Author Topic: Suet question  (Read 4057 times)

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Suet question
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:01:45 am »
I just started to include suet in my meals.  It appears that suet has a lot of connective tissue besides fat.  
The question is how easy for humans to digest connective tissue?  What is it made of? Proteins?

I would think softer belly fat would be easier to digest but Slankers are all out of beef fat and lamb fat.  Any one knows of other sources?

Thanks.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Suet question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:47:18 pm »
    Living in the US, you'll only be able to find frozen IF you're lucky.  Another few months you can find fresh fat everywhere.  Maybe a Canadian company has it.  I find no problem with connective tissue anyway, it digests, as long as it's raw.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 06:27:17 pm »
Try raw marrow(from the lower leg, preferably).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:51:31 pm »
Thanks for replies.

Bone marrow would be nice.  The problem is I would have to buy mountain of bones to extract meaningful volume of marrow.  And it is pretty expensive compared to suet.  I guess I'll stick with suet.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 05:44:49 pm »
Thanks for replies.

Bone marrow would be nice.  The problem is I would have to buy mountain of bones to extract meaningful volume of marrow.  And it is pretty expensive compared to suet.  I guess I'll stick with suet.

That's odd. Here in the UK, marrow is half as expensive as suet per kilo(admittedly, this weight includes the bone as we ll as the marrow). I've had marrow-bones come in various sizes, as long as I specifically ask for the bones with the largest amount of marrow in them, they usually comply. It's merely that sometimes farmers assume the marrow-bones are for dogs who won't care whether the bones are full of marrow.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:06:21 am »
^ Do you buy lots of bones and than break them with a hammer to get that?

I imagine you would spend a lot of time this way.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 04:22:14 am »
No, I just use dull knife and poke through it.  I would think smashing bones with hammer is pretty messy and noisy.

As far as the cost, out of $3 worth of bones I managed to extract about 1/3 lb of marrow.  That would be $9/lb.
Compare that with suet at $2.5/lb.
At that price it is pretty expensive to have marrow as a staple.  Maybe as a supplement once in while.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 05:45:10 am »
    I find marrow very edible, especially the softer marrows.  I like smooth fats.  It's hard for me to get much suet down.  I know people say drink more water, but there's just so much water I can handle.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk