Author Topic: Types of fats  (Read 6762 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Types of fats
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:23:19 pm »
Does anyone have good info on all the types of fats? I know the basics, saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and trans but what about efa's and all the others i dont know about? Anyone know all of them or have a link explaining all the fats that most people including me don't know about.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:02:44 pm by kurite »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Types of fats
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 02:55:31 pm »

Not everyone eats suet as their main fat source. Last time I ate, it gave me indigestion so I will stick with butter for now.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »
And why does everyone eat suet as their fat source?

Because suet is the main source of a fat in an animal.

William

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:00:26 pm »
Not much known, but it's the wrong question anyway.
Fats are not essential, it is the component called EFAs that we seek.
We are getting practically pure EFAs when we eat tallow and ghee, both products of rendering.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:43:18 pm »
SUET IS THE MAIN SOURCE OF FAT IN AN ANIMAL.

That is what I needed to know!!!!!! Damn clearly if it's the main source of fat in an animal then we MUST be able to eat it if we are in good health... Damn I sent an email to a butcher which will make me look really fricking stupid... 'We' must be able to eat a lot of suet right?

By the way, that horrible powdery suet I had, I just left it near my boiler and it went soft and sticky. I guess this is how it would be in a fresh animal too as it'd be warm. It really doesn't taste of much, but it still feels good to eat nevertheless. Do you think I'll develop a taste for it once my body recognises it as food? At the moment, if anything, it tastes a bit like plastic, not that I've ever eaten any. I think that's my eyes and nose tasting it rather than my tongue.

w00t!

It feels great to have possibly unlocked a new food-source.

Oh crap... I'm wondering if the reason it tasted like plastic is because it kind of was a little bit plastic... I had it in plastic bags across the top of the boiler because it was just 'ticking over', but someone actually 'put the gass on', and it got rather hotter than I'd expected. I actually discarded the bits which had been exposed to the most heat as they'd been heat-damaged. I hope I wasn't eating(many, as there'd be some even at 5 degrees C I expect) plastic chemicals.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:56:46 am »
Actually.. This stuff just tastes like wax, makes me really thirsty and not feel very good... It doesn't taste like food..
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:14:32 am »
Actually.. This stuff just tastes like wax, makes me really thirsty and not feel very good... It doesn't taste like food..

Suet is supersaturated and full of cholesterol.  Cholesterol is a saturated fat.  Cholesterol is wax-like.  Suet used to have tallow extracted from it for making candlesticks when they preferred that over beeswax.  Yeah, so, tasting like wax, been there.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:22:41 am »
the taste of some suet is not great, but sometimes i get stuff that tastes pretty good. anyways, i've found that if you heat suet to around 100 degrees F, it tastes much better. softer and much more enjoyable. im assuming this is the consistency of suet from a freshly killed animal as cows have internal temperatures of about 104 degrees or so.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 09:00:35 am »
Hey. That's what I did Yon.. 40C/104F. How much suet do you eat and how do you get on with it..?

Is that bad RawZi, that it's so saturated/waxy/cholesterol'y'? When you say 'been there', what do you mean? Did you stop eating it, or have you adapted to it so it tastes better now?

Thanks.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 10:48:14 am »
Not much known, but it's the wrong question anyway.
Fats are not essential, it is the component called EFAs that we seek.
We are getting practically pure EFAs when we eat tallow and ghee, both products of rendering.

Are you saying rendered fat is pure polyunsaturated omega 3s and omega 6s? If so that's not true since the melting point of saturated and monounsaturated is lower than that needed to render. Tallow has EFAs, mono and saturated fats.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 10:50:10 am »

You get used to it, and start to really like it after a short while.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 12:51:23 pm »
Hey. That's what I did Yon.. 40C/104F. How much suet do you eat and how do you get on with it..?

i eat suet whenever i run out of marrow. lately i've been eating half my fat as marrow and half as suet (and usually just dried suet, not heated). i feel fine with it. i do remember though that i took a few weeks to get used to the taste and for my body to start digesting it better. used to be able to see it in my feces, but not anymore

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 02:28:49 pm »
  Suet is supersaturated and full of cholesterol.  Cholesterol is a saturated fat.  Cholesterol is wax-like.  Suet used to have tallow extracted from it for making candlesticks when they preferred that over beeswax.  Yeah, so, tasting like wax, been there.
It has got indeed more SFA than the other adipose tissues in the body, but there isn't much cholesterol. Cholesterol is not SFA - it's steroid metabolite.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

William

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 04:06:10 pm »
Are you saying rendered fat is pure polyunsaturated omega 3s and omega 6s?

No. AFAIK only Tyler ate rendered fat, and it made him very sick. It would make me sick too.

Tallow has EFAs, mono and saturated fats.

Tallow is as close as I can get with kitchen equipment to pure EFAs.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 01:47:53 pm »
Does bone marrow contain all the essential fatty acids in large quantites?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk