither since the breeders are unaware of the problems due to thermal damage and grain consumption, especially wheat .

If you're are lucky enough to find exclusively grass fed meat from a trustable source, it is very expensive here and it would ruin me if I were feeding on raw meat only. Furthermore, sometimes you think the breeder is honest and trustable only to find out latter that he's been cheating for years, notwithstanding the fact that he pretends to eat exclusively raw himself.

Some of us are setting their own cattle and poultry breeding, but that implies to buy or rent some kind of farm; obtaining enough meat to feed exclusively on it would be a exhausting full time job.

What about New-Zealand chilled lamb ? It is apparently subject to electrical stimulation. Is it a problem ? I mean, could it damage some proteins or other organic macromolecules ?
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T9G-3WWDGV6-5&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=b3c5d94c68ded2538fcb5e4e84374a99

Cheers
Francois   
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

William

Re: RAF quality
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 07:19:33 pm »
I've been lucky enough to find a farmer who has grassfed and grassfinished oxen, this is within 300 km.
That's for beef. Nothing else of decent quality.

Beef cattle are easy and profitable if there is enough land, but not enough to support a farm family, so the farmer and wife have work off the farm.

My problem is that the grass growing season is so short in Canada that the animals don't have time to get fat, so I'm eating feedlot quality tallow. Yuck.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:30:36 pm »
I've got access to mostly grass-fed meat (horse meat, goat meat, lamb, mutton) and good quality eggs
It's worse with fish, so I don't eat them at all.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:25:07 am »
Early on in my transition to a paleo lifestlye, I didn't have a source for grass fed meat, and I wasn't sure I would stick with this way of eating anyway, so I decided to start by eating grain fed meats from my local supermarket.   I'm convinced that there are a multitude of nutritional differences between meat from grass fed animals and those finished on grain in the feed lot, so, my goal was to get to grass fed/finished meats once I determined that I had the will power to stick with this diet.  In the mean time, the research that I did on meat and fat showed that one of the major differences between pastured animals and grain fed animals was the significantly greater Omega3 content of the fat in grass fed animals.  The difference is rather large with grass fed animals have something between 25% to 50% Omega3 fatty acids where the grain fed had around 3% to 5% Omega3 fatty acids.

My solution was to eat normal grain finished meats and supplement each meal with inexpensvie Omega3 fish oil gel caps.  I chose to eat the 22% and 30% fat ground beef because it was least expensive, and for each pound of meat I ate I'd take 10 gel caps (about 10 grams).  If you get your fish oil in bulk this would be about 10 ml or 2 teaspoons.  I did this for over a year with great results.

Not perfect, but then nothing is....

Lex

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:23:41 am »
yes I wish Australia had an equivalent of Slankers  >:

I can get grass fed meats but only a limited selection and more expensive. I could travel to a farm but that is quite inconvenient.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 09:36:52 am »
Are you sure invisible? I can get grassfed quite easily but I also eat ordinary mince from the butcher because meat here is grass fed and grain finished so not to bad.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

carnivore

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 01:09:34 pm »
Furthermore, sometimes you think the breeder is honest and trustable only to find out latter that he's been cheating for years, notwithstanding the fact that he pretends to eat exclusively raw himself.    

:o

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 09:27:19 pm »
Are you sure invisible? I can get grassfed quite easily but I also eat ordinary mince from the butcher because meat here is grass fed and grain finished so not to bad.

things like beef organs, suet, high fat ground beef I can't get. The cuts with more fat that are available like scotch fillet or porterhouse are very expensive. 'Organic' meat in Australia is legally meant to be grass fed I think, but I am skeptical. I have eaten just regular meat raw sometimes but I thought that a cow finished on grain removes any benefit of eating grass, so much that is practically the same as eating a cow which has always eaten grass.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:51:07 pm »

What about the fresh Australian horse meat available at some supermarkets in Switzerland (shipped by air I think)? Are Australian horses grain fed or not ?
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 10:48:08 pm »
There are times when it is worth the trip.
May as well travel to where your meat is fed and slaughtered to see how they go about their business.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 01:34:21 am »
What about the fresh Australian horse meat available at some supermarkets in Switzerland (shipped by air I think)? Are Australian horses grain fed or not ?

The horse meat in Switzerland will never be from Australia! I used to eat horse meat and that was always Swiss or from Canada/USA. You will never know the grain fed or grass fed for shore - just do your best and stay open to what you can find threw connections to farmers or good stores.

Nicola

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 02:40:59 am »
The horse meat in Switzerland will never be from Australia! I used to eat horse meat and that was always Swiss or from Canada/USA. You will never know the grain fed or grass fed for shore - just do your best and stay open to what you can find threw connections to farmers or good stores.
Nicola

Yes, Nicola you can find Australian horse meat in Aligro supermarkets at Chavannes-Renens(Lausanne) and Carouge (Geneva). http://www.aligro.ch/index1024_d.cfm. I lived very near the first till recently. I would never eat US or Canadian horse meat since they are most probably at least "grain finished".

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 07:54:47 am »
There are times when it is worth the trip.
May as well travel to where your meat is fed and slaughtered to see how they go about their business.

Eventually I will travel to a farm to get grass fed meat straight from the source, but it's a bit inconvenient at the moment. Need a portable freezer amongst other things first.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk