Author Topic: what qualifies meat that i can eat raw?  (Read 3077 times)

Offline csrpj

• Forager
    • View Profile
what qualifies meat that i can eat raw?
« on: January 03, 2011, 04:12:40 am »
i still don't get this... what are the qualifications for the meat that's safe for me to eat raw? is it just that it has to be organic and grass-fed? i only found one reliable source of this kind of meat where i'm from, but it's very expensive, so i wonder what else i can eat raw...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: what qualifies meat that i can eat raw?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 04:37:00 am »
i still don't get this... what are the qualifications for the meat that's safe for me to eat raw? is it just that it has to be organic and grass-fed? i only found one reliable source of this kind of meat where i'm from, but it's very expensive, so i wonder what else i can eat raw...
You could also eat raw wild game, which is surprisingly cheaper than grassfed/organic. Some producers sell 100 percent grassfed meats but cannot convert officially to organic status, and those are fine, and cheaper.

Or buy raw wildcaught seafood and try to get hold of meats that are only grainfed in winter, or suchlike.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:10:57 am »
I was just about to start a topic but found it might fit here much better, I for some coincidence have been pondering this same issue at this same time.

Variety is an important issue. is it just me or are there others that get squeamish about small game animals
People from were I live will hunt squirrel and rabbit and they usually live well into their 80s. I am surrounded by squirrels and rabbits and geese, but I am kind of shy about poaching. The last goose I picked up was excellent and so was the last squirrel.

Anyway I have a squirrel in my sink and have separated all the organs. On my way to church the road was clear, and 2 hours later a fresh squirrel is laying there still warm. I drive around and pick it up while moving along. It is in a wooded area, but is close enough to a neighborhood that might be worrysome. What could I eat on it . I have all the organs in a dish kidneys, liver, heart, and testicles, Its head was smashed, so the brain is mushed into bits of skull.(like I said small animals make me a little squeamish) The last squirrel I ate the kidneys and brains with the muscle meat, and I got a surge of energy, I think the adrenals are on the kidneys that may of been responsible, or maybe something else.

I know that small game animals might contain a different balance of nutrients than grass fed cows. I think wild game might be richer in some nutrients that may be helpful for paleo dieters that may be lacking in people who only eat grass fed live stock.

I am about ready to eat so anyone have any reason not to eat all the organs?
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline csrpj

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 07:43:57 pm »
for seafood like sushi, are there prerequisites for it being ok to eat raw, like does it have to be first frozen right after it's caught?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:53:36 pm »
for seafood like sushi, are there prerequisites for it being ok to eat raw, like does it have to be first frozen right after it's caught?
The vast majority of RVAFers don't bother with freezing it beforehand and just eat it raw and unfrozen as usual. There is a tiny minority who believe in Sally Fallon's notion of freezing all meats/fish for 14 days before consumption. Judging from a recent article, standard sushi in Japan is supposed to be fresh, not frozen, anyway.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk