Author Topic: Why My Butcher May Like Me Better Than His Other Customers  (Read 6866 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Why My Butcher May Like Me Better Than His Other Customers
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:37:21 am »
    Does your butcher where you shop seem to give you special attention?  I bet many of you have stories or anecdotes why your butcher may like you better that he likes the others.

Here's mine:
My butcher says he's only eaten vegan foods, worn, vegan clothes, and bought vegan products for over a decade.  He seemed (and seems) to really appreciate dealing with me, more than with other customers, and now I think that's why.  I didn't have any idea why before.  I have always asked a lot of questions about how the animals were raised etc.  He says he's a butcher cause it pays a lot better than produce, otherwise that's what he would prefer.  He says he's only been butcher a few years.  Wow, I had no idea a veg would work at a butcher place cutting meat, anyway.  I was offered free butcher training as a teen myself, but I said no cause I couldn't stomach the idea nor wrap my head around it at the time (I was veg).  So, my butcher likes me better cause I ask how the animals were during their lives before I think about buying, and choose their most humanely husbanded meats.

My old butcher place I shopped at, the butcher liked that I ate raw (and told other butchers etc), but this one I shop at now has a bigger meat counter and more (non-frozen) marrow bones.  You have to choose where the goods are.

Why does your butcher like you in addition just that you are a shopper? 

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Why My Butcher May Like Me Better Than His Other Customers
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:42:36 am »
    He did try to talk me into raw veganism (I had not asked for that), upon which I offered (without his asking) that when he needs to eat meat, I can help him understand it raw and that it often greatly reduces how much someone has to eat.  He seemed happy enough with that.  He can tell I know meat.  His co-butchers are impressed with my meat talk too.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 03:43:49 am »
one of the butchers at whole foods asked me once if i have ever eaten the grass fed beef or lamb raw. i just smiled and said 'yes, i have'. haha, apparently he eats it raw pretty often too, but i haven't gotten around to telling him that's all i eat. i just prefer not to mess with a good situation. this whole foods provides the vast majority of my meat and gives me free fat. if one of his fellow butchers gets privy to my raw diet, it might get weird and uncomfortable. they already refer to me as their 'best grass fed customer'

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 04:00:18 am »
Never ever tell butchers/farmers what diet you are eating. Some won't blink an eye over the issue, while others will just feel really weirded out and pretend they don't have anything available the next time you order, out of concern for your health/fear of litigation etc.. Even asking for unusual types of organ-meats like raw lung is not really a good idea. If I'm asked I'll just reply that I'm doing a palaeolithic diet, and keep it vague. I used to try to be clever, here and there, and, when being asked how I cooked my meats, reply that I always ate it raw, but I found it's best to be discreet.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

djr_81

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 04:18:56 am »
My butchers love me.
I'm far and away their biggest grassfed customer as I buy a primal chuck cut every other week when they get it in.
I told them outright the very first time I bought there that I eat it raw. They were perfectly fine with it and even expressed interest in doing it themselves. As far as I know none of them have though.
I also spoke to the head of the meat department on the phone today to really instill the importance that the grassfed I get is true grassfed as any grains will upset my body ( a la the meat I ot 2 weeks ago). He's just as concerned that his grassfed meat is truly 100% grassfed. He was a bit pissed off that the other vendor they used would sell him lesser meat at the grassfed price but thanked me for the feedback and asked that I call and speak with him directly if I ever have problems with the meat in the future. He's also giving me a discount on this weeks order as a result. ;D

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 04:37:59 am »
Never ever tell butchers/farmers what diet you are eating. Some won't blink an eye over the issue, while others will just feel really weirded out and pretend they don't have anything available the next time you order, out of concern for your health/fear ... I found it's best to be discreet.

When it comes to meat, so far, I have better luck in person.  I have mail ordered meat, but when asking for special cuts, as you say, they have gotten weirded out.  Also, they may think nothing of freezing the meat first without letting you know.  It's harder when you don't see the meat.  It could all be because I'm a woman, not a man.  I realize appearances can get people treated differently in any situation.

Offline extralizard13

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 05:31:18 am »
one of the butchers at whole foods asked me once if i have ever eaten the grass fed beef or lamb raw. i just smiled and said 'yes, i have'. haha, apparently he eats it raw pretty often too, but i haven't gotten around to telling him that's all i eat. i just prefer not to mess with a good situation. this whole foods provides the vast majority of my meat and gives me free fat. if one of his fellow butchers gets privy to my raw diet, it might get weird and uncomfortable. they already refer to me as their 'best grass fed customer'

How is Whole Foods with prices? I live in the Balto-DC area of Maryland, so there's a lot of Whole Foods (as well as Trader Joes and Asian markets), but have assumed it'd be too expensive to pick up meats there.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:49:56 am »
my whole foods in austin, tx sells really good quality grass fed fatty brisket for 4.99 a pound and some other leaner cuts for 6.99 a pound. i get marrow bones for 2.99 a pound and i get suet and hide fat for free. this is very cheap in my opinion. however, in the whole foods i've been to outside of austin (where whole foods began) are more expensive. the ones in portland, oregon and san diego, california both had grass fed beef for 7.99 a pound minimum. and it wasn't as good quality. if i were you i'd check it out though. they might have cheap stuff.

note: i only buy meat there, everything else is way too expensive (ie. produce and seafood)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 08:48:09 am »
How is Whole Foods with prices?

WF is expensive, but so are the little health food stores that carry meat, if not more.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 09:58:49 am »
my whole foods in austin, tx sells really good quality grass fed fatty brisket for 4.99 a pound and some other leaner cuts for 6.99 a pound. i get marrow bones for 2.99 a pound and i get suet and hide fat for free. ...
is the fat grassfed?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 10:40:28 am »
yep! pretty awesome right? they just throw it away unless i ask for it

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:51 am »
yep! pretty awesome right? they just throw it away unless i ask for it
What the hell? Who does that? Where?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 10:37:01 am »
Who does that? Where?

They told me that a while back at my WF too, that if I'm there before ten in the morning, I can catch them before they throw away the fat, that they'll give it to me free.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 11:41:22 am »
ya i have to either call them in the morning and tell them to save me some or go there early when they're trimming the grass fed cuts. we have a huge meat department. austin's whole foods is the biggest in the world. i guess im lucky

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 06:34:02 am »
Yeah, you folks are lucky. We don't even have a WF or anything that size in our area. Just small, expensive health food markets and a lousy farmer's market that has almost no meat beyond chickens and cooked hamburgers and no seafood or wild meats. I don't mind paying 99 cents/lb for the fat at the local markets, though, in support of local business.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk