Author Topic: Raw Fat and Eczema?  (Read 10165 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Raw Fat and Eczema?
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:53:38 am »
OK, so when I eat fat, such as bone marrow, It seems to cause a break out of eczema on my face...which i never had before this diet. I thought fat was suppose to prevent/make your skin more soft and moist. It seems to be just drying mine out. This only seems to be avoided if I up the fruit intake.  Also, my dandruff/hair loss seems to not be getting any better and I've stop shampooing and use distilled water to wash my hair twice a week.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Fat and Eczema?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 06:00:53 am »
Same thing happened to me.

I came here, read all the nonsense that's posted here about fat, most of it originating from lex and his followers (for example the fact that 80% calories should come from fat which is ridiculous).

So I started eating lots of suet and boom, out of the blue I get this huge patch of eczema on my neck. Never had any problems on my neck before. Always been silky smooth beautiful skin. And even now after I've stopped it's still there.

Although I'm not worried, I know it will go away eventually, but Its still very annoying.

Now I'm not saying fat is bad, in fact I'm a big believer in fat and I'm grateful about what I've learned about fat on this forum. I think the problem is, is the amount of fat which some users here recommend you eat.

I've done my fair share of hunting, and in fact I just came from Greenland where I was hunting reindeer and Musk Ox and neither animal carries such an amount of fat which would enable you to eat 80% of calories from fat. Nor have I ever seen any land animal with such amount of fat which would warrant such a ridiculous claim. In fact I'd claim that anything above 20-30% would be pushing it.

Conclusion: The fat is not the problem. The amount of fat is the problem.  Over eating is always a problem if your body is not in caloric need. I'd bet you'd get problems if you overate of fruit aswell.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:20:39 am by ForTheHunt »
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 09:28:01 am »
I agree with not understanding how one could consume such large amounts of fat in the wild..its just not there when the animal is grass fed. It seems the 70-80% fat intake stems from the inuits who had access to such large quantities due to the whale/seal blubber. I just thought i'd try large amounts of fat to gain weight...but i dont want the eczema so i guess i have to eat whole grains or raw milk? I'm really at a loss here of what to do.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:13:09 am »
I've never noticed that problem. I notice that within a day or two after eating a lot of carbs my scalp is flakier than normal.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 11:13:40 am »
Same thing happened to me.

I came here, read all the nonsense that's posted here about fat, most of it originating from lex and his followers (for example the fact that 80% calories should come from fat which is ridiculous).

So I started eating lots of suet and boom, out of the blue I get this huge patch of eczema on my neck. Never had any problems on my neck before. Always been silky smooth beautiful skin. And even now after I've stopped it's still there.

Although I'm not worried, I know it will go away eventually, but Its still very annoying.

Now I'm not saying fat is bad, in fact I'm a big believer in fat and I'm grateful about what I've learned about fat on this forum. I think the problem is, is the amount of fat which some users here recommend you eat.

I've done my fair share of hunting, and in fact I just came from Greenland where I was hunting reindeer and Musk Ox and neither animal carries such an amount of fat which would enable you to eat 80% of calories from fat. Nor have I ever seen any land animal with such amount of fat which would warrant such a ridiculous claim. In fact I'd claim that anything above 20-30% would be pushing it.

Conclusion: The fat is not the problem. The amount of fat is the problem.  Over eating is always a problem if your body is not in caloric need. I'd bet you'd get problems if you overate of fruit aswell.
I completely agree that 80% fat is just ridiculous. However by calories I believe it should be around 50-60%. If an animal has a body fat percentage of 10% then for every 4 oz of meat you eat you will get aproximately 100 cals from fat and 84 cals from protein
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 12:57:03 pm »
OK, so when I eat fat, such as bone marrow, It seems to cause a break out of eczema on my face...which i never had before this diet. I thought fat was suppose to prevent/make your skin more soft and moist. It seems to be just drying mine out. This only seems to be avoided if I up the fruit intake.  Also, my dandruff/hair loss seems to not be getting any better and I've stop shampooing and use distilled water to wash my hair twice a week.

Fruit is hydrating, more powerful hydrator than plain old water.
Lex needs to drink a full gallon of water a day because he doesn't eat fruit.

I say a full gallon of water a day is hard on the kidneys.
I'd rather get my water from hydrating fruit.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 01:43:42 pm »

ForTheHunt, I don't think I ever stated that 80% of calories SHOULD come from fat.  In fact, when asked, I usually recommend most people try 65% calories from fat to see how that suits them.  What I did do is try an experiment which is recounted in my journal, where I changed my fat intake from 65% to 80%+ to see what would happen.  The results are in my journal for all to read.  The experiment and the results make no recommendation as to what others should do.  It only recounts my personal experience.

Conclusion: The fat is not the problem. The amount of fat is the problem.  Over eating is always a problem if your body is not in caloric need. I'd bet you'd get problems if you overate of fruit as well.

You’ll get no argument from me on this statement.  I think I’ve pretty much said the same thing several times in my journal as well as other posts.  ZC does not magically exempt you from the problems of overeating, and it has unique problems of its own as does every other dietary protocol.

As far as the 80% fat theory coming from the Inuits, there is another theory that attempts to cover all early paleo man.  The idea is that we are relatively physically weak and therefore were scavengers first and foremost.  With our ability to solve problems by the use of tools, much of our food came from consuming the less accessible parts of the animal like the brain and bone marrow, both of which are well protected by a thick bone covering.  Both are also very high in fat – well over 80% of calories if taken alone.  Evidence of shattered animal bones and skulls at the various digs seems to support this idea.  Before early humans developed their social structure, it could very well be that they got much of their nutrition from the leftovers of another animal’s kill.  After all, one or two humans is no match for most large animals, but we are crafty devils and may have let other more powerful animals make the kill, let them eat their fill, and then come in to steal the leftovers from the mop up crews like the dogs and birds.

The higher fat theory also allows us to get by with much less food intake and still meet energy needs.  I eat one meal per day that averages about 650g – 700g ( about 1 ½ lbs), and if it is consistently high in fat (80% of calories or more) I have difficulty consuming even that small amount and I will also put on significant weight. The calorie content is close to 2500 which is far more than someone my age needs.

On the other hand, if I consume a meal of the same size that is 50% of calories from fat, I often get hungry again before the day is through, and I may need another 450g (l lb) of food to keep me sated.  I think for most of us there is a happy medium somewhere between 50% and 90% calories from fat that will best meet our individual needs.

Bottom line is that I make no hard and fast recommendations on much of anything, including the quantity of fat anyone should consume.  I just recount my experiences, the results I obtain, and how my results compare with the current popular beliefs.  People are then free to consider or disregard my comments when making their own decisions.

Lex 

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 02:05:27 pm »
Fruit is hydrating, more powerful hydrator than plain old water.
Lex needs to drink a full gallon of water a day because he doesn't eat fruit.

A rather interesting conclusion you've drawn.  The truth is that I drink about 3l of water per day in an effort to deal with my kidney stone problem.  I have no idea what caused them but after studying the matter it seemed that the only common denominator was low fluid intake so I increased the amount of water I drink.  So far I haven't had a reoccurrence.  I don't eat fruit or drink juices because I don't think these sugar laden foods are appropriate for humans to consume on a regular basis.

Also, not sure that fruit is such a good solution as my son-in-law eats lots of 'hydrating' fruit and he suffers bouts of both kidney stones and gout on a regular basis (usually once or twice a year).  Both are very painful conditions and my goal is to avoid them.  Water seemed the safest bet.

Lex

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 02:28:15 pm »
A rather interesting conclusion you've drawn.  The truth is that I drink about 3l of water per day in an effort to deal with my kidney stone problem.  I have no idea what caused them but after studying the matter it seemed that the only common denominator was low fluid intake so I increased the amount of water I drink.  So far I haven't had a reoccurrence.  I don't eat fruit or drink juices because I don't think these sugar laden foods are appropriate for humans to consume on a regular basis.

Also, not sure that fruit is such a good solution as my son-in-law eats lots of 'hydrating' fruit and he suffers bouts of both kidney stones and gout on a regular basis (usually once or twice a year).  Both are very painful conditions and my goal is to avoid them.  Water seemed the safest bet.

Lex

What is your son-in-law's diet?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 05:51:21 pm »
So Goodsamaritan,

Do you consider the intake of hydrating fruit as a good way to combat eczema and dry skin?

What are the best hydrating fruits, with the lowest glycemic impact and fructose content?

Thanks

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 08:25:12 pm »
So Goodsamaritan,

Do you consider the intake of hydrating fruit as a good way to combat eczema and dry skin?

What are the best hydrating fruits, with the lowest glycemic impact and fructose content?

Thanks

Fructose from fruit is not necessarily bad.  This is not the exact same fructose as in your artificial drinks.
In my country we have coconuts and watermelon and melons and other delicious fruits in season.
You might have berries, oranges and apples in your country.

If you are terribly insulin sensitive / carb sensitive, then maybe you need to work on getting vegetable green nutrition to fix your insulin sensitivity problems.  You can always eat ampalaya / bitter melon to fix insulin sensitivity problems.

The issue with eating raw fat consumption and eczema... the obvious problem is the current quality of your bile.  You need to improve the quality of your bile to achieve fantastic digestion and avoid leaky gut.

This is where consistent eating of an omnivorous raw paleo diet + detox protocols come in.  You may need green juice and raw red meat to nourish your liver to create good bile.

I do not know how far you have gone with your eczema cure protocol.  How long you have been on raw paleo.  What detoxes you have done.  How long have you stopped taking steroids or any drugs?

I believe in a high everything raw diet while you are healing.  There may be cases you need to do some fasting.  It all depends on your current state of health.  If you are slim, fat, your age, etc.  Pictures will be helpful.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 08:34:12 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline technosmith

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 10:49:44 pm »
Hi Goodsamaritan,

Thanks for your advice. That's great.

I have been on a cooked paleo diet for a couple of years, but have just recently (last month) switched to raw paleo. I have not done any detoxes. I stopped taking steroids, and all other drugs, 2-3 years ago I think.

My adrenals are functioning less than optimally, and that's why I asked about the glycemic impact of fruit.

I am 28, and slim.

I currently eat plenty of raw red meat.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 12:31:02 am »

I really doubt that the real cause for your condition was suet, especially if it came from a healthy animal.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 12:39:59 am »
I really doubt that the real cause for your condition was suet, especially if it came from a healthy animal.

Well I can guarantee you, it was because of the suet and the beef was all grassfed.

How do I know it was the suet? Well because it was my period of trying RZC so I ate nothing but suet and beef for 3 weeks and the first week it started and the weeks following it digressed.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline oxman1204

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 02:19:06 am »
It was probably because the fat was frozen, try completely fresh unfrozen raw fat or bone marrow and it will most likely go away. A lot of people have problems with previously frozen food,including myself .

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 03:00:23 am »
Wasnt frozen, never eat anything frozen

Offline Arthas_

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 06:49:43 am »
Fat is the base material for the production of many hormones. If you suddenly add lots of fats to a previous low or moderate fat diet, you are bound to get a temporary hormonal unbalance. Your hormonal production will skyrocket, and your body won't handle it in the beginning, so you might get some problems like eczema or acne. You have to increase your intake of fat gradually in order for your body to adapt to it. It takes time.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: SUET tastes bad, mixed with FLOUR?
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 07:37:29 am »
Suet... tastes bad.
I never eat suet because it tastes bad.
I follow my taste buds and suet just sucks.
Now live back fat, bone marrow, brain... now your talking yumminess.

Why you guys eat suet?

"Pre-packaged suet sold in supermarkets is dehydrated suet. It is made mixed with flour to make it stable at room temperature."

If this is the suet you bought then you got wheat victimized.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:43:31 am by goodsamaritan »

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 07:54:51 am »
What is your son-in-law's diet?

I'd call it Mediterranean/American as he is from a traditional Greek family.  Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, pasta, rice, well cooked meats, etc.  Sweets are usually drizzled with a honey syrup.

Lex

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 08:04:25 am »
Fat is the base material for the production of many hormones. If you suddenly add lots of fats to a previous low or moderate fat diet, you are bound to get a temporary hormonal unbalance. Your hormonal production will skyrocket, and your body won't handle it in the beginning, so you might get some problems like eczema or acne. You have to increase your intake of fat gradually in order for your body to adapt to it. It takes time.

This I might believe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk