Author Topic: Vitamin D UV Lamp  (Read 18114 times)

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Vitamin D UV Lamp
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:26:26 am »
Hey all,

Has anyone used these Sperti vitamin D lamps during the winter time?
http://www.vitaminduv.com/purchase/vitamin-duv-f-fluorescent-lamp.html

I generally avoid cod liver oil, plus I'm skeptical as to whether the supplements I've tried before are actually an optimal dose, so I was considering this lamp for the winter, now that "my shadow is longer than me" on midday walkabout.

I'm thinking about importing this lamp for myself and family members, but I thought I'd gather some sensible consensus from my paleo contemporaries as a preemptive strike...

Cheers,

Scotty
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Vitamin D UV Lamp
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 05:32:41 am »
these lights marketed as VIT D are a rip off. Go to your local indoor growing store, get one twice as strong for half the price.(an old buddy told me about this)
The price is wrong Bob

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:43:29 am »
Sweet avatar...Where's that from?

Specs/example please...If I'm bathing my skin with a UV lamp, it'd better be calibrated with full professional (re)liability...

I'd rather pay for assurance...What says ye?

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:55:21 am »
Thanks man, TooL is hands down the best active band if u listen to rock. They get better as they go. DL 10,000days (the whole album) its bassically jizz.
Ya my family is quite blessed and we have cash to throw, so my mom bought the vit d one cause it is marketed for that. But idunno, if ur question is where to get a growing lamp, jsut go to a gardening store and ask them for where abouts.

GET 10,000 DAYS NOW ALL WHO READ THISSSSSS (flac files are 25x better than mp3 btw. plus they are more paleo (not compressed) :P)
The price is wrong Bob

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:49:27 am »
Many growing lamps emit light with frequency range optimal for photosynthesis. The frequency range for Vitamin D production is different. So it would be a good idea to carefully research the frequency range of a lamp before buying it.

UVB: 280–315 nm (for vitD production).

Chlorophylls a & b, and carotenoids have an absorption peak around 400-500 nm, and chlorophylls a&b also have smaller peaks at 600-700 nm. (for photosynthesis).

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 01:06:26 pm »
...just use the fluorescent tubes or compact fluorescent lamps that are meant for reptiles:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/13006/product.web
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/lightingsurveyintro.htm
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/compactlamps.htm
There is different strengths, they are not too expensive, and they are specifically made so that the sun loving reptiles, like desert lizards can utilize them to synthesize vit. D
Some emit heat as well but you can get ones that emit mostly uVB/uVA light only
We'll be basking under the lamps like lizards...ha ha ha

edit: the frequencies are written on the packages and they also depend how far you sit from the lamp of course

Many growing lamps emit light with frequency range optimal for photosynthesis. The frequency range for Vitamin D production is different. So it would be a good idea to carefully research the frequency range of a lamp before buying it.
UVB: 280–315 nm (for vitD production).
Chlorophylls a & b, and carotenoids have an absorption peak around 400-500 nm, and chlorophylls a&b also have smaller peaks at 600-700 nm. (for photosynthesis).

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 01:40:22 pm »
sun loving reptiles, like desert lizards can utilize them to synthesize vit. D
Some emit heat as well but you can get ones that emit mostly uVB/uVA light only
We'll be basking under the lamps like lizards...ha ha ha

edit: the frequencies are written on the packages and they also depend how far you sit from the lamp of course

Are there reptiles that do poorly if they don't get UvA and at the same time do get UvB?  Is it possible for a bulb to give UvB while not giving UvA?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 02:18:36 pm »
    Are there reptiles that do poorly if they don't get UvA and at the same time do get UvB?  Is it possible for a bulb to give UvB while not giving UvA?

Many reptiles need both uva and uvb, there are some uva only lamps and uvb only lamps, most have both I think.
Search on the net or check a local exotic pet store you may find one, there are so many different brands and types.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 02:56:16 pm »
Many reptiles need both uva and uvb, there are some uva only lamps and uvb only lamps ...
Search on the net or check a local exotic pet store you may find one, there are so many different brands ...

I know some read UvA or read UvB.  I wonder if part of the spectrum may hurt some non human animals.  I think I will ask bulb companies.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 11:34:25 pm »
I don't really like the ambiguity when it comes to cooking myself on a daily basis - I'd rather pay the premium for a human-ready/intended version...In my opinion, it's worth the peace of mind that it delivers...

I've f*cked myself up plenty by cutting corners and being daring, so in the case of UV radiation, I'm not sure I want to be that edgy this time...

What says you - do you have much experience in this endeavour?

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 12:19:58 am »
well, getting melanoma from the sun is bullshit. IDK if it would be the same from a UV lamb, but since it is the same rays, probably.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 01:26:22 am »
What's your point?

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 09:57:16 pm »
Just to let people know that the sun is not a demon and not to be scared of UV light.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 10:47:21 pm »
Expose to the sun as much of your skin as possible, daily, even in the winter.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Cheers
Al

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 01:51:33 am »
Expose to the sun as much of your skin as possible, daily, even in the winter.

I have a big window beside where I have my computer and if I open the window I get pretty intense unfiltered sunlight falling on me, especially in the evening  :) This is cool because I can even absorb the sun while I am doing my computer work!
However when it gets really cold and then I won't be able to do that and it will be filtered by a glass  :'(, and I am not sure if a lamp can give me the full benefit of the real sun, it may even be more dangerous who knows, I always prefer the real sun somehow. Maybe in the winter I'll practice running out in the snow in my swimsuit in the yard at the sunniest times, then I can get the real sun rays ...you don't have to be in the sun all day anyway to get the benefits...and I can get my body temperature used to the cold at the same time. Like taking cold shower but in the snow ha ha

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 02:09:57 am »
I always prefer the real sun somehow. Maybe in the winter I'll practice running out in the snow in my swimsuit in the yard at the sunniest times, then I can get the real sun rays ...you don't have to be in the sun all day anyway to get the benefits...and I can get my body temperature used to the cold at the same time.
that is an awesome idea. It's not even that cold in the winter like it used to, at least here in London On. And the running/sprints will keep ya warm shortly. What part of can u in?
The price is wrong Bob

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 02:33:51 am »
I am in Toronto, the winters here are truly pathetic compared to where I lived before (around Montreal Quebec) so runnning out almost naked should not be too difficult  ;D
I remember in Montreal it used to get so cold that some days tears around my eyes would freeze instantly sometimes your eyes can freeze shut, ah I miss all that snow though, its so peaceful. Way before that I lived in Russia and the winters there were pretty cold and very snowy as well, when summer hit it got pretty hot.

Offline the PresiDenT

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 02:42:25 am »
I am in Toronto, the winters here are truly pathetic compared to where I lived before (around Montreal Quebec) so runnning out almost naked should not be too difficult  ;D

Lol, just some of the stuff talked about/things ppl do that now I do, (raw meat/paleo, no shoes ever in public unless work/big event, run around nude in winter) make ppl think i m truly crazy but i kinda like it. they ask y and i tell them the benefits and truth ect, and they have no comeback and are speechless. i can usually see the wheels turning in their head (maybe its the "i think hes crazy" wheels though, not logic). :P
The price is wrong Bob

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 02:53:00 am »
I love crazy weirdness too - the quirkier the better and especially if it's rationalised in a convincing, charming way...And really, who cares what "they" think - after all, they'll be dead and buried sooner or later, swept away like everything...Nothing lasts...

As soon as your shadow is longer than you, you aren't photosynthesising vitamin D, hence the height of the sun in the winter sky is not sufficient...

I manage to escape my office for half an hour's nature walk around the back of my company (even wild hare running there), which I'll definitely be continuing through winter, although at minus temperatures, I seriously doubt that exposure would be long or extend beyond my arms and face. Still great to get out though...Find some mad walking sticks or something. I wish there was a lake nearby for skimming stones or walking on the ice...

I used to mountain bike to work and the sunrise was often an amazing sight on winter mornings. I agree that the sun (and moon) is the perfect therapy...

The vitamin D lamp is part of my effort to remineralise teeth without having to resort to cod liver oil, which some say is toxic - even the "sacred" fermented stuff.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 03:27:20 am »
The vitamin D lamp is part of my effort to remineralise teeth without having to resort to cod liver oil, which some say is toxic - even the "sacred" fermented stuff.

do you have a link for cod liver oil being toxic? i've never tried it but was thinking of getting some blue ice fermented stuff just to try it out. not a good idea? what's the issue with it?

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 03:44:37 am »
what's the issue with it?

It's toxic of you take too much and thats because it is very very high in vitamin A and vitamin D (and you can overdose on them), you only need very little of it and then its not toxic. 1 teaspoon taken on some days only, well at least it only gives me good effects, I take it every second day or so. I think for the good omega-3 boost its usefulness wins over it's potential toxicity personally as long as you take it as a supplement, small amounts only.

The fact that is has lots of vitamin D is good for the winter.

Yes vitamin A from animal sources can be toxic in huge amounts, but 100g piece of raw liver has at least four times more vitamin A then a teaspoon of cod liver oil. So its as 'toxic' to take cod liver oil on some days as it is to eat raw liver on some days...When I eat liver, I of course do not take any cod oil and wait a couple of days in between.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 03:59:06 am »
Here is a very good article of why it can be toxic:
http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2009/01/18/the_cod_liver_oil_controversy#axzz12GoaEx00

You have to basically get the oil with the right ratio of vit A to vit D, then should be fine.

EDIT:

Oh and here is the label for the Carlson brand cod liver oil, as you can see it has the correct ratio on A:D ....
Some other oils I saw had a horrendous ratio, way too much vit A - this is a good one...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:07:22 am by yuli »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 05:19:43 am »
Here is a very good article of why it can be toxic:
http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2009/01/18/the_cod_liver_oil_controversy#axzz12GoaEx00

You have to basically get the oil with the right ratio of vit A to vit D, then should be fine.

EDIT:

Oh and here is the label for the Carlson brand cod liver oil, as you can see it has the correct ratio on A:D ....
Some other oils I saw had a horrendous ratio, way too much vit A - this is a good one...

Yuli,
I have no luck with the link.
Cheers
Al

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 05:37:37 am »
I noticed, it was working before...it seems there is too much traffic now for their site to handle...If you go to
http://trusted.md/search/node/the+cod+liver+oil+controversy
you can see the article comes up with the search, but when clicked it hangs on load, maybe try the link later on.

Basically it says that a ratio of 10:1 or less is good, but some oils contain a ratio of up to 100:1 which is scary.

But looking at the Carlson oil, if we take it to have the median value of A at 1000 IU and it has 400 IU D then the ratio is something like 2.5:1 which looks good. It also has some vit E in it which is a nice bonus. So I wouldn't be scared using some of that oil, some of the cheap-ass ones, yeah.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:45:58 am by yuli »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk