Author Topic: Shellfish  (Read 6329 times)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Shellfish
« on: September 02, 2010, 07:44:27 pm »
I decided I would eat some mussels today because I know shellfish are a rich source of many minerals. I thought if i'm short of a mineral then eating some shellfish will top me up. However I'm pretty sure now that I am allergic to them.
So my question is...is it really necessary to eat shellfish? Can you get all the benefits of eating shellfish from somewhere else, for example beef? Is eating wild salt water fish just as good as eating shellfish or is the latter a superior source of minerals etc.?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Shellfish
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:00:08 pm »
Try liver.
With B12 it is liver, clams, oysters.

I think nothing beats oysters in the zinc department.

It did magic to my eyes and sperm production.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:26:12 pm »
I have a similar issue when I've tried mussels. What symptoms do you develop?

I develop a constriction of the throat and a tightening feeling, though it is uncomfortable and not very severe.

Interestingly, I don't get this reaction from shrimp, oysters, clams, scallops.

Depending on how severe your reaction to mussels are, it may be worth your while to sample some wild, raw shellfish other than mussels. My two favorite right now are oysters and clams, for their taste and price.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:46:26 pm »
Yeah now that you mention it GS, liver seems to be a good alternative. A quick google search reveals that beef liver contains a moderate amount of zinc and is a good source of a hell of a lot of other mins n vits. I ate a whole cow liver (about 2.5 kilos) last week. So that should have given me a boost. I hope there's no issue of vit A toxicity though...

bharminder...i got that uncomfortable, itchy feeling and slight swelling in the throat and also a slight swelling of lips. I also got this when I ate a mixture of squid, scallops and prawns a while ago. But because I ate them at the same time I don't know which is the culprit. However, when I ate cooked paleo (about half a yr ago) i never got any reaction to mussels, squid or prawns and I had never eaten scallops.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 10:22:29 pm »

Eat everything separately, so you will feel what is the proper amount you can eat without triggering any bad reaction. The symptoms you got were probably due to the fact that you ate to much of it. Usually I can't eat more than a few mussels.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:53:03 am »
I felt the symptoms after having eaten about 2 or 3 mussels. I carried on eating a few hoping the feeling would just go away (probably because I bought 2 kilos of them and didn't want to waste them lol). I ate about 10 in total.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 02:10:11 am »

You most probably should have stopped at 2, so the symptoms would haven been minor!

;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 02:38:18 am »
Raw shelllfish are an acquired taste. Try raw scallops or  raw oysters instead.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 02:44:29 am »
I think nothing beats oysters in the zinc department. 
I think that testicles may beat them or are equal to them. 
The libido scyrockets after eating them.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 02:46:10 am »
Raw shelllfish are an acquired taste. Try raw scallops or  raw oysters instead.

Don't get me wrong, I love the taste of shellfish. Just seem to be allergic to them that's all.

alphagruis

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 02:49:09 am »
You most probably should have stopped at 2, so the symptoms would haven been minor!

;)

Excellent point, Iguana  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truism

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk