Author Topic: Raw Omni + Tooth Healing  (Read 47929 times)

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Raw Omni + Tooth Healing
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:30:29 pm »
Hey all,

I've been trying to heal my teeth (a la Weston Price proposition) on a raw diet over the last couple of years, although it's proved quite unsuccessful thus far (actually losing more enamel).

I realise that it's problematic for me to be raw zero-carb (which has been effective for others hoping to increase bone density and repair teeth), so I'm generally trying to include minimal carbs to keep me out of ketosis.

However, most of the raw carb choices are fruit and honey (overly-sweet and acidic), plus nuts seem to promote tooth decay (I've eliminated all nuts for the foreseeable future).

Has anyone noticed tooth healing with raw omni (with maybe 100g raw animal fats per day) and the inclusion of Green Pasture raw fermented cod liver oil, Green Pasture butter oil and maybe some supplementary D3 and 6-12 (very orange) egg yolks per week?

I realise that raw butter is not paleo and that some strains of raw grass-fed butter are more suitable than others (that is, from A2 milk instead of A1 milk), but it's meant to be high in K2, which is very beneficial for tooth healing and bone building.

I realise that zero-carbers don't need raw butter to strengthen bones/teeth, but currently my low carb trials do not seem to be having the "stop the rot" effect that I need to save my teeth (functionally and aesthetically).

Is it possible that I'm just being impatient and that my nutritional status will gradually improve after 6-12 months, or should I change my protocol to just having fruit every couple of days? Personally, I reckon that eliminating the nuts will help, although I do reckon that fruit has a negative impact on my teeth, even in small quantities.

Does anyone alternate daily between honey and fruit, or anything else carby? I do secure possibly the finest honeycomb in my locality, which I could eat regularly in small amounts, but I like the idea of enjoying some vitamin C intake too. I've also been enjoying bee pollen from the same source, which I really enjoy.

I know that you (my good contemporaries) will have some useful guidelines for me, so here I am putting my enquiry into the ether...

Best,

Scotty
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Omni + Tooth Healing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:58:55 pm »
maybe eat raw fruits/veggies/roots/squash that are high in vitamin C and low in sugar? berries, lettuces, cabbages(high in k and c), raw potatoes(high in C and minerals, they grow in the dirt!) rose hips?
what about fermented food if you have a problem with overly active detrimental bacteria in your mouth?
perhaps raw yogurt? sauerkraut?

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:03:14 pm »
I guess this question goes here..

Even when i was zero carb, my teeth felt great, but i get this kind of build up on my front bottom teeth at the back of them, like some kind of plarquey stuff that sticks to my teeth and kind of semi-hardens.. I can take my nail and kinda pick it off and it comes off kind of like a sheet of whiteish... minerally stuff...  any idea what this is?
That's not paleo.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:01:13 am »
For teeth, I recommend bone meal.  I haven't made my own raw bone meal yet, but I think I might soon.  Meanwhile I use the store-bought brand. I also recommend getting a toothpaste with essential oils like tea tree oil and brushing with that, plus swishing the toothpaste for several minutes after you are done brushing.  I also recommend healing clays like pascalite, and particularly I recommend swishing some healing clay or bone meal in your mouth RIGHT AFTER eating carbs.  this helps a lot. 

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:24:03 am »
@Jessica: Int'resting ideas...I've been thinking about juicing organic lettuces with cucumber and celery, or some occasional cabbage, but I'm not sure how natural some of these items are regarding our true heritage (for instance, the original wild lettuce was a narcotic, which was bred otherwise for nutrition), plus cabbages are goitrogenic (depleting iodine uptake in the thyroid gland). Naturally, rotating the various items would be prudent (just as rotation of herbs).

Incidentally, on occasion, I've been steeping some mineralising herbs like nettle, dandelion, horsetail and others at warm temperatures, but you never know what your oxalate intake and other anti-nutrients becomes.

Potatoes?! Aren't these like one of the worst offenders on blood glucose given their mainly starchy/polysaccharide make up? In my opinion, starch is one of the tragedies of human history, even though it's a dense energy source. Aside from the great minerals, why would anyone recommend this high-glycotic-rate food? My mum used to like raw potatoes when she was peeling and chopping them for deep-fried chips (she knows better now!), but they were never to my taste...I'd be interested to know if you can educate me some more about the humble "spud" (as we call them), but I hold it partially responsible for the recent premature death of my diabetic, insulin-resistant grandmother (who I tried to educate aside from the men in white coats).

Squashes are also starchy, although I can enjoy courgettes/zucchini when I buy them.

Humans have tried to be clever over the millennia in breeding these sugars/starches into fruit/veg with a lower mineral content coresponding to less vital soils - it's not easy finding properly-ripened, low-sugar/acid stuff!

Maybe the hard deposits from the saliva are minerals that aren't bio-available or something...I think I noticed this same effect when I was buffering my acidic ferments/juices with ground rocks (I was using this cheap stuff called CalMag). Just a thought...(in other words, I was drinking high TDS fermented beverages!)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:31:14 am »
Well, my teeth  deteriorated very rapidly while doing ZC. Previously,  my teeth healed very quickly, as reported by most raw omnivores like me  on this diet, once I cut out all the raw dairy, till my teeth became very strong. The only raw omnivores, other than you, who still report serious dental issues, are those who consume raw dairy products like raw butter etc.. Dairy has been routinely linked to osteoporosis and poor bones/teeth(re very poor calcium/magnesium ratio) so that's unsurprising.

I suspect there must be some other reason, other than RZC and R Omni for your health-issues since you claim to have issues with both raw zero-carb as well as raw omnivorous .
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:29:56 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 12:56:20 am »
Bone meal is a great suggestion, although I've found it impracticable to manufacture the fresh stuff myself. I've sat for a few hours trying to file small batches down, but I'm sure that it could easily become a full-time job without automation!

None of the local/regional butchers or farms that I know can provide bone meal (they have leftover bones collected by some contractor - I may ask for the contact details of the contractor and see if they can grind some for me!), so I suppose that the only alternative is bone broth, which is of course, boiled bones/collagen. I've boiled a few bones in the past, but I wonder what toxins are dissolved considering that the broth simmers for 24-48 hours.

I've previously looked for "store-bought" bone meal, but to be honest, I don't really know what you mean. If I Google "bone meal ...", the searches usually present the typical fertiliser offerings, rather than for human consumption - is that the stuff you're buying, or are there higher grades? Also, what about the mineral ratios in the bone meal - would it vary between grass-fed and grain-fed etc.?

Does anyone know of alternatives for making bone meal from fresh bones, such as smashing and then hand-stone-grinding? I reckon it would be great to have a couple of tablespoons worth of these bio-available minerals each day.

Is it worth me just having bone broths in the meantime to bring some more strength to the teeth (as a head start)?

I've experimented with tooth brushing formulas and the best stuff seems to be the Ayurvedic herb/bark powders with some added peppermint oil or neem oil - I've not tried tea tree oil though.

I've recently been consuming some french green clay, although I'm not sure how available the minerals are. I know that the clay is naturally-dried and high quality, but I can't seem to find any commentary on the bio-availability of the minerals. What do you reckon?

Normally, I do the oil swishing thing for better hygiene, plus I also swish with different things after carbs/acid to neutralise the mouth pH, although I have to be careful with clay given my amalgam fillings (I've tasted metals in my mouth before when clay swishing, given its metal-binding quality!).

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 01:15:03 am »
Well, Tyler, it's odd because my bite seems stronger and my teeth feel firmer in my jaw, but whenever I have anything that can cross the dentine pores/tubules and hit the nerve, I recognise that my teeth are still "weak". Also, the areas where the enamel has disappeared, revealing easily-stained dentine (brown areas on the tooth) seem to be growing.

I have some avenues to explore anyway...

I used to have a handful of long-soaked nuts every day, which may have tipped my mineral balance somehow - I've eliminated nuts completely now, except for the very odd occasion, when I may have one or two.

I'm wondering if the heavy metals in my mouth are causing some kind of dysbiosis, giving rise to unbalanced saliva pH.

Bile insufficiency (clogged bile ducts from liver/gallbladder, as well as stone-clogged gallbladder) causing nutrient uptake insufficiency(especially fat-soluble vitamins) could be the primary explanation.

It's possible that my enamel was universally compromised by years of a daily grapefruit and lemon slices in tea.

I just don't know, but I'm determined to discover what separates me from those healing their teeth with apparent ease. I know that there are some on this forum that mentioned only tooth healing when they included bone meal or clay, which is similar to the recommendations from the Weston Price Foundation regarding a steady mineral supply. I'm sure that the minerals must vary in grass-fed meat...

So Tyler, what are your raw carb staples please? Are we talking an apple and an orange, or anything more exotic?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 01:20:36 am »

Even when i was zero carb, my teeth felt great, but i get this kind of build up on my front bottom teeth at the back of them, like some kind of plarquey stuff that sticks to my teeth and kind of semi-hardens.. I can take my nail and kinda pick it off and it comes off kind of like a sheet of whiteish... minerally stuff...  any idea what this is?
It's called calculus. I get it and I know at least Lex has mentioned it in the past.
The odd part in my eyes is that I've been getting it for at least the last year, well beyond the time frame in which I'm been eating raw carnivorously. Prior to eating this way I was eating 95-100% of my calories from cooked chicken thighs for at least a year.
I think the calculus has to have some basis in higher protein intake. I'm not sure how though. -\
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:23:48 am »
Mr. BBQ; do a search on the forum for bone meal preparation. Van has mentioned at least twice that he files down rib bones with a ferrier's rasp to prepare his bone meal.
I can't comment on the efficiency of the method as I have not acquired a rasp yet but do plan to attempt this in the near future.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 01:27:11 am »
Also, Tyler, I remember you saying somewhere that you didn't really eat that much fat along with your meat these days - just what comes along with the meat. Is that the case - that you're not adding suet, brisket, marrow or some other fat to each cut?

Really, looking at the raw paleo diet and its very varying efficacies, it seems like as much as a gamble as other approaches - namely one thing doesn't apply to everyone.

So, I suppose I'd be wondering who supplements their raw omni diet (or raw zero carb) with some kind of abundant minerals for any reasons...teeth compromisation, cramping or otherwise (and if so, why?)!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 05:36:57 am »
Scotty, you may want to check out my dental health thread: http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/health/considering-dental-health-options-vitamins-a-d3-k2/

Even when i was zero carb, my teeth felt great, but i get this kind of build up on my front bottom teeth at the back of them, like some kind of plarquey stuff that sticks to my teeth and kind of semi-hardens.. I can take my nail and kinda pick it off and it comes off kind of like a sheet of whiteish... minerally stuff...  any idea what this is?
Neone, you may have had the calculus (aka tartar) before going raw Paleo. I had it for many years before going raw Paleo. It became more crumbly after I'd been doing RPD for several weeks, so that I could sometimes pick it off my teeth with my fingernail for the first time in my life (it had been too hard to do that before). One time a shard even fell off on its own after brushing my teeth. I think this is actually a good sign for my dental health.

Cutting down to just meats, animal fats and water had the greatest benefits from my dental health (with some tightening of loose teeth and some filling in of holes and pitting). However, I was still getting tartar, so I switched to raw cod liver oil for a possibly better source of vitamins A and D3 than conventional CLO, and I added a Dr. Ron's foodlement that includes K2. I haven't noticed much additional improvement since these latest changes, but it's early yet. I also tried Dr. Ron's bone meal, but I think it may have been worsening my constipation.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 05:40:27 am »
Also, Tyler, I remember you saying somewhere that you didn't really eat that much fat along with your meat these days - just what comes along with the meat. Is that the case - that you're not adding suet, brisket, marrow or some other fat to each cut?

Re raw carbs mention in other post:- I eat a wide variety when I have it, depends on season/location(wild blackberries, organic blueberries/strawberries/rapsberries, medlars, oranges, bananas, pineapples, nectarines, watermelons. Less often I eat raw seaweed from the raw mussel-shells I get, very occasionally some raw radishes or raw samphire or raw carrots.

Re raw fat:- I used to always add raw fat like raw marrow to lean meats such as turkey but don't bother any more. I can eat raw marrow alone 1 day, then just eat raw turkey breast-fillets another day etc. I don't think that the raw fat issue is relevant, though, to teeth/bone-health. The health of my own teeth was primarily dependent to cutting out all raw dairy from my diet, and to a lesser extent to eating some raw meat in the diet - the raw carbs don't  affect my teeth as long as I eat some raw meats as well.

Really, looking at the raw paleo diet and its very varying efficacies, it seems like as much as a gamble as other approaches - namely one thing doesn't apply to everyone.

Given that so many come to this diet with really serious health-issues, some of them incurable on any diet, such as genetic diseases, that's not surprising.

So, I suppose I'd be wondering who supplements their raw omni diet (or raw zero carb) with some kind of abundant minerals for any reasons...teeth compromisation, cramping or otherwise (and if so, why?)!
[/quote] Some feel the need. After having had truly abysmal experiences with processed mineral supplements etc. ,pre-rawpalaeodiet, I view those mineral supplements with severe scepticism, though
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 06:24:32 am »

I've previously looked for "store-bought" bone meal, but to be honest, I don't really know what you mean. If I Google "bone meal ...", the searches usually present the typical fertiliser offerings, rather than for human consumption - is that the stuff you're buying, or are there higher grades? Also, what about the mineral ratios in the bone meal - would it vary between grass-fed and grain-fed etc.?

I don't know if the mineral ratios vary between grass-fed and grain-fed.  I just order it online.  There's Now brand and KAL brand, plus there are others.  Those are both sold for human consumption.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 07:29:39 am »
Thanks Paleophil, but im pretty sure mine is accumulating on my teeth.. like I will get a kind of build-up on my two front bottom teeth at the back that kind of sets into the small gap between them and along the base.. ill take my fingernail and pretty easily pick it off, its kind of crumbly.  After a month or so i will have another build-up starting.

My wife's inference is that its coming out of my throat from crappy diet in the past since i noticed it even when i was eating nothing but meat and fat.
That's not paleo.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 09:40:10 am »
i suggested potatoes because they grow in the dirt and are known to absorb many of the minerals from the soil....i think if you can find a more heritage variety you can avoid the imbreeding of henious amounts of starch , i grow beautiful purple peruvian's, they are the color of blueberries all the way through, exceptionally juicy, not sweet or starchy, i can tell they are nutrient/mineral rich
i think celery would be excellent to chew(i would avoid juicing, unless you are willing to chew your juice to activate your saliva/enzymes, which kind of defeats the purpose?)
you just have to know your source of these, because honestly one can grow potatoes in a base of newspaper and water, but there will be minimal minerals in the resulting potatoes, but if they are coming from a healthy mineral rich soil source, the resulting produce will be mineral rich as well

i think that seaweed was also a good suggestion, i have also known people to take calcium from coral source which may be very similar to bone meal....maybe eat fish that are small enough you can eat the bones...
i think if you are having a problem with tartar, and that if you possible think it is coming from your throat, fermenting meat, milk or cabbages would be an excellent way to repopulate with helpful bacteria and also clear some mucus...i think the worry about cabbages is overblown unless you already have thyroid failure/goiters...you can make sauerkraut with kelp which contains iodine would negate the iodine uptake problem

wild lettuce still exists, i harvested quite a bit this summer and have a good deal growing in my back  yard, it is like an overgrown/tall dandelion, and has the same milky bitter sap, which is where the narcotic(opiate) effect as well as the medicinal(liver tonic) effect comes from

mostly i think one needs to eat what resonates with themselves and their bodies, but not adhere to something so strictly that they dont experiment or honor intuition

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 09:52:04 am »
Thanks Paleophil, but im pretty sure mine is accumulating on my teeth.. like I will get a kind of build-up on my two front bottom teeth at the back that kind of sets into the small gap between them and along the base.. ill take my fingernail and pretty easily pick it off, its kind of crumbly.  After a month or so i will have another build-up starting.

My wife's inference is that its coming out of my throat from crappy diet in the past since i noticed it even when i was eating nothing but meat and fat.
Yup, that's what I mean. I get that too, regardless of what I eat. I've had it for decades, except now it comes off easier. My hygienist said it's because there are two saliva glands under the tongue behind the bottom teeth and I must have excess calcium or phosphorous in my saliva that combines with food particles and dead plaque bacterial cells to form tartar. I asked her if magnesium would help and she said no. No matter how much I brush and floss I get it. Lex said his went away some point after adopting his raw meat/fat/organs/water diet. Mine is still with me so far. That's why I started that dental thread. Vitamins A, D3 and K2 are supposed to help, according to some people.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 10:20:12 pm »
Thanks for all of the pointers, which I really appreciate.

@Jessica: You seem pretty wildcraft-savvy, which is refreshing. Do you know the name of the peruvian breed because there're quite a few that're purple available, although none of them are called "Peruvian Purple" as such (that is, on the regional websites offering seed potatoes). I like the idea of the purple spuds though, if they're starch-free and low-glycotic-rate. I like your kelpy-sauerkraut too, but there's the caveat that sauerkraut is full of organic acids, which are destructive of tooth enamel (counter-productive, even though sauerkraut is great in many ways, especially in that there're some K2 quinones in there).

@Tyler: Just out of interest, how come you're eating bananas and pineapples, knowing how screwed up their gene pools are(?) - nothing like the original ones...I don't consider these almost morbidly-hybridised species to represent paleo nourishment, so I'm naturally interested in your mindset. For me, a single banana elevates (and crashes) my blood sugar all too easily...

I've not been able to procure myself an appropriate file for bone meal yet (nor the time to sit and produce it), but I've just decided to do some interim experimentation with bone broths (for the short term) and will gauge the effect on my teeth in the next couple of weeks, just to see if the high mineral level will make a difference. I realise that bone broths are less-than-optimal as a long-simmered item, but I'm getting a little desperate with my teeth and I need to find a balance somewhere...(nowhere to run, nowhere to hide!)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 02:42:24 am »
look on the net under ferrier supplies.  You want a file that has the small many lined up grooves on a diagonal.  the file is over a foot long, get a good handle.  Keep it and the bone in the freezer between filings.  It takes me maybe 2-3 minutes for filing.  I only eat freshly filed.  It's easy.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 06:36:19 am »
Van thanks for the tip. I'll file that for further use.

Regarding the teeth, in Ayurveda when you eat a lot of food that aggrivates Pitta (don't worry about what that means for now) the heat or Pitta builds up in the seat of Pitta. (the stomach) When it gets too much for that area it starts to spread.
Since Pitta is essentially heat it naturally flows uphill. Since your mouth is uphill from your stomach the Pitta migrates to your mouth. A goiter is another symptom. This excess heat eats away at the mucous membrane in the mouth and the gums and brings on a variety of symptoms of which rotting teeth is one, cankers is another (my isssue) A friend of mine's ex was so in love with sour food and drink that her Pitta was out of whack for years, resulting in dental pain so intense that she tried the anaesthetic toothpaste (Sensodyne) which is a very bad idea no matter what your dentist tells you.
Then at her wits end with pain, she had all her teeth removed.... ouch! I tried to tell her the sour food and drink was the problem, but her sour and foul temper kept her from changing her habits. She ended up having a nervous breakdown and incredible fits of anger problems which sunk her marriage, but that's another story.

Essentially the sour (Pitta) eats away at the teeth causing holes which get infected and the gums  recede and expose the root of the teeth causing huge pain. When you run your fingernail down your tooth to the gum you will notice a depression at the juncture. If this depression is pronounced then you have or will have dental pain when the root is exposed to air or cold or hot. If you go to a dentist with this issue, initially they will simply paint something that my dentist called lacquer or varnish (I forget which) but it literally just coats the area. Nothing more. It is a stopgap because if you continue eating sour, salty foods that aggrivate Pitta, the gums teeth will continue to deteriorate and next step is classified as periodontal disease (I believe) This is very expensive and painful etc.

Solution -

ditch the fruit, anything sour , sugar (anything but honey) salty flavours, hot or spicy or pungent foods such as pepper or chilis, onion, garlic and so forth. If you have honey absolutely get raw unheated honey and have it with an equal amount of raw unheated butter.
Basically avoid - sour, salty and pungent foods period, no matter how much your nutritional theories suggest them. Reduce water intake also.

Favour sweet tasting foods like chicken, beef and foods that taste sweet without processed sugar. Favour sweet, bitter and astringent foods.

The lists are long and so to get a better idea go to http://www.ayurveda.com/online_resource/index.html and click on Food Guidelines under Food and nutrition guidelines. Then look under Pitta  and follow the columns of favour and reduce. These lists cover all the basis no matter what diet you are following. Dr Lad is a vegetarian but he is also a Doctor of Ayurveda which is not traditionally a vege system so he lists everything. You pick what you want.

Aajonus also suggests eating fats whether it be from butter, avocado etc when you eat fruit, but if you have serious issues, just give up the fruit. You will see a gradual increase in dental comfort or issues will subside depending on how bad they are. Your body type sounds like you have a Pitta imbalance.

Honestly I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would try to live on fruit. But that's just me. For some body types more fruit can be tolerated, but not a Pitta. I get cankers (open mouth sores) from just about thinking about eating fruit : )
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 10:08:41 am »
I got a nasty cancer sore just from eating a handful of pineapple chunks recently.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 04:13:19 pm »
Solution -

ditch the fruit, anything sour , sugar (anything but honey) salty flavours, hot or spicy or pungent foods such as pepper or chilis, onion, garlic and so forth. If you have honey absolutely get raw unheated honey and have it with an equal amount of raw unheated butter.
Basically avoid - sour, salty and pungent foods period, no matter how much your nutritional theories suggest them. Reduce water intake also.

Favour sweet tasting foods like chicken, beef and foods that taste sweet without processed sugar. Favour sweet, bitter and astringent foods.

Is Kefir good for a Pitta? I don't see it listed here: http://www.ayurveda.com/online_resource/food_guidelines.pdf

Also, how do you find out which type you are?

I read the description about Pitta type here: http://www.holisticonline.com/ayurveda/ayv-pitta-characteristics.htm and could identify with some of the characteristics.

... but than, I also read the one about Vata here: http://www.holisticonline.com/ayurveda/ayv-vata-characterisitics.htm and found some matching characteristics there too.

Things may not be black and white here.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 06:40:51 pm »
I have been binging on honey as of late and I just noticed this morning that my teeth look slightly transparent from acid erosion.

This fucking frightened me. I'm never touching honey again
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 06:45:38 pm »
and I just read this

Honey also has the highest sugar content of all the natural sweeteners, and even has more sugar content than refined sugar; in fact, it can rot teeth faster than table sugar, possibly because of its stickiness and the fact that its vitamin and mineral content, however small, may provide a favorable environment for bacteria.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 09:44:35 pm »
Ayurveda says this about honey. Honey is a powerful sweetener that will aggrivate Pitta. It and molasses are the sweeteners that Pitta should not eat a lot of because they are also considered to be pungent. However I have discovered that if you eat it with an equal amount of raw butter and if the honey is raw unheated like Aajonus says, this effect is not noticeable.

If you binge on anything you will get sick. Period.

Pineapple is very pitta aggravating but is good for woman's sexual health. I love the stuff but cannot eat it.

My take on Kefir is that the milk has been partially digested by the microbes, but if a person has a lot of Pitta characteristics (temper, red or thinning hair, fair or light skin or freckles, medium build, medium memory, etc) then their stomach is fairly robust and can digest more than other people so the digestive help is overkill and it's like adding fire to fire. Essentially you can take kefir, but in moderation. Again nobody should binge on anything. You will know if you are eating too much as you will senses a sour taste in your mouth later on. Kefir is probably listed as yogourt on his list as yogurt is more common in India. Basically if you want to eat the kefir, eat a small amount that is fresh and not gone sour. Make it by putting raw unheated honey in milk and letting it turn to kefir naturally.

Your body type is a mix of a variety and everyone is unique. What you do is to read the questionaire and answer each question individually. Then you tally up the number of Pitta , Kapha and Vata characteristics and see which one is dominant. This is your dominant dosha and so you should follow a diet that follows that dominant one. ie if you are say 50% Kapha then you should follow the Kapha diet list. If the next dominant one on the list is a close second then you should modify your list by combining the list from that one. So if it says Pitta first then Vata next you should combine the list to be a Pitta / Vata list. It may seem complicated but you will notice over time that certain parts of the list will be screamingly obvious because when you eat them you will get a reaction. Without seeing this list we all eventually figure these things out but this just simplifies it.

Naturally seeing an Ayuvedic practitioner (no I am not drumming up business) will make the whole process easier, faster and less confusing, but you can figure it out yourself. The daily routine list on that site and the food combining chart is also a good idea to read.

The system does not tell you what to eat, it merely says if you eat this or that or combine this or that or if you eat something in the morning or afternoon, this will be the result and if you want to reduce a certain problem then favour these types of foods.
The modern reductionist food system is bull feathers in my extremely humble opinion. Discussing proteins and carbohydrates, vitamins and cholesterol is confusing and it leads to nowhere because every day a scientist comes out with a new version of "the proper diet" and what everyone "should" eat. I am always suspicious of the "latest scientific breakthrough" in nutrition. I always know that someone with a financial intent (selling something) is behind it.

Ayurveda says to eat what is appropriate to your body type if you want to be comfortable and live a long hearty life. ie if something hurts then don't do it, your body has an inherent intelligence.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk