Author Topic: Sunbeds  (Read 24363 times)

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sunbeds
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 02:28:27 am »
What do you think about the 'going 48hrs without bathing/showing after sunbathing part'? How much of an effect do you think this would have? Do you understand it at all?

Again I'm not sure about D absorbtion, but I shower on a regular almost daily basis and use soap (bronners). Often this is right after working out/sun exposure. My skin is getting plenty darker and my D levels are fine/improving. If I have some minor burn I will instinctually not use soap there, and usually tend to shower in ice cold water anyway, but have picked up some bad habits with preferring warm/hot water this winter. I've gone long periods without soap and the consesus is - is that I smell terribly even if I can't notice it - but that is another thing. I think this is a non issue, but if you are concered don't use anything abrasive on those parts and use cold water. There is no way spending time in beach water effects such things negatively.

Also... If it is physically comfortable to do so, do you think it is safe to lie face-up with the sun beating down on one's face, with only the eyelids to cover the eyes?

I'm comfused how else one might get sun. I've burned my nose but never my eyelids.

Offline gep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 05:01:20 am »
Also... If it is physically comfortable to do so, do you think it is safe to lie face-up with the sun beating down on one's face, with only the eyelids to cover the eyes?

dr W. Bates recommend eyes sunbathing as a form of therapy, so it supposed to be good for eyes. The question is for how long its safe.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 06:20:48 pm »
Wouldn't one also lose a lot of their skin-surface oils on clothes, soft bedding and through sweating? Would there be much left to be lost from washing?

Also how does the UVA:UVB ratio of sunbeds compare to that of the sun?

Woah... Some doctors have apparently prescribed people to use sun-bed salons, and even to get home sun-beds. That would be neat.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:50:33 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 01:51:49 am »
ICNIRP recommendations

In its 2003 publication ICNIRP recommends against the use of UV-emitting appliances for tanning or other non-medical purposes. ICNIRP states that the following groups are at particularly high risk of incurring adverse health effects from UV, and therefore should be particularly counseled against the use of tanning appliances:

People who have skin phototypes I or II;
Children (i.e., less than 18 years of age);
People who have large numbers of nevi (moles);
Persons who tend to freckle;
Individuals who have a history of frequent childhood sunburn;
People who have pre-malignant or malignant skin lesions;
People who have sun-damaged skin;
Those who are wearing cosmetics. These may enhance their sensitivity to UV exposure; and
Persons taking medications. In this case they should seek advice from their physician to determine if the medication will make them UV-sensitive.

What are skin phototypes I and II?

Also how does the UVA:UVB ratio of sunbeds compare to that of the sun?

I imagine it varies, depending on which brand sunbed and which model sunbed.    
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 03:54:47 am »
Phototypes I&II are just people considered to be vulnerable to burning, based on individual history and physical appearance. Phototypes range I-VI.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:11:21 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 04:02:32 am »
Phototypes I&II are just people considered to be vulnerable to burning, based on individual history

I wish someone told me that before I spent five minutes in the sunbed.  The guy (owner of the salon) told me the special waves (was it B?) were safer than all their previous models and recommendable to anyone for thirty minutes a first go.  Maybe it would have .. killed?  ... me?  I'm glad I didn't listen often to people I didn't know.  Damn the person who insisted I should go there in the first place, that it would be good for me.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 08:40:38 pm »
Is there a particular type of fat which the body prefers to use for the skin-surface?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 12:21:28 am »
Is there a particular type of fat which the body prefers to use for the skin-surface?

I don't know, but I ate much of my fat from meat as a child, but I burned terrible.  The meat was cooked.  I ate marrow with beef and veal bones.  I ate fat with steak.  I ate chicken fat spread on bread.  I also got terrible acne.  Lay people thought I had  ... gosh knows what ... whatever the worst skin plague was they could think of or chicken pox 24/7/365.

Later I was vegan.  My skin change then came within a month.  I got my fat from nuts or seeds, whole grains and sometimes olive oil.  I still got some bad burns.  I also got like plugs of wax from time to time in various pores.  There was a time there I was getting the wax things in my limbs.  My nutrition was very poor then.  I only remember eating fruit then, so I guess that's not a testimony of any fat.  The last years of my vegan-hood my skin had orange oil pouring from it and felt burning, tight and dry.

On raw grass grazed butter for most of my fat, my skin stopped being alien fluorescent orange, stopped being blotchy, stopping feeling opposite strange odd temperatures all at the same time, stopped feeling too tight, stopped burning and started feeling like it did when I was a small child before dentistry, felt good.  My skin change here also happened in a month.

I try raw coconut fat, EVOO, suet, marrow etc from time to time.  I burn with EVOO, although I know some ppl swear by it.  Raw coconut oil makes my skin soft but can break out my face.  I know people who swear by it to use as a topical sunscreen.  Suet, I guess that's good, but strange.  I think fresh marrow works pretty well.  Raw cream and butter I think are tops for me, and maybe deep cold water fish.

I've read of people using lard on their skin, and finding it very helpful.  Generally I didn't use anything on my skin till a couple of days ago.  I did use sunscreen when I burned.  A few days ago, to the exposed areas only, I've been applying a cream that's a mixture of raw butter, raw coconut and a few other herbs.  People like the smell and puppies love the taste.  It's supposed to make a difference in the skin in twenty-four hours.  It looks shiny/oily when I put it on.  Otherwise, I notice no difference.  

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 02:36:56 am »
I couldn't find my notes so I went to talk to my old professor: you are able to obtain viamin D from sunbeds as long as they are using the proper wavelength, you would have to ask the providers if they are using them or not they will most likely know.  The amount comparable to the sun if using the proper wavelength is anywhere from 10-25% absorption rate, as the sun is around 80%-100%. 

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 08:29:35 am »
I couldn't find my notes so I went to talk to my old professor: you are able to obtain viamin D from sunbeds as long as they are using the proper wavelength, you would have to ask the providers if they are using them or not they will most likely know.  The amount comparable to the sun if using the proper wavelength is anywhere from 10-25% absorption rate, as the sun is around 80%-100%. 

Actually, I have read that the same frequencies that cause tanning are the ones that cause vitamin D production. I don't really know if it's possible to have 1 without the other.

Offline sydney

• Scavenger
  • smiling 'Piggy'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 09:17:58 am »
The vitamin d council have quite a bit of info on sunbeds. I became interested because I am interested in remaining young and avoiding diseases of aging. I am 61 and in good health. For 1 1/2 year I follow a personally adapted wap type diet eg high fat, broths, raw and some femented food. I have just been able to access raw milk so am making that (with raw egg yolks) the foundation of my diet. I don;t mind a bit of meat but I didn't like it raw when I tried it out of curiosity. I have come to this forum for debate on side issues like this present one of sunbeds.
The sunbed place I go to in the uk, well i can't imagine them know much of anything eg min wage employees. But the brand is the same as ones recommened at the vit d council. There is quite alot of evidence linking diseases to latitude. People like the inuit would be out in the sun all day so have longer periods to get the rays. Also they ate fermented fish oils (I take fermented cod liver oil supplement). I only started the sun bed this winter. And i strictly limit my time usually only 6 minutes. My feeling is the tan says you are getting the d. If anyone thinks this isn't true i'd be interested in hearing their thought. Personally I'd rather take the bed than take lab produced vit d. Seems more natural. I'm not convinced at this point that one can get enough d from food. Again am interested in others views. 
The thing about the sunbed that sorta surprised me was the psychological effect. I really enjoy it! Its really relaxing. Maybe I've got a marginal bit of seasonal affective disorder I didn't know about but the bed definately raised my spirits.Sydney
Sydney

William

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 10:32:37 am »
The vitamin d council have quite a bit of info on sunbeds. I became interested because I am interested in remaining young and avoiding diseases of aging.

Like many Canadians, I used to winter in Arizona where everybody is tanned all winter. They get sick and die anyway.

Diseases of aging were eliminated by Dr. Blake F. Donaldson for his patients. His book is out of print, but available last I saw through online used booksellers. "Strong Medicine" is part of the title.
I don't have any of the diseases of aging, most likely because I eat raw zero carb.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 10:45:52 am »
I don't have any of the diseases of aging, most likely because I eat raw zero carb.

except heart disease...

sorry, i had to do it.

William

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 10:59:23 am »
except heart disease...

sorry, i had to do it.

No problem, it's in remission.      :D

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 11:43:17 pm »
Anyone using sunbeds this winter?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 12:25:10 am »
Anyone using sunbeds this winter?

yeah, I just joined a conventional gym and you can use the beds (and get other perks like reduced priced smoothies!  -v) for $20. I don't think they have the healthiest model (I've only really done the stand-up ones which cycle air and feel amazing) but I'm probably going to try it out. I take vit D softgells (now brand) as well now. I regret the late summer days I stayed indoors :/.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 03:22:54 am »
dr W. Bates recommend eyes sunbathing as a form of therapy, so it supposed to be good for eyes. The question is for how long its safe.
If you are talking about the Bates method guy I think he suggests doing it with closed eyes or looking through the hands. His books are online.

I and my GF have been doing sungazing as per;
http://solarhealing.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCJPxxKoaY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv1VPQr7GZ4

We have had fantastic results with her eyes improving quite a bit as per her visits to an eye doc and mine have improved also
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 03:31:38 am »
Personally I probably wouldn't do a sun tanning bed but there was a study done I believe in England many years ago where they used fluorescent bulbs that had been changed to give off a spectrum which was closer to natural sunlight as opposed to the (gross) cool white ones.

The bulbs were used in classrooms for children and the results were quite striking. Colds, flus etc (illnesses) reduced, children were more attentive, well behaved and their marks improved overall. Honestly I don't remember any other details, but I remember that I got some of those bulbs (fluorescent tubes) for my wood workshop and I did notice that it was much more comfortable to work in and felt better on the eyes. Cool white bulbs are not nice at all and are supposed to damage the eyes if used long term.

I remember I told my secretary about them so she switched the office bulbs and she reported it was much better. The bulbs were quite pricey but worth it.
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2010, 09:02:24 am »
Yes I agree that some fluresent bulbs are harsh on the senses and I think they give off a bad energy,

I am a sunshine addict and if its not summer I will tan about once a week in a bed. these are the lower intensity thirty minuet beds and I will lay for 20 minuets, I wont use any lotion and treat my skin with coconut oil afterwards. I have been doing this since around the time I started this diet and I fell wonderful every time I leave the bed and I believe its good for me and I have known many people who experience great health benefits from tanning. The whole cancer thing is overblown , I think allot of the skin cancers associated with sun bathing is related to the use of toxic lotions and tanning oils which are know carcinogens.

We aren't much different from plant life we need to bask in the sun in order to bloom into our full glory, I let my kids run around all summer without any sunscreen and they developed a nice even tan and never burned. The nature of vitamin d as a fat soluble vitamin means that it can be stored for up to 6 months and that people in temperate climates should soak up enough rays during the sunny season to last them the whole winter, sadly with the addition of artificial vitamin d to children's formula and milk, antibiotics, ect;  I often wonder if a lot of people have a damaged capacity to use the vitamin D they do absorb.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:09:54 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline FoxWoman

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 08:30:46 am »
I am all for tanning beds. I live in the north of Canada where we don`t have much sunshine, especially in the winter. I have been tanning regularly for about 3 years now (approximately 3 15-minute sessions a week), and tanning makes me feel amazing. In addition to a nice, golden, healthy-looking tan (I am a very white redhead and without tanning look like an anemic ghost), tanning (combined with a proper diet) completely eliminated my psoriasis patches from my elbows and knees and also significantly reduced depression and winter blues.  I hardly ever get colds or flues now, which I think is due to a good vitamin D status. Interestingly enough, I used to suffer from regular colds back in the days when I was taking cod liver oil regularly (and eating grains!). Then I dropped cod liver oil (to reduce the amounts of PUFAs) and opted for tanning beds instead, and changed my diet to a low-carb lacto-paleo version with a significant amount of raw foods -  and so far I am very very pleased with the results. I still have some psoriasis patches on my scalp, and I still have some issues with depression & anxiety, but these are a far cry from what I had before. My health has improved significantly.

Offline BakeyMan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
    • Eternal Tortoise
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 12:23:41 pm »
Wouldn't buying a sunlamp be less costly?  That's what I did for the winter.  I should carry it around with me throughout the house and let it be my only light source, besides windows. 

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 12:46:45 am »
I should carry it around with me throughout the house and let it be my only light source, besides windows. 

Microsoft Windows? tee hee
Cheers
Al

Offline BakeyMan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
    • Eternal Tortoise
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 04:15:18 am »
Microsoft Windows? tee hee

That jokes too true to life, I can't laugh!  :o

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 08:16:51 am »
That jokes too true to life, I can't laugh!  :o
Don't be talkin! I'm face planted into this screen for waaaaaay too much of the day!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk