Author Topic: Washing Clothes  (Read 5921 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Washing Clothes
« on: December 27, 2009, 05:47:31 am »
    Do you wash your clothes?  Do you use detergent?  What do you use?  What do you think of the steam washing machines?  Do you use a washboard?  Give me your ideas, paleo and not so paleo.  Thanks!

PS Only for clothes wearers.  I know no one here has said they don't wear, but I realize it might not be paleo.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Washing Clothes
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:26:39 am »
First of all, I do not wash my clothes personally.
We have maids who do that for us.

We use organic laundry soap we buy from a trusted lady who is also into organic living.
Clothes are hand washed / machine washed.
Clothes are hung and dried on clothes lines under the sun.
Then they are ironed.
Then folded, then stored in the closet.
All done by the maids.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 06:30:36 am »
Clothes are hung and dried on clothes lines under the sun.

I always used to dry mine in the sun, hung, inside out.  They lasted for years and years.  Thank you for your reply.  I wish I knew a lady nearby who made organic detergent.  When I lived in the tropics there were some plants they said they used to use as soap.

For a while I washed my clothes by hand in the rushing river, during non rainy season.  It felt very good and paleo.

I like washing machines.  I always have liked them, my one real lasting vice.

All done by the maids.

I would love for someone to wash for me, right.  I may do that soon.

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 06:40:13 pm »
    Do you wash your clothes?  Do you use detergent?  What do you use?  What do you think of the steam washing machines?  Do you use a washboard?  Give me your ideas, paleo and not so paleo.  Thanks!

PS Only for clothes wearers.  I know no one here has said they don't wear, but I realize it might not be paleo.
  I wouldn't be at all surprised if we have a few Naturists as members. I mean, clothes are probably not palaeo(that is, it's possible that they all routinely wore bear-skins/furs etc. as portrayed in the movies, but unlikely, IMO).

I just use standard washing-powder plus a special extra  powder to get rid of unpleasant stains.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:44:01 pm »

Ah, the joys of living in the 3rd world! My parents would often tell me of the 6(!) servants they routinely had in Nepal and similiar countries, during my very early childhood, catering to their every whim. Sadly, when we got back to Europe, they found that maids, ayahs/nannies, gardeners etc. did not come so cheap over there, and were solely the preserve of the very rich.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 09:57:04 pm »
I usually use eco washing powder. It's less harsh for the environment and skin. Recently I changed washing powder though, because somebody gave me some of theirs and I got a terrible outbreak of eczema all over my face. Anyway, while looking around on the orkos site I found soap nuts: http://store.orkos.com/eng/body-care/soap-nut.html . These are 100% natural so i figured they would be perfect for somebody prone to eczema so I ordered them and will try 'em out in the next couple of days.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 09:59:37 pm »
I use 30 degrees, just water, max spin at the end.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:11:14 pm »
    For about five years I used those clay disks.  I've tried soapnuts now.  I've used almost invariable cold water to wash clothes for over twenty years now.  As a young child clothing very easily affected my skin.  My mom kept the clothes clean with hot water and "natural" detergents from the supermarket.  It's a wonder I never checked out nudism.  I'm thinking about it now.  I'm kind of tired of wearing, picking out, making or washing clothes.  PD hint for RPs: after washing clothes clean out any excess dirt or detergent with fermented coconut cream.  The clothes come out cleaner.

I take it back, non clothes wearers are welcome.  What do you wash sheets, blankets, towels and rugs with?  Again, I realize these things may be unpaleo to some.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 10:14:39 pm »
I use 30 degrees, just water, max spin at the end.

Yeah if it wasn't for my gf (we wash our clothes at the same time) I would do the same as you. But unfortunately she insists on using something otherwise she thinks the clothes will remain dirty.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 12:30:58 am »
In the future, when my parants will move out I'll use soap nuts from Pakistan
Something like that - http://www.sapindusmukorossi.com/
They are very good.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 01:17:55 am »
In the future, when my parants will move out I'll use soap nuts from Pakistan
Something like that - http://www.sapindusmukorossi.com/
They are very good.

I do exactly that. Put a few in the small bag which is sold with the nuts and then in the washing machine with the clothes.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 01:53:05 am »
I've got this -
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 09:20:29 am »
I used to like to wash in hot water thinking it was more sanitary but my mom told me cold or lukewarm is better to preserve the colors.

Also,in China,they don't use dryers(save on electricity).They all hang their clothes on racks on their balconies and hope it's sunny out.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 02:36:53 pm »
When I grew up the kids in my family including my self had to constantly endure rashes and irritated skin due to detergent residues in the clothes. I remember breaking out in hives on numerous occasions, and now I am very picky about laundry soap. When I do have to use a cheaper brand of soap I will often use half the recommended amount or if its particularly fragrent and irritating I will do a second rinse cycle to remove the residue.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk