Author Topic: The best kind of water  (Read 6373 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
The best kind of water
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:46:12 am »
OK so here is what I do know: Distilled water is bad, plastic bottled water bad, water purifier can be bad, and there is all these other gimmicks like Ionizers...what do you guys think is the best to drink on daily basis?

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: The best kind of water
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:57:11 am »
You could use a reverse osmosis system and add trace minerals back into it. That's what I do at least. I don't have any natural wells near me.
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:58:49 am »
I'm sorry, but as much as I might seem to be a Daniel Vitalis fanboy at times, I am going to have to go with him on this.

Pure spring water gathered by yourself in preferably glass or BPA free containers at a spring near you.

At first I was having second thoughts about having to drive the distance to get to a spring, but then I bought two 6 gallon BPA free containers and realized this lasts me a good amount of time.

Especially since I don't need so much water on raw paleo, it's perfect.

To find a spring:

http://www.findaspring.com/

If you can't get access to any spring, I guess I would buy something labeled as spring or artesian well water as long as it is stored in only glass and no plastics.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:00:23 pm »
You're lucky that you live in Colorado.  :P Mountain spring water would be the best.

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:04:19 pm »
I actually live in a very impractical location in relation to springs and especially good foods and farms, but it's better than living somewhere with nothing at all for now..

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:09:47 pm »
81.9 miles seems a bit far to just get water. -\

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:13:42 pm »
You can find 6 gallon BPA free containers at Wal-Mart for about 10$ each. If you get enough of those, that can last you quite a while and possibly make it worth it. I definitely have found it to be worth it for me.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 12:40:02 pm »
Why is this in "hot topics" ? Is water a controversial subject? ???
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 02:43:19 pm »
You could use a reverse osmosis system and add trace minerals back into it. That's what I do at least. I don't have any natural wells near me.

how do you add minerals back to the water?

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 02:53:42 pm »
Just get an activated charcoal filter. It will remove some minerals but not all. I think GS uses reverse osmosis and then squeezes some citrus in it.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 04:31:14 pm »
I used to go to a spring in the woods above Lausanne when I lived there, filling about 20 containers of 5 liters at once. Now I have a spring on my land and the water tastes fine but I should have it analyzed to be sure it contains no pesticides since there's a wine-yard nearby. In the meantime I buy bottled spring water because it's very cheap in France and it saves me the time consuming work to fill containers at my spring since it flows only about 25 l/h and the ducks make the basin dirty.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 04:33:47 pm »
I get high-alkaline mineral-water from springs or from the tap, if the tapwater comes from mountain-streams; I don't care that the mineral water is in plastic bottles, as the bottles are always sold long before any amount of chemicals leach into the water, and those bottles are never exposed to the sun, anyway.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:59:05 pm by Iguana »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 04:53:35 pm »
I don't care that the mineral water is in plastic bottles, as the bottles are always sold long before any amount of chemicals leach into the water, and those bottles are never exposed to the sun, anyway.

Yes, me too. But the kind of plastic used for the bottles in Europe is very different than the plastic of some containers of a gallon sold in US (the last time I was there, in 1993) which gave a strong bad smell and taste to the water.  

By the way, why is this in the hot topics section, as King Salmon mentioned? (sorry, i put this sentence in your above post first, so I moved it back to mine!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:00:34 pm by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 07:07:30 pm »
Oh, that explains why some americans were so keen on the plastic/glass issue.

*Topic moved to general discussions, since it seems to have been wrongly placed in HT.*
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 10:05:12 pm »
Ideally*, without considering convenience, water should be from a spring, and the spring should be located as far from civilization as possible.

The water should not be heated or micro filtered (meaning it's ok to filter it for large particles but NOT to filter out minerals, ie reverse osmosis)

Reverse Osmosis and distilled water take all the minerals out of the water so that while it's inside your body it is able to leech minerals from your system as it passes through. Heated water is not bioavailable to the same degree structured, untampered spring water is.

The water should not be treated with any chemicals, nor should it touch plastic if possible.

Second bests are aquifers, clean wells and isolated, clean lakes. Rivers would be ok too except that there are very few that aren't contaminated by civilization.

Your best source of moisture is raw food sources, but spring water is a close second.
----------

Obviously all of the above is ideal, if not convenient, and it's quite difficult in the modern day to fulfill all of these requisites.

Avoid municipal water like the plague. Don't buy bottled water, wayyyy too much plastic being used and for other reasons. Try to keep your water in glass whenever possible, you will likely notice the taste difference as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk