Author Topic: VLDL cholesterol  (Read 4953 times)

Offline butters

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
VLDL cholesterol
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:18:50 am »
I thought that people who ate paleo generally thought VLDL was meant to be high, until I read this?

http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/testimonials/craig-b-florida-usa/

Offline butters

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: VLDL cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 03:54:01 am »
Anyone?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 10:40:41 am »
You want VLDL to be low, not high--HDL is the one you want to be high (assuming you don't want heart disease or other inflammatory diseases of civilization).

What is VLDL cholesterol? Can it be harmful?
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vldl-cholesterol/AN01335
"Of the lipoprotein types, VLDL contains the highest amount of triglyceride. Because it contains a high level of triglyceride, having a high VLDL level means you may have an increased risk of coronary artery disease, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke."

Cholesterol...
http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/2010/09/pimping-robb-keep-your-poop-where-it.html
The small, dense, reactive LDLs are born from the VLDL that is the product of high-carbohydrate intake. Although the types of dietary fats we consume do influence these LDLs to a small degree, the main influence is the amount and types of dietary carbohydrate. In case you missed that, a high-carbohydrate diet, like the one your doctor, the government, and the pharmaceutical companies endorse, is the type of diet that makes smal, dense reactive LDL particles. Good to know these people are fightin for your health! [Imagine] if they were really trying to kill you.'

Small LDL: Perfect index of carbohydrate intake
MONDAY, DECEMBER 07, 2009
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/small-ldl-perfect-index-of-carbohydrate.html

".... Carbohydrates, especially if they contain fructose, also prolong the period of time that triglyceride-rich VLDL particles persist in the blood, allowing more time for VLDL to interact with LDL.

Many people are confused by this. "You mean to tell me that reducing carbohydrates reduces LDL cholesterol?" Yes, absolutely. While the world talks about cutting saturated fats and taking statin drugs, cutting carbohydrates, especially wheat (the most offensive of all), cornstarch, and sugars, is the real key to dropping LDL.

However, the effect will not be fully evident if you just look at the crude conventional calculated (Friedewald) LDL cholesterol. This is because restricting carbohydrates not only reduces small LDL, it also increases LDL particle size. This make the calculated Friedewald go up, or it blunts its decrease. Conventional calculated LDL will therefore either underestimate or even conceal the real LDL-reducing effect.

The reduction in LDL is readily apparent if you look at the superior measures, LDL particle number (by NMR) or apoprotein B. Dramatic reductions will be apparent with a reduction in carbohydrates.

Small LDL therefore serves as a sensitive index of carbohydrate intake, one that responds literally within hours of a change in food choices. Anyone following the crude Friedewald calculated LDL will likely not see this. This includes the thousands of clinical studies that rely on this unreliable measure and come to the conclusion that a low-fat diet reduces LDL cholesterol."
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Rawdietforhealth

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:30:00 am »
I started my raw diet a month ago and have witnessed the amazing benefits of this diet on the cholesterol levels in my body. After eating an average of 1 to 1.5 lbs of raw grass fed beef a day, 0.5 to 1 lbs of raw tuna and wild salmon, 2 to 3 fertilized raw duck eggs, 1 to 2 raw tomatoes, 1 raw cucumber, fruit in season, 5 to 6 fresh young coconuts along with the coconut water, raw pumpkin seeds for snacks, and a small portion of organic quinoa or brown rice a day (the only cooked portion of the food I eat), 4 - 5 glasses of raw vegetable juice, my cholesterol levels are excellent.

Before I started this diet, my VLDL levels were over 47, they dropped to 30 in two weeks and now are at an amazing 21 (normal range is 2 - 40)  HDL levels improved from 37 to 51 (normal level should be greater than 40) my triglceride level dropped from 238 to 106 (normal range 10 - 200) my overall chol/HDL ratio improved from 5.86 to 3.51 (normal ratio should be below 4.4).  My uric levels did initially increase but have now been brought back to normal levels as I cut back on nuts, ate a bit more fish in place of too much beef and drank more fluids including water with lime juice. Everything else is within normal ranges.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk