Author Topic: I sliced into my own finger  (Read 5514 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I sliced into my own finger
« on: June 24, 2011, 04:21:46 pm »
Just wondering if anyone else still occasionally gets in a hurry and accidental cuts them selves while chopping up meat?

I thought I would have learned by now, but apparently not. :( I sliced into my finger tip while cutting into some cow heart the other morning.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: I sliced into my own finger
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 05:14:04 pm »
I'm careful because my knives are very sharp. Always direct the sharp side of the knife to the opposite direction of your other hand keeping the piece of meat!   
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 06:45:30 pm »
I'm careful because my knives are very sharp. Always direct the sharp side of the knife to the opposite direction of your other hand keeping the piece of meat!   
Yeah me to. Sharpness is a thing with me if i cant shave my arms easily with it its not sharp.

A bandage with raw honey will speed up healing. Change it every day but clean the wound only the first time. Cleaning more wil retard healing.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 09:50:38 pm »
dried powdered cayenne will fix that in 24 hours like new.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:50:01 am »
dried powdered cayenne will fix that in 24 hours like new.
LOL!  :)

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:55:49 am »
I rubbed raw cayenne pepper on my brain and now I'm the head of M15.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 05:27:50 am »
I have cut myself in the past, though not often and not in quite a while (knock on wood :P )

Are you familiar with safe chopping technique?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98XQK4Gp3p8
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 07:16:05 am »
I thought the cayenne pepper thing was a long running joke on the forum I didn't think you actually put it on things.

You say a gash was healed in 1 day with no scar? Pretty big claim, but I will try it.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 02:01:17 pm »
I washed my cut out and then let the scab form a protective layer, its healing just fine now, although if I hit it too hard it will still leak a little. I think I will hold on the Cayenne.

I was aware of the safe method to cut meat, but I still get careless every once in a while. I was really just wondering if anyone else would confess to cutting themselves , considering that most of us use knifes regularly.

Me and Phil cant be the only ones.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 09:56:47 pm »
well, i usually use meat scissors, they're so much easier.  but i know very well that if i were using a knife all the time that i would butcher myself too  :D

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 11:10:52 pm »
well i've cut myself in the past. just as probably everyone has at some point. the last 5years i haven't though. i use knifes a lot for bushcraft and they are so sharp i would take my whole finger off so i learned to be carefull and avoid cutting myself. I never use a knife in such a way i could cut myself. always cut away never towards any body part. the primary law of probability say that if something can happen it will happen sooner or later. so i avoid the can happen scenarios at all costs.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 11:46:48 pm »
I can vouch for the cayenne pepper on cuts thing. It works REALLY well (thank you GS.).  I admit that i was skeptical at first, i mean, i know how much that stuff will burn your mouth, so i couldnt imagine how it would feel in a wound, but one day I dropped a 20litre glass jug and i reacted and tried to catch it so it smashed over my right hand and I got a pretty nasty slice going from the base of my right ringfinger up and around to the knuckle part.

I should have went to the hospital but I thought 'No way man! thats not paleo! what would the raw-forums think!' so i thought now was as good a time as any to pop some cayenne powder in there since it was still bleeding 15 minutes later when i finally got home.

I would say it was probably as scary as the first time i ate some raw meat (SCARY!!) but i dumped a bunch in anyway and waited for the searing pain to start....  but it doesnt, it pretty much soaks up the blood, stops the bleeding and starts to harden and form a sort of artificial scab.

It would weep every so often so id just add a little more cayenne every day or so and it healed really well.
I wont make any bold claims like it regrew my severed arm in 4 hours, but it worked so much better than bandages and whatever else people usually put on their wounds.

It took me about 8 months to get 90% of the mobility back into my finger.. it still doesnt bend back as far as my other ones but i think i damaged the tendon or something. But yeah, i always use cayenne in my cuts now, its totally awesome and I would recommend it to anyone (it doesnt hurt at all, you dont feel anything)
That's not paleo.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 01:37:30 am »
Did you have no scarring?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 08:56:49 am »
I've been careless in the past but not anymore

I've also snapped cheaper knives cutting into frozen meat. I use a fork to hold the meat now.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk