Author Topic: Healthy fats on RPD?  (Read 7054 times)

Offline rawmama

• Forager
    • View Profile
Healthy fats on RPD?
« on: March 11, 2011, 09:05:35 am »
Hi,
I'm new to the RPD (I started 2 weeks ago), and I have some questions that maybe somebody who's been doing the diet for a while can help me with. I've been a primal dieter for 6.5 years, so transition to raw paleo isn't that extreme for me as I was grain free already for a long time, and the only thing I had to ditch was dairy, which isn't something I miss much anyway. Prior to primal diet I was a vegetarian eating cooked meals and A LOT of soy :(( That brought me to ER several times with a horrible colon pain. What is interesting they did hundreds of different scans, tests, X-rays and never asked me once what my diet was like, and it was all soy (soy milk, soy cheese, soy nuts, tofu, etc.), and those "foods" were causing problems. Once I stopped eating them, the pain also stopped.
The reason why I tried all those diets (and primal diet was most extreme so far, now it looks like paleo is a bit more challenging), was because I've been an asthmatic and living on asthma inhalers for the past almost 20 years.
Although getting rid of inhalers and functioning without having to fight for every breath was my never ending dream, I was never able to get rid of the crazy drugs on AV primal diet. When I started paleo and stopped all RAW dairy (including yogurt and butter, which I was most attached to), I've immediately noticed that I don't need the inhaler anymore.
Thanks be to God for showing me, that FOR ME (I don't want to speak for others), there is NO difference between RAW or PASTEURIZED DAIRY, and if I want to be inhaler free, I simply can't have it. My son's plantar warts (very stubborn to remove even when I used ACV on them for 3 months), started disappearing on dairy free diet (he's almost dairy free - sometimes probably cheating when not eating at home), and my daughter's acne is much better (plus I'm trying cooked paleo for them-they would never eat RPD-so grain free is a big help in that matter too).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:43:28 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Healthy fats on RPD?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:31:03 am »
For me:

- Bone marrow is tops
- Beef live yellow fat is great
- eggs and creatures with eggs (squid, fish eggs, duck eggs)
- fat fish like blue marlin sashimi
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline rawmama

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:36:10 am »
Thanks, that sounds good. It's hard to get a grass fed beef with fat on it though -\

Offline rawmama

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:56:56 am »
I ran out of space when writing my post, and I have more questions:

1.How is it that guys like Robb Wolf on cooked paleo also have good health results?
2.What about calcium since there is no fresh squeezed veggie juices?
3.Sesame seeds/flax seeds ok?
4.How about homemade mayo for chicken salad?
5.Homemade coconut milk/almond milk, what else is recommended as far as liquids?
6.Sample meal plan for a day?
7.Raw paleo cookbook?
8.Sweets?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:00:57 am »

1.How is it that guys like Robb Wolf on cooked paleo also have good health results?

If he went on Raw Paleo he will have even BETTER results.

I tried cooked paleo on myself for a month and it was horrible.

I will not bet on my healing powers to improve if I switched to cooked paleo.  The incurables are cured on raw paleo, not cooked paleo.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline rawmama

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 10:10:29 am »
That's what my feelings are too. I would not be happy on cooked paleo  -[ , but it's definitely better for those who eat regular cooked SAD.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:46:02 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:37:07 am »
Thanks, that sounds good. It's hard to get a grass fed beef with fat on it though -\

There should be plenty of fat on grass-fed beef, you just have to ask the butcher for it.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 11:13:15 am »
Lamb is also fatty and delicious.
It's just expensive in my area because it is imported from new zealand.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 03:33:52 pm »

5.Homemade coconut milk/almond milk, what else is recommended as far as liquids?
6.Sample meal plan for a day?
7.Raw paleo cookbook?
8.Sweets?
  Re health fats:- What GS said(raw marrow is great - trouble is that there are 2 kinds of raw marrow, one is nice and creamy, and the other tastes like sawdust.

Raw lamb is reasonably fatty, raw mutton is even fattier.  Some people like raw suet, but I find I don't digest it well. Also try raw grassfed beef tongue  - it's mostly raw fat, lovely stuff.

Re cooked-palaeo/Rob Wolff:- I am one of the many who did very badly on cooked-palaeo before eventually doing this diet via the raw vegan/fruitarian diet. Cooked-palaeo does give some benefits re reducing the incidence of diabetes and the like, but is largely ineffective by comparison to raw-meat diets. This is because cooked foods contain heat-created toxins which contribute heavily to age-related decline plus enzymes and bacteria in foods get destroyed and nutrient-loss occurs - plus cooked foods are far more antigenic/allergenic than raw foods.  as they cause so much inflammation.

Sure it is possible via exercise, eating grassfed meats,only lightly cooking and so on, to minimise a few of the effects of cooked foods but cooked-palaeo can never be as effective as rawpalaeo.

The calcium issue has been raised before, but I've previously shown studies on bantu women which showed that even people on low-calcium diets do fine - besides, strong bones require other things such as magnesium/phosphorus/vitamin d as well as calcium.

I view sesame seeds and flax seeds as largely useless. If you eat them in small amounts I don't think it matters, but I wouldn't advise eating them in large amounts. Seeds aren't palaeo, really.

Home-made mayo:- Sounds horrible. Avoid. Some sauces can be rawpalaeo - for example, raw apple-cider vinegar is fine, as is raw cold-pressed olive oil(although some like myself don't do well on raw plant oils).

Coconut milk/almond milk:- If it's raw it's not the end of the world - although some members here are allergic to coconut oil, for example. Generally speaking, it's unwise to do even minimal processing as some people  can get reactions to things like raw ground/minced beef or dried meats like jerky. But if you have no problems with them try them in moderation.

Sample meal plan for the day:-  It's dangerous to give solid recommendations in this regard as everyone is different with different nutritional needs, different metabolic rates, different activity-levels, different body-size/ideal weight. But have a look at the sticky thread "what are you eating right now?" in the general discussions forum, for examples.

Rawpalaeo cookbook:- a contradiction in terms!   I suppose you could look up recipes for raw-leat dishes like steak tartare or ceviche or beef carpaccio or sashimi recipes or raw oyster dishes etc. Just replace any non-raw sauces with raw equivalents if you can.

Sweets? No point, really. I mean we sometimes eat dates, but I find they are mostly processed/steamed, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm glad that you've started finding a solution for your health-problems. The primal diet does work for some people, but so many RVAFers have issues with raw dairy that it causes lots of problems for others.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:55:57 pm »

Robb wolf is addicted to coffee and seems to always have some sort of "problem"
Eat small fishes with bones, blood, leafy greens, oranges etc.
No imo
Eggs+apple cider vinegar+oil(olive/macnut/tallow etc.)
water, fruit juices if you can tolerate them? Coconut water. 
8.Sweets?
Fruits, honey

Offline rawmama

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 03:31:39 am »
 Re health fats:- What GS said(raw marrow is great - trouble is that there are 2 kinds of raw marrow, one is nice and creamy, and the other tastes like sawdust.

Where do you get raw marrow?, I'm thinking you need to order it online and how do you know you get the creamy kind?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 03:39:01 am »
"the explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson describes two types of marrow, one type from the lower leg which is soft "more like a particularly delicious cream in flavor" and another from the humerus and femur that is "hard and tallowy at room temperatures" (The Fat of the Land, page 27)" , from an earlier thread.

I used to get it by ordering from a grassfed meat farmer online. Had to phone dozens of grassfed meat farms to find  the few farms that sell raw marrow, though. You need to tell them that the marrow is for human consumption and that you are only interested in the marrow-rich bones as, otherwise, they assume it's for your dog and just give you lousy bones with only tiny amounts of marrow in them, at best.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline rawmama

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 03:42:27 am »
Eat small fishes with bones, blood, leafy greens, oranges etc.

How do you eat leafy greens - in a salad?

Offline rawmama

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 03:53:40 am »
Anyway, I'm glad that you've started finding a solution for your health-problems. The primal diet does work for some people, but so many RVAFers have issues with raw dairy that it causes lots of problems for others.

I can't believe that I trusted in raw dairy so much that I never dared to try to live without it. I would have been drug free six years ago!
Now I've learned the lesson that my body can heal very quickly on the right kind of diet - it doesn't take years to see the results and that is such a joy.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 04:17:00 am »

I can't believe that I trusted in raw dairy so much that I never dared to try to live without it. I would have been drug free six years ago!
Now I've learned the lesson that my body can heal very quickly on the right kind of diet - it doesn't take years to see the results and that is such a joy.
Best to use the quote button for quoting others' comments.

As for time needed for recovery, it all depends. Most RVAFers state that a full recovery from very serious illness usually takes c.2-3 years, with shorter periods required for less serious health-problems. That's what happened with me, although, admittedly, it took only 4 months after cutting out all raw dairy for me to get rid of a  pretty large proportion of my symptoms of ill-health, initially.
" Ron Paul.

Offline rawmama

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 04:39:57 am »
As for time needed for recovery, it all depends. Most RVAFers state that a full recovery from very serious illness usually takes c.2-3 years, with shorter periods required for less serious health-problems. That's what happened with me, although, admittedly, it took only 4 months after cutting out all raw dairy for me to get rid of a  pretty large proportion of my symptoms of ill-health, initially.

I've been using black seed oil as a supplement for the past 2.5 months, and I don't know if you're familiar with that oil, but when you google it there are a lot articles about it, and they say what prophet Mohammad said that the oil cures all diseases but death. I'm not a big fan of supplements, but that was before raw paleo and I gave it a try. If that contributed to my health - I don't know, or was it just cutting out the dairy, either way I'm happy with the results.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:53:38 am by TylerDurden »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk