Author Topic: Maple Syrup  (Read 8102 times)

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Maple Syrup
« on: September 28, 2010, 02:20:35 am »
Maple Syrup =O

Good?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Maple Syrup
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 02:25:48 am »
Processed, don't bother!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:59:48 am »
I heard that the raw sap which comes out of the tree is watery and not very sweet. To make maple syrup, this sap is boiled down to concentrate the sugar. Maybe ask a small-scale producer if you can buy the raw sap.

djr_81

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 06:13:25 am »
I heard that the raw sap which comes out of the tree is watery and not very sweet. To make maple syrup, this sap is boiled down to concentrate the sugar. Maybe ask a small-scale producer if you can buy the raw sap.
It's something ridiculous like 40 gallons of sap to one gallon of syrup.
There are other saps out there which would be more enjoyable in their raw form than sugar maple.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 06:48:40 am »
Pure maple syrup is much better than other things. Fruit and raw honey is better of course.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:41:35 am »
    Better than HFCS.  Actually, anything is better than that.  It's not raw.  How did the Native Americans use it?  Or did they just use the sap? 
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 07:48:17 am »
    Better than HFCS.  Actually, anything is better than that.  It's not raw.  How did the Native Americans use it?  Or did they just use the sap? 
here's good info on how natives used it http://www.kstrom.net/isk/food/maple.html
I

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:23:08 am »
There are plenty of maple trees out here and I have tapped one for the sap. It was not sweet at all. It takes a lot of cooking to make it nearly as sweet as the stuff in stores.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:45:16 am »
Which would you choose between maple syrup and raw cane sugar? I'm especially curious about the opinion of raw purists, if they had to choose.

No interest in either of them myself, but since some people are apparently not completely opposed to recommending maple syrup (perhaps as a lesser of evils vs. some sweeteners?) it raises this interesting question.

Also, what do raw purists (including Instinctos) think about raw sugar cane?

>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 10:38:22 am »
I would choose a whole sugar cane over pure maple syrup, pure maple syrup over Sugar In the Raw brand.

Had a sugar cane a while ago, a long while ago.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 11:21:56 am »
So do you view the processing of raw cane sugar as more unhealthful than the cooking of the maple syrup?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 11:25:04 am »
I would have maple syrup over "raw" cane sugar any day. The part of the cane that has most of the minerals is stripped from the sugar, at least with maple syrup you still get minerals.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 01:44:19 pm »
used to throw some good amount of money into the water (buying so called good quality maple syrup from a high end health food store) in my raw vegan days. any way, i cut down all sugars  now and enjoying sun and raw zero carb paleolithic diet. mind over matter :)
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk