Author Topic: Man on Wolf Diet is Healthier than Ever  (Read 11712 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Man on Wolf Diet is Healthier than Ever
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:39:13 am »
I'm not advocating a wolf diet for humans, but it is intriguing that real-life "wolf man" Shaun Ellis fared well on a wolf-type diet high in wolves' favorite organs like liver, lungs and heart (wolves reportedly also like kidney quite a bit). He ate plenty of organs to give off the proper apex predator odor so as to be accepted as the alpha male of the wolf pack while he was filling that role (and he found that he had to eat a meat-heavy diet to be accepted into the pack at all). He has since been demoted to a lesser status in the pack after he went away for a couple weeks, so I don't know what he eats now.

One thing in the video that might distress raw purists is that he lightly cooks a liver before eating it and I think the narrator says that he did it to make it easier to digest, which is a bizarre reason (I suspect it's more likely that Shaun did it to kill bacteria, due to the common fear of pathogenic bacteria from raw flesh).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_MXskJ568o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S39KPP_z0Y
[Starting at 00:17 "...Shaun is entitled to the prime pieces of meat, the heart, kidney and liver. The rest of the pack is allowed to feed on the carcass after he has taken what is rightfully his."

A slightly different variation was reported in the NYT: “Because he is the leader of the pack, Mr. Ellis eats the liver, lungs and heart” (Kiss and Howl: This Man Is a Wolf’s Best Friend, http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/arts/television/16wolv.html).]

Starting at 5:09:
Narrator: “And Shaun’s body? It’s a lot tougher than he thought.”
Ellis: “Living the way that I do would be to most people a harsh existence that would leave you susceptible to most diseases and illnesses, but quite the contrary really, it’s improved my immune system dramatically. I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a cold or an upset stomach and it’s almost like nature prepares you for their world and because of that you tend to be able to get away with most things.”
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:02:42 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Man on Wolf Diet is Healthier than Ever
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:41:08 am »
part 2 is blocked in the UK =( 1-5 is available on daily motion so I'm watching it there now.

It says he eats the heart, kidney and liver; not the heart, lungs and liver though?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 07:29:20 am »
I've seen it 1 year ago!! on discovery chanel !!  I thought he is a crazy dude but now ermm..

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:04:35 am »
part 2 is blocked in the UK =( 1-5 is available on daily motion so I'm watching it there now.

It says he eats the heart, kidney and liver; not the heart, lungs and liver though?
Thanks for that correction, Miles. My bad, I had saved that quote from "Kiss and Howl: This Man Is a Wolf’s Best Friend," http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/arts/television/16wolv.html, and thought it was from that video. I have read elsewhere that wolves also like lungs quite a bit, but I can't find confirmation outside of that article that Shaun also ate the lungs.

His book doesn't mention lungs:

"In order to smell acceptable to the pack [as an alpha female wolf], she had to eat what a high-ranking wolf would eat--and that meant liver, kidneys, and heart as well as some good-quality meat and plain vegetables. What's more, she had to chew the offal, partially cooked, so that she could regurgitate it for Cheyenne and the pups. And she couldn't even cheer herself up with a drink." (Shaun Ellis, The Man Who Lives with Wolves, Three Rivers Press, 2010, p. 241)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:27:57 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 02:07:12 pm »
Did he said he cooks the liver but what about the other organs and muscle meats? Does he eat those raw? Also just wanted to note on part 4/5 of the video that the wolves left the large bones and skull of the calf perfectly intact.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:30:31 pm by kurite »
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 09:11:56 pm »
Also just wanted to note on part 4/5 of the video that the wolves left the large bones and skull of the calf perfectly intact.
That's true.
It's because they are to weak to crush them.
Only some large hyenas or vultures are able to do it, to some extent.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:33:00 pm »
It looks like he sears all the organs. He refers to them as "partially cooked" in his book.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 11:25:16 pm »
That's true.
It's because they are to weak to crush them.
Only some large hyenas or vultures are able to do it, to some extent.
Or a human with a stone ;D
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:29:10 pm »
Or a human with a stone ;D
Of course :)
Human is number 1
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 06:52:09 am »
I just thought he was a goofball who replaced his real-life family for a wolf family (which then rejects him haha)

My dog had no problem eating moose bones and she has some weird jaw thing to boot so they're not eating them because they dont want to right now.
Lungs are junk as far as i can tell. I dont like them, my wife doesnt, my pets dont.  I sliced up my lung and dried it as emergency food.  Its for the chumps :P
That's not paleo.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 12:18:20 pm »
My toddler is on "Wolf Diet", which is heart, kidney are must for his everyday meal. Only very small raw liver some days, eyeballs, brain, marrows, stomach, gland, tongue, testes are added with that. He also eats muscle meat in another meal everyday. :D
bugs or country chickens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk