Author Topic: 'Beer gut'.  (Read 15705 times)

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
'Beer gut'.
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:31:42 am »
Hey fellas,

as a beginner in having my fat source as my main calorie source, I think I have been making a few mistakes.

One thing I have been doing, I think, is over eating on fat. This has caused me to, obviously, get fatter. But that's fine seeing as I wanted to gain weight, although not fat, but what ever.

Anywho, one thing I've noticed is that my stomach of late has got some 'bloat' issues. It's not bloating per se, because there is no air in my stomach. But what I'm starting to think is that it's all the fat that I've been over eating has accumilated in my stomach as a sort of 'preserve'.

All the research I've been reading on this says that trans fat is mostly stored in the gut for some reason, so it does make sense.

Also I've been fasting for 2 days and I haven't felt hungry at all, so there must be something that's fueling me.

Anywho, this has become a sort of a ramble, but I'm curious if any of you experienced this?
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 'Beer gut'.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:40:53 am »
Overeating on fat doesn't cause weight gain, it's calories in general. Just eat less calories. And if you overeat and don't exercise you will store fat and little muscle.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:13:51 pm »
Actually, I've managed to add some fat weight by eating more fat and meat myself--though it went mostly to my love handles. People think I look better though, because I briefly got emaciated on a supposedly "Paleo" diet that included lots of "healthy" fruits and veggies and cooked foods and also some clearly non-Paleo compromise foods like fruit juices and dried fruits (I had assumed that fruit juices and dried fruits weren't really as bad as Ray Audette warned--big mistake).

Some fats are better than others, but you may want to try intermittent fasting and/or caloric restriction if you want to lose some fat. The latter is heresy to some, but Lex, me, you and others have found that we CAN gain weight when we overeat meat and fat (though it's usually not as easy as gaining weight on refined cooked carbs).

Exercise might also give you better muscle tone, but probably wouldn't have a big effect on your body fat, based on most people's experiences that I've seen.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:41:07 pm »
Exercise might also give you better muscle tone, but probably wouldn't have a big effect on your body fat, based on most people's experiences that I've seen.

you talking about the overweight mother who goes for a walk in the morning or people who actually work out intensely? The latter will have a huge impact.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 07:20:01 pm »
Thanks guys, the weight gain is not bothering me

it's how my gut stands out which is bothering me

which is bothering me. The fact that my stomach feels bloated and sticks out. And it's not air because I haven't been burping or farting.

And seeing as I'm not constipated I came to the conclusion that it must be hard fat that has accumilated in my gut from all the overeating.

Does that make sense to you?
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:19:48 pm »
Dear God, that is the most ghastly picture I've ever seen since the beer belly championships some years ago.

Re Ray Audette:- He's just started reposting on the paleofood list.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 11:41:13 pm »

it's how my gut stands out which is bothering me

Reminds me of Hägar the Horrible.  :)

And seeing as I'm not constipated I came to the conclusion that it must be hard fat that has accumilated in my gut from all the overeating.

Does that make sense to you?

No. You just eat too often - a hard habit to break, when we have eaten by the clock all our lives. If you were to eat only when really hungry, there would be no inflated belly.

carnivore

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 12:01:23 am »
Overeating on fat doesn't cause weight gain, it's calories in general. Just eat less calories. And if you overeat and don't exercise you will store fat and little muscle.

He said that his main calorie source is fat.
I also managed to put some fat on my bellie after overeating fat (no carbs)

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 12:45:25 am »
Reminds me of Hägar the Horrible.  :)

No. You just eat too often - a hard habit to break, when we have eaten by the clock all our lives. If you were to eat only when really hungry, there would be no inflated belly.

actually I just eat twice a day, granted they are big meals and they have gone increasingly in size. I am going to tone it down and see what happens :)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 05:30:34 am »
He said that his main calorie source is fat.
I also managed to put some fat on my bellie after overeating fat (no carbs)
Invisible wasn't contesting that fat causes weight gain, just that it's excess calories in general causing the weight gain.
If you eat more calories than you expend you'll store excess as body fat. People switching to a fat-burning diet aren't efficient at use of the fat for fuel so waste a lot of it. As the body gets more efficient you begin to need less of an intake of calories. If you overeat and have a continual excess you will put on weight without a doubt. Simple math and numerous anecdotal comments confirm this. :)

I'm concerned by the description of the belly which sounds like it's distended. This runs extremely counter-intuitive to past comments I've read (and personally experienced) of a more uniform fat disposition throughout the body as opposed to concentrations in specific areas.
Do you exercise? I find 15 minutes a day of alternating anaerobic/aerobic cycling  (basically a HIT program on a bike) does me wonders. I get more energy, stay very focused, gain all the vascular benefits, and my body naturally tones & re-shapes itself. When I don't exercise I do put on a bit of bodyfat but it's pretty spread out. If I get this simple cycling in daily there's no gains of fat and what's on the body seems even less concentrated in the torso area.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 06:52:29 am »
Perhaps its not weight gain, but digestion is slower because you just started the diet so your stomach is 'full' longer. I used to have that when I first started eating low carb, then it went away. Now I get it when I eat high carb.

If you eat one big meal a day your stomach will obviously expand much more than usual, but before eating your stomach will be smaller than usual. Most people walk around all day with their stomachs somewhere in between bloated and empty.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 07:39:58 am »
you talking about the overweight mother who goes for a walk in the morning or people who actually work out intensely? The latter will have a huge impact.

It sounds like you're talking about extremes. I meant the sort of exercise that avg folks do when exercising to lose weight. I've also seen SOME (not all) people do zero exercise and still lose fat weight (including me). I was referring to this: "if you overeat and don't exercise you will store fat and little muscle," which didn't seem to be talking about intense athletes. Most folks who do some exercise to lose weight and have hectic lives don't engage in Michael Phelps levels of exercise. But I was focusing more on the sedentism--while it probably adds some fat in some people, it isn't by itself going to add nearly as much fat as most people think if they're eating RPD (which I have also experienced). What it does more importantly do is provide more opportunity to eat couch-potato-type foods.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:48:35 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 07:35:25 pm »
If the constipation is a problem, it could be impacted colon or largened colon that is making the belly look larger. On the other hand, it is easy to touch the belly to know if it's fatty or not.

William

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 10:17:32 pm »
I've been fasting for 2 days and I haven't felt hungry at all, so there must be something that's fueling me.

Anywho, this has become a sort of a ramble, but I'm curious if any of you experienced this?

I never feel hungry like I used to when eating carbs, this is typical for fativores.

The feeling of hunger is caused by changes in blood sugar, and that does not change when we go zero carb. Get used to it.

As for a concern about constipation, "garbage in, garbage out" - you are not eating garbage on rzc, so the only excrement will be detox/microbial products, and this varies a lot depending on how polluted a person's body is.
Be happy, don't worry.  :)

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 05:38:02 am »
Overeating on fat will make you fat.  What is this dude talking about?  Why do you think bodybuilders monitor their fat when they're cutting down.  I agree that it would be unnatural to OVEREAT fat, unless you're sitting around forcing yourself to eat pounds of lard.  Then again, I could turn on the tube and go thru a pound of nuts easily. 

Nobody has a flat stomach when there's food and poop in the digestive system.  Even if you had a lean six pack, if you walked out of a buffet after eating 5lbs. of food, your abdomen will be distended, that's totally normal.  Don't confuse that with being fat, that's two different things.  You never see a python get big after eating a large meal? 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 07:10:42 am »
I´m not a complete idiot.

It´s hard to explain but it felt like some sort of medical condition. Take for example, I was very hungry and my stomach was totally empty yet I was EXTREMELY bloated, yet it was a normal bloat, i.e. stomach full of air. It felt more like my stomach was full of something, yet it was empty. That´s why it concerned me a little because it was out of the ordinary.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 12:50:30 pm »
Could it be be from fat entering the large intestine or something which it's not meant to? I think all fat is meant to be absorbed in the small intestine and any that isn't can lead to inflammatory problems and bloating in the 'large'n'? Also, if your immune system was weak/you didn't have enough stomach acid and you ate some meat with lots of bacteria, or minced meat where the bacteria is protected long enough for the acid to be weakened by the food, could the problem be from a bacterial assault? If certain bacteria survive the stomach and make it to the intestines they can cause some damage to the attached organs anyway.

Or, how long ago did you last eat any grain/legumes? They can have keep affecting you for a few days.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:56:37 pm by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 08:41:39 pm »
I think I've realized what this is.

It's water retention in my intestine due to my excessive salt consumption.

I ate a salt heavy meal yesterday and my stomach is as bloated as ever, so that's probably it. 

Offline RawpaleoHealthdiet

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 09:49:20 am »
actually fat doesn't make you fat. the body has no mechanism for storing fat in adipose tissue.
Twitter.com/healthdiets

My blog
http://freedomforcreation.posterous.com/

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 07:08:32 pm »
actually fat doesn't make you fat. the body has no mechanism for storing fat in adipose tissue.
  We've been over this before. Lex proved, conclusively,  some months ago, that on a zc diet, if one greatly increases the fat-levels/percentages, then one inevitably becomes overweight/fat.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 06:20:16 am »
rphd is a pretty obvious troll/gimmick

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 10:35:52 am »
Yeah, me too. I just added another 3-4 pounds this week, though I ate a little bit of berries and honey the last couple days too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk