Author Topic: Teeth Recovering on RAF  (Read 28868 times)

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Teeth Recovering on RAF
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 07:49:38 am »
I'm so sick of the seriously salty cheeses I have to deal with at work. I can understand a bit....but not THAT much

Sorry if i missed a point - why do you consider salt bad for teeth?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 11:10:19 am »
    Two reasons:

1.  The cheese already has minerals you want for your teeth.  Salting it not only kills healthy bacteria nthat we would have wanted to rebuild our health, but also can partially replace our minerals with salt, not a thing I want to do while trying to grow bone and tooth.

2.  Salt can encourage swelling to happen.  The swelling can push on the nerves of the teeth.  If we already had tooth pain, this increases the pain.

Raw unsalted cheese actually helps mitigate tooth pain.  I still would recommend it.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline chasmyn

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 11:45:52 am »
RawZi - is this true of all salt? Not just in cheese? I had no idea.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 01:19:23 pm »
    It depends on what the rest of your diet is and the state of your health and teeth.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 04:57:58 pm »
I now recall that almost all the genuinely raw cheeses I've seen in the UK have always been thoroughly salted - now I realise that's because the salt kills off the bacteria. Yuck!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline zenfood

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 07:27:02 pm »
I believe salt mostly preserves from BAD bacteria - think about sauerkraut, kim chi, tamari, and so many other fermented products. they are filled with healthy bacteria even though there is loads of sea salt in there. if salt was to kill bacteria how could they ever ferment?

geez, if salt was to kill bacteria how could there ever have been life on earth? =P

or maybe i didnt get exactly what you mean? :s

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 10:40:54 pm »
    Have you made miso, sauerkraut and kimchi?  I have.  You don't have to use salt.  Of course it's a different product then.  I have been vegan.  When I was, unsalted kraut helped me.  Eating raw meat now, sauerkraut doesn't seem to work.  Kimchi I find a bit spicy.  Miso I felt was helping me, but not so much with the salted, yet so with the unsalted.  I got medical tests done.  Turned out miso was definitely not helping me, salted or not, rather the reverse.  It was hurting my health.

I have taken raw unsalted cheese and left it for months in the refrigerator.  I've done the same with salted raw cheeses.  The mold, consistency and taste of the unsalted raw consistently comes out excellent.  The salted has more inconsistent results, and never as good.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 06:37:38 am »
Interesting. I googled salt and bacteria and there were quite a few people claiming that salt does kill bacteria. If true, this could help explain what Stefansson observed--that salted meats did not prevent scurvy, whereas fresh meats did. Could it be that salt kills off some of the bacteria in the meats and maybe some in the human intestine as well? Could sufficient pro-biotic bacteria in a human intestine help prevent scurvy by producing vitamin C when fresh (and high) meat is eaten?

The fact that even cooked meats, mostly depleted of vitamin C, prevent scurvy has puzzled scientists for generations. Could bacteria be the missing part of the scurvy puzzle? Perhaps an all-meat diet promotes vitamin-C producing bacteria in the intestines and maybe some of the bacteria in the meat survives cooking if not cooked at too high temps or for too long? I found a couple links that indicate that some bacteria can indeed produce vitamin C:

"Examples of known bacteria able to directly produce Vitamin C include, for instance, strains from the genera of Gluconobacter, Gluconacetobacter, Acetobacter, Ketogulonicigenium, Pantoea, Pseudomonas or Escherichia. Examples of known yeast or algae include, e.g., Candida, Saccharomyces, Zygosaccharomyces, Schizosaccharomyces, Kluyveromyces or Chlorella." (Novel gene sts 22, http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20090827ptan20090215135.php)

"It has been found that the homogeneous enzyme, e.g. isolated from the soluble fraction of bacterial cells of specific microorganisms, catalyzes the oxidation of L-gulono-gamma-lactone to L-ascorbic acid." (L-gulono-gamma-lactone-dehydrogenase for producing vitamin C, http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5250428.html)

>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 12:15:18 am »
what do you mean by RAF?
bugs or country chickens

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 02:54:11 am »
Raw animal food

Offline Ayla

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 04:40:54 pm »
 :) Hej Inger! Förlåt mitt sena svar! Har haft lite fullt upp med skolstart, familjeförkylningar (Not me), tentor å annat.

I've been around here but never seem to have the time to answer or debate. I don't really have the time now either, have so much to do; writing papers, finish midterm exams etc. I study theology right now so it's kind of heavy  :D

About my diet; I did stray a little, my own fault...but at least now people around me can see that I'm not joking or trying to be special; I do get sick on traditional swedish cooking, intolerant to sukralos, fenylanalin, aspartame, white bread, sugary fruits etc. They are so thrilled about the effects when I stay raw paleo. But, one funny thing though; my brain(memory, etc) need fruit....I had to do some experiments and yes. I function much better with some fruits, berries and leafy greens. So I make these compromises. I make green smoothies with local, seasoned fruits and berries except for a occacional banana and greens, not every day, just a couple of times per week, and also. On a mainly fatty meat diet my dandruff actually came back (bakslag...)!! But it goes away cutting back on that and with having some fresh fruit produce etc. It's so weird. I have to be extremly careful concerning my dental health though, have to keep watch for how much fruits I can tolerate. The body is a strange creation...

I'm 46 now and feel grateful for not having a singel wrinkle! Wow! ;D

Okej, have to go now! Talk to you soon, Inger. Love and Peace from Sweden!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2009, 07:31:28 pm »
Good to see more members from Scandinavia, with all their fondness for raw animal foods like  gravlax etc.!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline rohim.k

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 07:35:07 pm »
Hmm great discussion. SO much important information. Thanks for the sharing guys. keep it up.

William

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 11:41:06 pm »
But, one funny thing though; my brain(memory, etc) need fruit....I had to do some experiments and yes. I function much better with some fruits, berries and leafy greens. So I make these compromises. I make green smoothies with local, seasoned fruits and berries except for a occasional banana and greens, not every day, just a couple of times per week, and also. On a mainly fatty meat diet my dandruff actually came back (bakslag...)!! But it goes away cutting back on that and with having some fresh fruit produce etc. It's so weird. I have to be extremely careful concerning my dental health though, have to keep watch for how much fruits I can tolerate. The body is a strange creation...

I'm 46 now and feel grateful for not having a single wrinkle! Wow! ;D

I use organic Colombian coffee for brain function - 3-5 cups/day at reported 1 gram carb./cup, and there is something in tobacco smoke that stimulates activity in the corpus callosum  - used for critical analysis/creation. Females might need the carbohydrates from fruit.

It might be that we need extra support for brain function because of the weaker earth's magnetic field and/or lesser oxygen content of air compared to paleolithic age.

e-cigs were an expensive alternative to tobacco, but quickly banned in Canada. Pity.

In study of theology, do they include pre-Christian North European?

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 12:22:18 am »
my brain(memory, etc) need fruit....I had to do some experiments and yes. I function much better with some fruits, berries and leafy greens. So I make these compromises. I make green smoothies with local, seasoned fruits and berries except for a occacional banana and greens, not every day, just a couple of times per week, and also. ...

I have to be extremly careful concerning my dental health though, have to keep watch for how much fruits I can tolerate. The body is a strange creation...

I'm 46 now and feel grateful for not having a singel wrinkle!

This is very similar to my experience. Like GoodSamaritan, I do believe we need plant food. I think the demands of the modern brain require some simple sugars, and perhaps that is also a gender issue, I hadn't considered that. I'm now trying to figure out now how much is enough. Your comments are extremely helpful.

Like you, I observe the same caution regarding teeth & fruit.

Congratulations on your smooth complexion - the envy of all aging women!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 06:38:07 am »
...I'm 46 now and feel grateful for not having a singel wrinkle! Wow! ;D...
Hmmm, I am nearly 46 myself without any wrinkles, but hadn't considered that unusual. Is this considered rare?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 08:52:37 am »
    i'm about your age too.  also none.  i think it IS more rare on a woman.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 10:57:54 am »
    i'm about your age too.  also none.  i think it IS more rare on a woman.
hi rawzi, the main thing to get the wrinkle free skin is to have a tress free life, than diet. people think that i go to highschool  or so. they never can guess my age. my goal is to stay young even when i'll be a grandma.
bugs or country chickens

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 11:23:25 am »
Well, I have a high-stress life, but still no wrinkles. If I wasn't balding I think people would think I go to high school too. :)

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 01:40:44 pm »
Well, I have a high-stress life, but still no wrinkles. If I wasn't balding I think people would think I go to high school too. :)
i think you get that genetically or who knows all those raw things you're eating probably fixing you up for the next five hundreds yrs to live... thank you for that lovely journal. great post!!
bugs or country chickens

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 02:21:36 pm »

Do you choose a high stress life? or circumstances not totally in your control have created a stressful life? I have no wrinkles, salt and pepper hair (pretty obvious by 25) with zero balding. I think a raw meat diet would help prevent wrinkles.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:34:35 pm by wodgina6722 »
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2009, 10:05:54 pm »
hi rawzi, the main thing to get the wrinkle free skin is to have a tress free life, than diet. people think that i go to highschool  or so. they never can guess my age. my goal is to stay young even when i'll be a grandma.

I have stress.  Health is more complicated.  One of the things was my thyroid I think.  I got a couple grays as a preteen and skin would burn deeply incredibly fast if in sun at all and my skin noticeably thinned.  In early thirties I got a bunch of grays and had a malar rash.  RAF did get rid of the grays and made the hairs in my hairline childlike again, my skin hasn't burnt since and my skin feels somewhat childlike (real moisture, bouncy).  If RAF makes a stress free life, that's my answer.  For me health is more multidimensional in other ways too.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 03:58:31 am »
If RAF makes a stress free life, that's my answer. 
I wouldn't say it makes life stress free but it does make it so much easier to deal with any stress. Things just kind of go on around me now and I don't get sucked into the frenzy.  :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 06:02:09 am »
Do you choose a high stress life? or circumstances not totally in your control have created a stressful life? I have no wrinkles, salt and pepper hair (pretty obvious by 25) with zero balding. I think a raw meat diet would help prevent wrinkles.

External circumstance stress can certainly take it's toll.  I aged more in a 2 yr period of stress out of my control than in the previous 5!  I also think genetics are a critical factor.  Both my parents look 20yrs younger than their age and most people put me in the 25-28 bracket when I'm actually 38!  I'm not sure how much my raw RAF diet has had to do with this as it's always been the case.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 10:41:07 am »
I doubt anyone chooses stress, although they might choose a career or an activity that they know involves stress because they enjoy it nonetheless, or they want the economic rewards, or because it might lead to something else, etc. Not being in control of one's circumstances is indeed recognized as one of the more egregious stressors, as I recall. Everyone's lives contain some stress, yet some people are healthy nonetheless. Some fighter pilots are calmer than some monks (I have personally known a couple of calm fighter pilots and a highly stressed monk who prayed, meditated and worked outdoors a lot). Like djr, I find that a RPD makes stress much easier to handle--stressful situations usually just sort of wash over me now.

Where I'm coming from, is some physicians and relatives attributed some of my health issues to "stress," and recommended meditation, yoga, and exercise, which I had been doing already as a result of my own research and knowledge and these things had a tiny positive effect, but not much. Of course, one can often never do enough of that stuff to satisfy such people. No matter how much you do it was never "enough," and if you do a ton of it they may even turn around and say you did "too much." If you don't improve greatly they claim you didn't follow some precise magical meditation or exercise formula correctly (even if you followed their instructions exactly). Ironically, I usually was doing more meditation, yoga and exercise than the people who claimed I must not be doing enough and could do more advanced yoga poses than any of them. I find it's the same with supplements, herbs, homeopathy, etc.--even if you follow their instructions exactly on how much to take and when, some folks will claim you must have done something wrong if you didn't get a benefit.

When I inquired about diet and nutrition, many of these same people downplayed it, or rejected it as a possible factor, or gave me bad advice like "eat lots of whole grains and fiber and cut back on red meats and saturated fats." Yet, diet is what eventually helped me more than everything else combined, and the diet that worked was pretty much the opposite of what had been recommended to me. The benefits for me re: stress and overall health came quickly and easily, dramatically, organically, and unconsciously with dietary change, once I figured out what worked for me. It didn't require any mental effort or positive thinking on my part, though it did require some discipline to stick to it.

I did get something out of yoga. I can impress people with my poses and balancing at get-togethers. I was always more flexible than average in some joints, but one of the interesting things is my balance and flexibility increased dramatically when I changed my diet, so that I now can impress people even more with my poses (although I'm not really advanced), even though I practice yoga less now. So now I do it more because it's a fun ability I have without any practice, due to the flexibility, balance and relaxation that the diet provides me, rather than a practice I do to attain improved flexibility, balance and relaxation. It's a lot like Taubes' explanation that people who eat healthier diets have more energy to exercise and get more fun and less pain from doing it than people who eat crap and exercise to try to get healthy.

I've noticed that a lot of people use stress as an excuse or as a conveniently vague catch-all to explain anything for which they don't know the cause (I'm not saying that anyone here necessarily does that). I know someone who refuses to try further modification to her diet when her husband suggests it (and her former doctor, who was one of the rare excellent primary care physicians, gave her a diet plan that cut out all refined flours and dairy--but she ignores it)--even though the changes she did make generated significant benefits. She attributes her remaining health issues to "stress." The media happily supports her in this notion, and encourages her to continue taking medications to treat her "stress."

As always, your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 10:56:25 am by PaleoPhil »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk