Author Topic: Tallow concerns  (Read 7218 times)

William

Tallow concerns
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:04:09 pm »
We are all concerned with the safety of what we eat, so I thought to search for hazards associated with tallow consumption, and could not find any.

1- Some members are  clearly better than I at using search engines, or may already know of reputable source(s) for such a concern, so if anyone can find such a reason for concern I am sure that we would all appreciate it.

2- There has been much concern about the difference between raw and cooked tallow.
I tried to make raw tallow that contains all the EFAs found in the usual stuff (http://www.chemicalland21.com/industrialchem/organic/TALLOW%20AMINES.htm) and failed.
However, raw EFAs do exist, we filter so that tallow shall be as close as possible to pure, so surely there will be someone here who can tell us what to look for so as to know if the EFAs have been cooked.

Any and all detectable differences welcome.

alphagruis

Re: Tallow concerns
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:31:41 pm »
We are all concerned with the safety of what we eat, so I thought to search for hazards associated with tallow consumption, and could not find any.

1- Some members are  clearly better than I at using search engines, or may already know of reputable source(s) for such a concern, so if anyone can find such a reason for concern I am sure that we would all appreciate it.

2- There has been much concern about the difference between raw and cooked tallow.
I tried to make raw tallow that contains all the EFAs found in the usual stuff (http://www.chemicalland21.com/industrialchem/organic/TALLOW%20AMINES.htm) and failed.
However, raw EFAs do exist, we filter so that tallow shall be as close as possible to pure, so surely there will be someone here who can tell us what to look for so as to know if the EFAs have been cooked.

Any and all detectable differences welcome.

I can't see the rationale of your link. Fatty amines whether made from tallow or coconut or other fat sources have nothing to do with edible fat. Entirely new non edible chemical compounds obtained by reaction of fatty acids with ammonia and hydrogen !

As to cooked versus raw fat one way to detect cooking may be to measure the relative amount of peroxides or other degradation products. Needs laboratory equipment.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:58:22 pm »
William, you've said raw meat gives you diarrhea, is that correct?   Have you tried eating a lil bit of carbs with your raw meat? It took care of the diarrhea problem for me.

William

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:57:56 am »
William, you've said raw meat gives you diarrhea, is that correct?   Have you tried eating a lil bit of carbs with your raw meat? It took care of the diarrhea problem for me.

IIRC I wrote that it gives me the shits, which is a lesser problem.
For a person with blood sugar problems, carbs are very bad idea.
The problem is solved by drying meat for three hours, so I fixed it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:06:41 am »
It should be obvious that studies done on tallow are going to be few and far between given the fact that the vast majority of people avoid it like the plague, nowadays. Claiming that absence of enough evidence(re dozens of studies) is the same as evidence of absence is rather stupid, though. And we have the numerous anecdotal reports from RVAFers who do badly on pemmican re health. Perhaps I should ask:- "Where, oh where, are those studies proving that pemmican is super-healthy"?

What I love re rendered animal fats, mind you, is the clear, strong  links made between them and the rise of mad cow disease. Perhaps William is so afflicted?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

carnivore

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 03:10:54 pm »

What carbs (fruits, honey ?) do you eat with meat ?
I don't think it's a good idea to mix carbs and meat.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 03:37:01 pm »

When I add a little unheated honey to raw meat, I usually digest it better.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 04:04:17 pm »

Oh, this thread is in zc hundred percent carnivorous.  I'm on whatever side gets you well.  I happen to be cutting (to eat and share) a biggish (for me) chunk of (raw) pork as I'm here.  It's kind of fatty, so I didn't (and won't) plan to add any fat (nor honey), as this one seems good how it is.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

carnivore

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:57:12 pm »

Is your meat fatty or lean ?
Honey has no fiber, so it can be mixed with meat without digestive troubles.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:04:18 pm »
I'm personally more of a fan of Instincto-style mono-eating. At the start of this diet, my digestive system had become so wrecked from decades on SAD diets that I found I only digested food easily if I ate 1 type of food at a time. I did try that Aajonus recommendation re mixing raw honey(comb) with raw meat but it didn't work for me as the combination of different tastes just seemed foul and it didn't help my own digestion.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:41:55 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 11:19:48 pm »
Is your meat fatty or lean ?
Honey has no fiber, so it can be mixed with meat without digestive troubles.

Most of my meat is fatty.  (Raw) liver is the one meat that seems better for me so far always alone, nothing added in the meal.  I can add a little (raw) cream or cinnamon once in a while, but liver usually feels better plain.

I've eaten honey comb.  It used to be the only way I liked honey at all.  Combined with (raw) meat, I've never added regular comb.  I have eaten it (raw meat) with cappings.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 12:06:34 am »

half an onion, a lil bit of cauliflower, cucumber and cherry tomatoes - I did notice that it seems like the food stays longer in my stomach when i eat that way. In the future, I might just eat fruit in the morning and only meat later.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:09:32 am »
half an onion, a lil bit of cauliflower, cucumber and cherry tomatoes - I did notice that it seems like the food stays longer in my stomach that way. I might just eat fruit in the morning and only meat later.

I don't like tomatoes with meat.  I haven't tried cauliflower with (raw) meat.  Maybe I'll try that sometime.  PM me a recipe if you have one, or put it on a non-rawzc thread.  Thanks!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 09:22:18 am »
I'm personally more of a fan of Instincto-style mono-eating.

I do a modified version of this, maybe 2-3 foods at a meal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk