Author Topic: Tapeworms? Salmonella?  (Read 21719 times)

Offline Dead Is the New Alive

• Forager
    • View Profile
Tapeworms? Salmonella?
« on: October 17, 2009, 08:04:35 am »
I assume they are basically considered something of a hoax here - at least the percieved danger associated with them - but I want to hear the actual reasoning behind these beliefs. I am having trouble unearthing any discussion on the topic.

On one hand, we've got the status quo and the stories of infection by tens of thousands - even hundreds. On the other though, we've got people eating raw meat exclusively by tens of thousands - even hundreds, some for decades now. The former have a clear line of reasoning - there's evil salmonella out there and it'll kill you horribly-terribly, but the latter... I don't really know? I mean, what's your take on it - you surely have one.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Tapeworms? Salmonella?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 02:53:42 pm »
Salmonella bacteria are nowadays used to fight some type of cancers. They are perfect to clean the body of the dead degenerative tissues.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/255123/salmonella_may_cure_cancer.html?cat=5
The same is with parasites - http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2007/12/31/his_parasite_theory_stirs_a_revolution/
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 05:28:18 pm »
The prevailing view among rawists is that it's the environment not the pathogen that is the problem. For example, bacteria from grainfed cooked meat can be bad but not from raw, grassfed meat. If you want lots of info on the benefits of bacteria and parasites have a look at any mention online of the "hygiene hypothesis".

There are other side-issues of course. Meats in the west are so sanitised re use of vaccines/anti-parasitical drugs, that one stands a snowball's chance in hell of getting parasites. Incidentally, cooking doesn't necessarily protect against parasite(it's been pointed out that a third to a half of the world's population is infected by the toxoplasmosis parasite, for example - albeit most have no overt symptoms).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:49:22 am »
Quote from: Hannibal
Salmonella bacteria are nowadays used to fight some type of cancers.
The prevailing view among rawists is that it's the environment not the pathogen that is the problem. For example, bacteria from grainfed cooked meat can be bad but not from raw, grassfed meat.

Well then, what's the deal with everyone dying from salmonella supposedly recieved from undercooked or raw meat?

Perhaps, I'm thinking, the mix of raw and cooked is our culprit here. Salmonella lives in raw meat, right? You eat raw meat exclusively, it's all fine and dandy - but if you mix, salmonella will have some fun in your stomach - it will inhabit whatever cooked meat there it can find. Plausible? If so, I'd like to know how this works out - how and why does cooked meat invite salmonella to wreak havoc on us?

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 12:19:26 pm »
does anyone know anyone who's been sick with salmonella?

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 01:38:10 pm »
Well then, what's the deal with everyone dying from salmonella supposedly recieved from undercooked or raw meat?
Who is dying from salmonella? It's only diarrhea, fever or vomiting for couple of days (or less). Mercola suggests taking some good probiotics every 30 minutes until you recover - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2002/11/13/eggs-part-two.aspx
Of course it's definitely better to eat raw, but even when you eat cooked meals the salmonella isn't a threat, unless you use some antibiotics, drugs.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 01:41:20 pm »
how and why does cooked meat invite salmonella to wreak havoc on us?
Maybe because when you eat cooked meals you eat a lot of heat-created toxins, zero good bacteria, enzymes, which do not help to cleans yourself.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 05:43:51 pm »

Perhaps, I'm thinking, the mix of raw and cooked is our culprit here. Salmonella lives in raw meat, right? You eat raw meat exclusively, it's all fine and dandy - but if you mix, salmonella will have some fun in your stomach - it will inhabit whatever cooked meat there it can find. Plausible? If so, I'd like to know how this works out - how and why does cooked meat invite salmonella to wreak havoc on us?

Aajonus frequently refers to a study which found salmonella existing in 38% of all US households, yet there was no corresponding salmonella epidemic.

As regards cooked/raw, bacteria in cooked foods is much worse as it's affected by the heat-created toxins produced by the cooking process. Also, it's possible(though never heard of it)a few cooked-food-eaters might have such compromised health that they become hypernsensitive to some bacteria.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:50:13 am »
Who is dying from salmonella?

That's the status quo and the official word. Providing sources would be redundant, it's all over the place.

salmonella isn't a threat, unless you use some antibiotics, drugs.
Quote from: TylerDurden
Also, it's possible(though never heard of it)a few cooked-food-eaters might have such compromised health that they become hypernsensitive to some bacteria.

Actually, I believe this is where it's at. Modern Occidental internal ecosystems are simply compromised to the point where certain bacteria (like salmonella) can and do go wild and out of control. Something like harsh soap applied to sensitive skin - whilst normally, bacteria (including salmonella of course) will serve a role similar to dermabrasion - remove dead/degenerated tissue so it can regenerate.

With that said, I think it safe to assume we're all a bit out of whack and shouldn't newcomers therefore prepare the terrain there a bit before starting the raw diet - that is, supplement with probiotics? Just to be on the safe side.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:54:10 pm »
No RVAFer really needs artificial probiotics before going RVAF. Simply put, those artificial probiotics are largely useless, often not even containing enough bacteria to pass through the digestive tract, and often are of the wrong type of bacteria etc. Better to eat aged, raw meat as that's the most effective option.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 06:04:56 pm »
Better to eat aged, raw meat as that's the most effective option.
That's very true, but...
psychologically many people may find probiotics the easiest way to get beneficial bacteria
That's true that most of the probiotics on the market are useless, but there is one that is for sure effective - Lactobacillus Rhamnosus GG

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 05:05:29 am »
I've read an article claiming the same thing.  That Pro-biotic supplementation is a waste. They even went as far as claiming that sauerkraut didn't help either. I'm guessing the author was referring to store brand sauerkraut. I didn't save the article cause it was more of a rant & it didn't site any research.

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 02:35:12 am »
So we've covered bacteria, but I'm not quite convinced about parasites. I don't exactly plan on hosting tape worms unless they're really, truly harmless which I kind of doubt.

You see, I am very surprised to find very little discussion on this topic. That can mean two things - either you've been lucky not to encounter and/or harbor the worm, or you already have or have had them but not the troubles associated with them.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 03:09:53 am »
You see, I am very surprised to find very little discussion on this topic. That can mean two things - either you've been lucky not to encounter and/or harbor the worm, or you already have or have had them but not the troubles associated with them. 
But there were many discussions about bacteria and parasites. Search in the forum.
I don't know whether I harbor any worms. I don't care - I will not run do doctors every week to make sure about this issue.
What do you mean by troubles? Fever, diarrhea, vomiting? They are the best ways to cleans our bodies, so it's not the problem.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 04:32:33 pm »
So we've covered bacteria, but I'm not quite convinced about parasites. I don't exactly plan on hosting tape worms unless they're really, truly harmless which I kind of doubt.

The fact that there's no significiant mention of parasite-infestations should make it clear that parasites are not an issue for RVAFers. Personally, it doesn't matter either way. Western agriculture routinely prescribes anti-parasite remedies to domesticated animals raised for food, so that might be the reason for why parasites are so unheard of. On the other hand, people like me have eaten so much in the way of wild game(supposedly infested with parasites according to lore) that maybe the latter group are infested with parasites but since we are experiencing no negative symptoms therefrom, one has to assume that parasites are either harmless or beneficial.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 09:11:55 am »
Interestingly, leafy greens are the riskiest food for foodborne illness, according to the CSPI (not my favorite source, however). Their top 10 riskiest foods are:

Leafy greens
Eggs
Tuna
Oysters
Potatoes
Cheese
Ice cream
Tomatoes
Sprouts
Berries

Notice that raw or undercooked landbased meats don't even make the top 10. Eggs are the only food on this list that I eat, so my risk might actually be lower than the avg cooked SAD eater. Here's an excerpt from the article:

Top Ten Riskiest Foods – Leafy Greens, Eggs & Tuna
Posted by Jane Akre of the National News Desk
Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:08 PM EST

http://www.injuryboard.com/national-news/top-ten-riskiest-foods-leafy-greens-eggs-tuna.aspx?googleid=272204

The list of risky foods that are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) comes from the usually reliable public interest group, Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI).

The list includes leafy greens, tomatoes, eggs, seafood such as tuna and oysters, and ice cream.

Those foods alone account for about 40 percent of all food-borne outbreaks among FDA-regulated foods over the last 19 years involving 50,000 reported illnesses.

>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 08:02:57 am »
Phil,That's a great find, but unfortunately there are some flaws in that link;

That number is likely underreported. Health experts agree most cases of foodborne illness are never reported.

Meat is not regulated by the FDA, but by the Department of Agriculture, and has accounted for many cases of bacterial contamination. The FDA regulates nearly 80 percent of our food supply.(Not like the FDA is all that great anyways lol)

I will agree however that leafy greens seems to be the most suspect. Because it's the most treated food(pesticide) eaten by the average people.  I guess you can say, so far we (raw paleo forum) are lucky for not getting contaminated. Because from what I've heard/known wild animals do get parasites. I'm guessing Tyler & Hannibal is right. Maybe it really isn't so noticeable or health threatening as we were programed to be.!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 04:25:57 pm »

I will agree however that leafy greens seems to be the most suspect. Because it's the most treated food(pesticide) eaten by the average people.  I guess you can say, so far we (raw paleo forum) are lucky for not getting contaminated. Because from what I've heard/known wild animals do get parasites. I'm guessing Tyler & Hannibal is right. Maybe it really isn't so noticeable or health threatening as we were programed to be.!

Leafy greens are only the most suspect because far, far more people eat raw, leafy greens than they eat raw meat. Simply put, outside the raw-meat-eating community, raw animal food is only very rarely eaten by most people(even the sushi, I've heard, is usually preheated), so that it's difficult to claim that leafy greens are the worst for foodborne illness.On another point, I've never heard of food-poisoning outbreaks among raw vegans who just eat raw fruit and raw veg.
" Ron Paul.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 07:47:05 pm »
Leafy greens are only the most suspect because far, far more people eat raw, leafy greens than they eat raw meat.

That is true. Also my lurking at raw vegan sites, I never came across a food poisoning thread.

From my observation, I always hear people getting food poison from already cooked foods. Their claim was always that the meat was under cooked. I don't have any scientific evidence, just my experience to base off of. I strongly believe why people get "food poison" from cooked food is really because the fat went rancid. whether its the cooking oil being recycled,thawing & refreezing unused meats or poor handling.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 07:39:42 am »
Is sashimi preheated? I doubt it, because salmon is easy to tell when it's been heated at all. It quickly becomes lightened in color to a whitish-pink (try it yourself some time if you don't believe me). The salmon sashimi I had yesterday was not lightened at all.

Some sashimi may be soaked in vinegar, soy, lemon, spices, etc., but I doubt it's heated, and vinegar and lemon are not supposed to be able to kill all bacteria or make food safe, according to most reports (though some disagree), and if they do then all one would have to do is use some lemon and still be able to eat raw fish without fear of poisoning. I've never heard of a report of sashimi poisoning, though I don't doubt that it has happened, whereas I have seen numerous news reports of food poisoning  from underCOOKED meats and raw plants like spinach, berries, etc. and processed foods like peanut butter, candy, baked goods, etc.

I haven't seen any percentage analyses. The small amount of data for raw fish/meat poisoning could explain why there are so few reports of food poisoning, but on the other hand, without much data what are they basing their claims of danger on? Guesses? The guesses may be right, but then again maybe not. Based on our experiences here I suspect that the risk of food poisoning from raw meats is overblown and the result mainly of fear and hysteria. That doesn't mean there's no risk, just that it's been exaggerated. I think DeadRamones is probably right about underCOOKED meat being the issue, rather than raw meat.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:48:54 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 07:58:50 am »
I believe sushi fish is deeply frozen to prevent bacteria. You can check the USDA website. They have a section of how diffrent meat are treated.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:12 am »
Yes, my understanding is that sushi and sashimi fish are frozen to kill potential pathogenic organisms as well as keep the fish fresh.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:43 am »
I saw in a TV program that high priced sashimi is frozen at specific temperatures and aged at specific number of days. 
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 01:39:27 pm »
    Any idea which TV program?  Amount of days?  Exact temperature?  Did it sound very believable?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Quinroxanne

• Forager
  • A blogger Mom, Proud Pinay
    • View Profile
    • Colon News
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 07:51:48 pm »
 ;D I saw it on animal planet..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk