Author Topic: Mercola has become a big fan of raw foods  (Read 7577 times)

Offline Matt51

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Mercola has become a big fan of raw foods
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:46:53 am »
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/02/13/david-wolfe-interview.aspx

He has eaten raw eggs for some time, now he says he eats mostly raw food.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Mercola has become a big fan of raw foods
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:58:48 am »
I've never heard him say he eats a raw paleo diet but if you put together all his articles, he seems to be eating a raw paleo diet. I still read raw vegan forums and apparently there are more and more raw vegan gurus who promote drinking raw milk and eating raw eggs/fish. This diet might be catching on, or rather making a comeback :)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:15:16 am »

Mercola mentioned that he is a "protein type" so it means that he eats meat and probably raw.

Offline Matt51

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:16:19 am »
He says he eats 85% raw, including meat. Says we need it for "biophotons" among other reasons.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/05/29/how-wild-cheetahs-dying-can-massively-improve-your-health.aspx

Offline Huntsforfood

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 03:07:21 am »
His newsletters have had a big impact on my diet that's for sure.  It's because of his advice that I started eating eggs raw.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 03:12:19 am »
I can't stand Mercola's aggressive commercial approach. That's why I rarely have a look at his articles as I can only view most of them if I enter my e-mail-details upon which I get junk e-mail.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 04:35:18 am »
He eats rather low-fat diet with plenty of vegs. That's not rawpaleodiet.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:22:41 am »
I can't stand Mercola's aggressive commercial approach. That's why I rarely have a look at his articles as I can only view most of them if I enter my e-mail-details upon which I get junk e-mail.

You can enter a fake email. I do it anytime I want to read his article. You can put in anything, from raw@yahoo.com or thissucks@hotmail.com. It all works!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 07:27:41 pm »
You can enter a fake email. I do it anytime I want to read his article. You can put in anything, from raw@yahoo.com or thissucks@hotmail.com. It all works!
  Damn, I'd thought that he had software to check if the e-mail was genuine or something. Thanks, now I can read his articles with impunity.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 10:43:54 am »
Except we probably shouldn't advocate that for ethical reasons and to avoid running afoul of another site for reasons other than honest disagreement.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:57:16 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 11:11:11 pm »
Except we probably shouldn't advocate that for ethical reasons and to avoid running afoul of another site for reasons other than honest disagreement.

He invites the abuse by selling things.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 04:44:05 am »
He invites the abuse by selling things.
I agree--especially since I consider some of the things he sells to be quackery and suspect they may be just a way for him to make a fast buck, but two wrongs don't make a right. Not a big deal either way, but I don't like to see our forum dragged down into the muck and mire just because others are wallowing in it.

David “Avocado” Wolfe has been an advocate of raw food for 16 years. He is a world authority on raw foods and superfoods who coaches Hollywood celebrities
I don't know a lot about David Wolfe, having only seen one of his videos and some comments about him, but when I fed this into my skept-o-meter, it went off the charts! It shot up on...
>  the claim of "world authority" without any supporting evidence or explanation as to what it means or who gave him this recognition
> the mention of "superfoods" and "Hollywood celebrities," which are apparently red flag terms for my skept-o-meter, especially when in the same sentence

"I personally try to eat about 85 percent of my food raw, including raw eggs and humanely raised organic animal products that have not been factory farmed." --Dr. Mercola
I knew he ate similarly to us in at least some ways, but I'm not into guru worship and his heavy emphasis on selling stuff and his selling of some quack products deters me from mentioning him much. Plus, his appearance has been growing increasingly emaciated-looking, which is not something I'd particularly want RPD associated with--especially not without first investigating as to the cause (maybe it's perfectly benign in his case, but it reminds me too much of the low-fat raw fruitarian archetype). His teeth are nicely white, but that could be due to a whitening process rather than diet necessarily. Still, I did learn some interesting stuff in the past (when he didn't ask people to subscribe for access) from the articles he posts and his commentary, so I'm not damning everything he says or does by any means.

Quote from: Nation
I still read raw vegan forums and apparently there are more and more raw vegan gurus who promote drinking raw milk and eating raw eggs/fish.
I've noticed that trend too. Eggs and fish are two types of foods that come close to deserving the term "superfoods" (though I don't care for the term and it often is used to suggest that people should buy a lot of expensive foods, juices and supplements from a guru or gorge on exotic tropical fruits/juices--so I think my skept-o-meter is right to raise red flags over it) and seem to be able to offset a lot of damage from raw vegan diets.

He eats rather low-fat diet with plenty of vegs. That's not rawpaleodiet.
Interesting, that could explain his increasing emaciation.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:01:14 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline MaverickHunter40245

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 06:21:04 am »
To avoid his email prompt, I just use NoScript, an add-on for Firefox, which blocks scripts but allows only scripts from sites you specifically put on a whitelist.  I very much recommend it, and it is available here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722
I then set NoScript to forbid scripts from mercola.com.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk