Author Topic: Paleo is getting mainstream attention  (Read 7895 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Paleo is getting mainstream attention
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:08:32 am »
Well it's happened. Both the Washington Post and New York Times have reported on Paleo diets in short order (does the Times spy on the Post, or did the Post story convince them to do their own investigating and get a story out tout suite, or is it just an amazing coincidence?). The Paleo diet is making the radar, becoming known to the media elites and the masses. Let's just hope this doesn't lead to price escalation in grassfed beef. Below is a link to the Times article, which is much better than the Post article, though it unfortunately pokes a little fun at raw Paleo (but it's amazing that it even mentioned it):

The New Age Cavemen and the City
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/fashion/10caveman.html?pagewanted=1

"Several identify themselves as libertarians." [Did I call it or what? :) Granted, the fact that prominent early adopters like Art DeVany, Nassim Taleb and Kurt Harris are libertarian-oriented probably skews the early numbers somewhat.]

An Upper East Side physician, Grant Macaulay, said he has recommended the diet to hundreds of his patients, and sends them to Barnes & Noble to buy a copy of Mr. Cordain’s “Paleo Diet.”

With this view of humanity’s past, what does Mr. Durant see in his future? One idea is a restaurant called B.C. or Wild. Just in case he develops the right business model, Mr. Durant has bought the domain name hunter-gatherer.com.

[One of the dieters mentioned is a raw Paleo dieter, so I think this qualifies for the General Discussion category. If not, moderators can feel free to move it to Hot Topics.]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:53:45 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
Re: Paleo is getting mainstream attention
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:56:35 pm »
i belief that lots of people are having paleo diet even not knowing what's it. my father tells me about someone like that (butcher) who  accidentally eats raw bone marrows infront of my father. when my father asked him what he's doing, he says that, raw marrows and meat makes him feel good. it happens couple of decades ago in my country.

my worst nightmare is also the spike of pricing of grass fed animals. if you think that this paleolithic diet will gain popularity soon, than we should move to a place where the land is still cheap and secluded and start to raise our own animals there.
bugs or country chickens

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:42:17 pm »
Under normal circumstances, a largely cooked-palaeo article would be placed in Hot Topics, but it's so rare for rawpalaeos to be specifically mentioned in the media that this is worth placing in the general discussions forum(on 2nd thought, it's so important it belongs in the Info/news section like all media reports re rawpalaeo. It's also the first cooked-palaeodiet media article to even mention a raw, palaeolithic diet - normally, raw-meat-eaters are only mentioned in a small paragraph in articles on raw food(ie raw vegan) diets. The only exception are the 1 or 2 articles on Primal Dieters, but they aren't palaeo as such.

Incidentally, don't worry about cooked- or even rawpalaeodiets becoming more popular and driving the prices up. I suspect the opposite would be true. You see, palaeos like having access to all organs, and most farmers nowadays simply throw away things like raw grassfed suet as there is no market for them. Similiarly, a number of farmers can't afford to convert to official organic status but feed their animals on a healthy,100% grass/herbs diet - those could easily appeal to upcoming palaeos.

Thanks for the article, I love this sort of publicity(though they didn't mention a crucial fact, that cooking only covers a measly 10% of the entire Palaeolithic era, and so is hardly representative of "palaeo"). I wonder if this Vladimir character is a member of our 2 forums. We are, after all, the only 2 forums devoted to raw, palaeolithic diets on the entire web(well, English-language ones, perhaps he's a member of a Russian rawpalaeo forum?!)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:02:25 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Vlad

• Forager
    • View Profile
    • Vlad Averbukh
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:27:43 am »
Hey Tyler, I'm the guy from the article, just registered so I can respond to  you. I do visit this forum on occasion, haven't really had the urge or the time to contribute thou. I keep things simple, mostly berries and raw or gently cooked meat, been doing this for a few years now. I agreed to talk to the Times as I believe giving exposure to us is a good thing. Unfortunately the article didn't really touch on the benefits of going paleo, I'm also dissappointed they didn't mention the local grassfed farmers where I buy my stuff. Getting more people to eat grass-fed can only be a good thing. Another point I should mention is that some of the other paleos mentioned in the article do eat raw on occassion, the article would have you believe otherwise.

And if you're the same person as Geoff Purcell, I also want to thank you for your contributions towards spreading the word about raw paleo. I came accross some of your writing years ago, right after reading Cordain's books, I found it very helpful.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 02:31:36 pm »
    http://ning.it/7byvmu ... and a meetup!
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:44:47 pm »
Hi Vlad,

I'm glad you did the interview to represent raw meat eaters.  Which forums or social networks you usually hang out?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:09:05 pm »
And if you're the same person as Geoff Purcell, I also want to thank you for your contributions towards spreading the word about raw paleo. I came accross some of your writing years ago, right after reading Cordain's books, I found it very helpful.
Glad it helped.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Vlad

• Forager
    • View Profile
    • Vlad Averbukh
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 01:35:43 pm »
Hi Vlad,

I'm glad you did the interview to represent raw meat eaters.  Which forums or social networks you usually hang out?

Hey goodsamaritan,

I read all kinds of blogs and forums, usually on my phone's browser. As far as nutrition stuff, I'm a fan of guys like Robb Wolf, Kurt Harris, Mark Sisson. They're obviously not raw paleo, but got some interesting stuff here and there.

John Durant, the guy from the article, created the New York Paleo group on meetup.com not long ago. Hopefully this article will help us grow our numbers as I think having a paleo community in NYC would be awesome. Given how densely populated this city is, I'm sure we got thousands of paleo types here. Any folks from NYC area are welcome to join: http://www.meetup.com/Eating-Paleo-in-NYC

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 07:02:43 pm »
I'll add this website in the relevant groups section.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 01:37:30 am »
Hey Tyler, I'm the guy from the article, just registered so I can respond to  you. I do visit this forum on occasion, haven't really had the urge or the time to contribute thou. I keep things simple, mostly berries and raw or gently cooked meat, been doing this for a few years now. I agreed to talk to the Times as I believe giving exposure to us is a good thing. Unfortunately the article didn't really touch on the benefits of going paleo, I'm also dissappointed they didn't mention the local grassfed farmers where I buy my stuff. Getting more people to eat grass-fed can only be a good thing. Another point I should mention is that some of the other paleos mentioned in the article do eat raw on occassion, the article would have you believe otherwise.

:)
hi vlad, who 's your local grassfed farmer? i'm moving in nyc. i need your help to find grass fed animals' suppliers. if i needed, i don't mind to drive 50 miles. my toddler also eats raw paleolithic way. it's necessary for me fresh supply of meats and organs. i'm not looking for anything frozen. thanks.
bugs or country chickens

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 11:34:31 am »
Welcome, Vlad.

A blogger commented on the NYT's piece. He poked some fun at us and exaggerated the story a bit, but he wasn't harsh and did say it was "fascinating."

A stone abode for modern-day Wilmas and Freds
by Matt Hickman
http://www.mnn.com/the-home/building-renovating/blogs/a-stone-abode-for-modern-day-wilmas-and-freds
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Vlad

• Forager
    • View Profile
    • Vlad Averbukh
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 12:43:30 am »
:)
hi vlad, who 's your local grassfed farmer? i'm moving in nyc. i need your help to find grass fed animals' suppliers. if i needed, i don't mind to drive 50 miles. my toddler also eats raw paleolithic way. it's necessary for me fresh supply of meats and organs. i'm not looking for anything frozen. thanks.

There's a farmer at union square market in Manhattan, he's there Monday and Wednesday, he's usually not frozen and occasionally has some organs, look for the sign that says "New York Grass Fed Beef". There's also another guy on Wednesday who has lamb, not sure if he sells organs. There are also several farmers at that same market who sell frozen, but they may let you get it fresh if you visit their farm.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 07:27:03 am »
Yet another mainstream media article about the Paleo diet. This one's glowingly positive and got only one negative comment (the usual stuff about cavemen only living to age 35): Paleo diet takes us back to healthy caveman days (Florida Today)

Offline razmatazz

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 01:05:48 am »
that is so strange, jst this past sunday here in london i came across an article on paleo eating in the section devoted to health/fitness. I felt it was a rubbish article as it just spouted the conventional wisdom crap on how fat is bad etc
eg "“It seems a shame to reject wholemeal bread, pitta and pasta which add fibre and useful energy,” says the Times nutritionist, Amanda Ursell. Moreover, although it was men who were generally in charge of hunting (meat), women gathered (fruit and vegetables) intensively and their food was as important to the pre-agrarian diet"

However, it does say "Do not overcook food — cavemen did not have cooking pots and foods would have been charred briefly rather than cooked " which is interesting.

heres the link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/men/article6988492.ece

whats with the sudden influx of paleo articles in the mainstream media?! lol

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 07:22:37 am »

whats with the sudden influx of paleo articles in the mainstream media?! lol

Yeah, it's pretty strange. I think part of it is that some media corporations own lots of newspapers, magazines, TV stations, etc., but that doesn't explain it all. I think they must also either pay attention to what their competitors are publishing and quickly come up with something of their own (that could explain why the NYT did their article only on people living right in NYC) or they spy on each other. It must be hard to come up with new ideas of what to write the next story on, so it does make sense to me that they would copy each other.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 09:37:24 pm »
There's a farmer at union square market in Manhattan, he's there Monday and Wednesday, he's usually not frozen and occasionally has some organs, look for the sign that says "New York Grass Fed Beef". There's also another guy on Wednesday who has lamb, not sure if he sells organs. There are also several farmers at that same market who sell frozen, but they may let you get it fresh if you visit their farm.
thanks vlad. i'm looking for some other kids to play with my son. he doesn't know anything about eating outside and he never seen an ice cream in his life. can i join in a group where parents are little aware what their children eating healthy or not? my son will be three on May. thanks again.
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk