Author Topic: Best way to start eating raw meat  (Read 9299 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Best way to start eating raw meat
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:16:34 am »
Hi
i just met at my food co-op and bought 2lbs grass fed round steak. Unfortunately it was frozen so i have to wait a while for it to thaw. Anyway I am planning on eating some of this steak raw and was wondering if anyone has any tips for not gagging on it or possibly injoying it.
thanks
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to start eating raw meat
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:26:49 pm »
Tiny chunks.  Have some kind of (hopefully raw) sauce with it. Maybe have some good fat with it.

William

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:57:01 pm »
Hi
i just met at my food co-op and bought 2lbs grass fed round steak. Unfortunately it was frozen so i have to wait a while for it to thaw. Anyway I am planning on eating some of this steak raw and was wondering if anyone has any tips for not gagging on it or possibly injoying it.
thanks

somewhat dried.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:32:30 pm »
Steak tartar with various spices, egg yolks, onion, garlic, chives, etc.
I ate it for the first half of the year; then I switched to chunks of muscle-meats and organ-meats without any additives
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 05:40:39 pm »
Don't eat during the day, then you'll know real hunger!
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:11:23 pm »
The above suggestions are fine. An alternative is to start cooking your meats rare, and then over weeks/months gradually reduce the cooking temperature by 1 degree every so often until you're used to eating it raw at room-temperature. You can add any processed sauces but as time goes by remove the processed sauces and add raw ones instead. After a while, you may find like most long-term RPDers that you don't need the spices any more and prefer to eat it without any raw sauces.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 08:33:42 am »
Just eat it cold and unseasoned. Oh, so delicious! I get sad at a cooked steak now, particularly a cooked ribeye.  ;D

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 08:58:34 am »
The first month at least, maybe more, I did what TD suggested... I would add garlic, some salt or whatever seasonings.  I don't remember when I stopped, but I do remember that within a couple of months the sight of raw red meat was so appealing to me that it was funny to think I was 'afraid' of it not that long ago.

Another idea might be if you have a dehydrator?  30 min at the lowest setting is just enough to take the moisture out of the surface so it's a dryer texture.

I still like to eat my meat/fat at room temp.  I usually take out what I am going to eat in the morning.  I really don't like eating my meat cold, especially fat.  I get mad at myself if I'm hungry and didn't take meat out that day.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 04:51:50 pm »
  I get mad at myself if I'm hungry and didn't take meat out that day.
That's not the problem. You can place meat in some glass jar and then this jar in warm water and quite quickly you can have the meat that has over 20 degrees C. :)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 10:31:14 pm »
I also like my meat warm

Leaving the pilot light on in my oven keeps the temp at about 95 F,

I lightly salt my meat & put it in the oven for several hours until it's warmed through and dry on the surface

Yum!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 09:09:35 am »
I started with low-heated beef jerky, then started sampling some of the raw lean steak as I was cutting it up for jerky. I liked it the first time I tried it. I still have trouble with fatty raw meats, though, but not as much as I used to and I can handle raw ground meats (which are relatively fatty) with no problem. Grainfed steak is blander and easier to get used to eating raw at first.

Early on I found raw grassfed ground beef to be too gamey/musty-tasting and preferred venison and bison. Now I think I prefer the taste of the beef.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Dwight

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 04:59:17 am »
I built up an appetite before I ate.

Morning -> Glass of Water

Couldn't take it in the afternoon, I'm a growing boy so I get hungry easily.. or is it something else?

So I just ate some raw ribeye with fat. It was okay, not as bad as I expected it to be. Kinda tasted like that one time I was so hungry, I just grabbed a raw piece of meat (No idea what it was but I was little back then) and shoved it in my mouth.

And I finished it! :D

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 09:45:02 am »
Oh, raw ribeye with fat is my second choice after raw ground beef. So delicious!  :D

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 09:55:20 am »
Early on I found raw grassfed ground beef to be too gamey/musty-tasting and preferred venison and bison. Now I think I prefer the taste of the beef.

I didn't like the smell beef when I started.  I loved buffalo at first smell, gaminess and all.  I only tried venison once.  For me, it tasted too strong, like very iron-rich blood?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

William

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 11:19:08 am »
Today I ate GB dried for 3 hours at 95F. No stop!
And it tastes pleasant, not like the acid taste of fresh.

Made a thin sheet, as for jerky, and tore off chunks which I rolled around a dab of tallow.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 11:29:26 am »
So why is no stop a good thing?

I don't get it, your eating until your feel like you stomach is expanded to the point where there's no room?

This is the problem with your pemmican diet, it's tasty and overrides the natural stop you over eat and end up with a headache feel sick.

Albert Camus

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 11:30:09 am »
    I didn't like the smell beef when I started.  I loved buffalo at first smell, gaminess and all.  I only tried venison once.  For me, it tasted too strong, like very iron-rich blood?
I should have explained that the venison was pasture-fed. Wild venison would have a good chance of being more gamey than grass-fed beef, though I've had some mild wild venison too.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

William

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 11:52:13 am »
So why is no stop a good thing?

Pay attention. A stop is a signal from the immune system, meaning "stop eating that or I will make you shit yourself". Or it's also fair to say that you are eating something that is not food.

I don't get it, your eating until your feel like you stomach is expanded to the point where there's no room?

Andrew, where are you getting this stuff? Reads like TD's disease, only worse.

This is the problem with your pemmican diet, it's tasty and overrides the natural stop you over eat and end up with a headache feel sick.

Pemmican tasty?!? Sawdust & candlewax is tasty?  I want your recipe.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 06:23:36 pm »
Pay attention. A stop is a signal from the immune system, meaning "stop eating that or I will make you shit yourself". Or it's also fair to say that you are eating something that is not food.

Andrew, where are you getting this stuff? Reads like TD's disease, only worse.

Pemmican tasty?!? Sawdust & candlewax is tasty?  I want your recipe.

My pemmican is tasty just follow Lex's recipe, you can find it on the Yahoo raw paleo group under 'notes' from what I can remember. It does have the texture of saw dust and candle wax though.

Albert Camus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk