Author Topic: Avidin in raw eggs one more time  (Read 36989 times)

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Avidin in raw eggs one more time
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 10:34:27 pm »
or else what happens? Again, where's the evidence of harm? As was already pointed out to you, reductionist theory doesn't prove real world harm.

or else biotin becomes unavailable, and in time you get mild biotin deficiency.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 10:40:40 pm »
or else biotin becomes unavailable, and in time you get mild biotin deficiency.
OK, here's another claim we can examine. Has anyone here been diagnosed with mild biotin deficiency from eating raw whole eggs? Power, what do you consider to be signs and symptoms of biotin deficiency so we can be on the lookout for signs of potential problems?

This so far seems to have been mostly hand waving to justify your cooking of egg whites. I don't see any major harm from cooking egg whites and you're free to eat whatever you wish, I just don't see a need to cook egg whites myself. How do you do it? Do you poach or soft boil the eggs or do you separate out the whites and cook them on their own? I tried that once and found they weren't tasty cooked alone without the yolks and it definitely wasn't worth the bother and mess to me.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 10:53:07 pm »
From wiki

Symptoms of overt biotin deficiency include:

* Hair loss (alopecia)
    * Conjunctivitis
    * Dermatitis in the form of a scaly red rash around the eyes, nose, mouth, and genital area.
    * Neurological symptoms in adults such as depression, lethargy, hallucination, and numbness and tingling of the extremities.[3]

I eat the egg whites raw (I've never said cooked), and I'm not trying to justify anything for me :) Cooking doesn't deactivate avidin that much, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avidin#Inactivation_of_biotin_binding_activity

A 1991 assay for the Journal of Food Science detected substantial avidin activity in cooked egg white: "mean residual avidin activity in fried, poached and boiled (2 min) egg white was 33, 71 and 40% of the activity in raw egg white."
A 1992 study found that thermal inactivation of the biotin binding activity of avidin was described by D121°C = 25 min and z = 33°C. The study disagreed with prior assumptions "that the binding site of avidin is destroyed on heat denaturation", concluding that protein denaturation was not equivalent to loss of biotin binding activity.[18]

I tried that once and found they weren't tasty cooked alone without the yolks and it definitely wasn't worth the bother and mess to me.

Absolutely agree

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 11:01:17 pm »
But I think it's still very unlikely that you'd develop such a biotin deficiency unless you eat really unhealthy. Egg yolks are for sure not the only source of biotin. What is more concerning in my opinion is the trypsin inhibition.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:59 pm »
But I think it's still very unlikely that you'd develop such a biotin deficiency unless you eat really unhealthy. Egg yolks are for sure not the only source of biotin. What is more concerning in my opinion is the trypsin inhibition.
OK, so is trypsin inhibition your only remaining concern regarding raw egg whites? What signs and symptoms should we watch out for that might indicate it? Since you eat raw egg whites yourself, is it the case that you haven't experienced any noticeable negative symptoms as a result and you're perhaps just concerned that you might develop future problems from eating them?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2011, 11:10:06 pm »
Future problems yes, protein putrefaction usually results in (neuro)toxins which get absorbed in the colon.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 11:21:07 pm »
Per what evidence or experience does alleged egg white protein putrefaction produce this result and what are the symptoms? Since you specified "usually," which suggests more than 50% of the time, what is the source of this information regarding this frequency of occurrence?

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 12:15:56 am »
I don't know, I must have read it somewhere. Not egg white but putrefaction of any protein.
Either way, I'm not that interested in finding the hard evidence that will prove this to me or someone else.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2011, 12:23:25 am »
I don't know, I must have read it somewhere. Not egg white but putrefaction of any protein.
Oh yeah, that's convincing. Did you check out those links I provided that refuted the claim? Whenever I've traced the sources they've always gone back to vegetarian myths. Besides, the vegetarians are invariably talking about COOKED meat when discussing alleged meat putrefaction build up in the colon and alleged harm from it, not RAW meat.

Either way, I'm not that interested in finding the hard evidence that will prove this to me or someone else.
If you're not interested enough in your own putrefaction claim to support it, then I'm not interested in taking it seriously.

Offline p0wer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 12:37:33 am »
What did they refute? None of them talked about protein going by undigested due to decreased trypsin action.

Of course claims like "Humans can’t digest meat, it rots in the stomach/colon" (from the first link) don't make any sense if your digestive system is fine, I'm not saying anything related to that here.

This is from a pretty old book, probably some stuff are a bit wrong but it gives a pretty extensive overview
http://chestofbooks.com/health/nutrition/Diet-Theory/The-Putrefaction-Of-Protein.html

Offline blimpie

• Egg Thief
  • Watch out! It's the evil military!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 03:44:27 am »
There's no way to win an argument faster than by asking for references, lol.  ;D
Some people would say I'm full of hot air.

"I find cooking wastes so much of my time, though." Geoff Purcell

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 06:50:10 am »
We have to solve this egg white egg yolk issue or threads like that will continue to appear . I personally feel fuller after eating whole eggs for much longer period and I am not that thirsty like when I eat only egg yolks. + egg whites aid in cell detox!!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 02:09:28 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 07:53:10 pm »
Of course claims like "Humans can’t digest meat, it rots in the stomach/colon" (from the first link) don't make any sense if your digestive system is fine, I'm not saying anything related to that here.
When does that claim make sense and where is the evidence that meat digests less well and rots more than grains and other seeds, legumes that are not edible raw and fibrous veggies in the healthy or damaged guts of humans?

This is from a pretty old book, probably some stuff are a bit wrong but it gives a pretty extensive overview
http://chestofbooks.com/health/nutrition/Diet-Theory/The-Putrefaction-Of-Protein.html
Is that the best you can do for evidence, an out-of-date book of vegetarian myths? As I said, all the sources of this rotting, putrefying meat (and egg whites) in the colon claim I've seen so far trace back to vegetarian myths and it appears that your claim is no exception. Even if the claim is true, it doesn't establish evidence of harm. I've seen scientific research findings of plant proteins causing harm in the gut, but not yet meat proteins. Bryce's speculations do not qualify as scientific evidence.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:28:54 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2011, 11:55:25 pm »
From the link http://chestofbooks.com/health/nutrition/Diet-Theory/The-Putrefaction-Of-Protein.html, we read:

It is averred that these toxins are absorbed by the intestinal mucous membrane, and that they are the insidious cause of the most grave and fatal chronic maladies....

It is comforting to think, however, that nature has provided the body with many defences against this terrible risk of poisoning, the most important being the hydrochloric acid of the gastric juice...

Go back and read it yourself, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bryce saying that meat doesn't turn to toxic rot because it is digested by acid in the stomach and small intestine?

Next, he says
it is significant that complete removal of the stomach is unattended by increased putrefaction - and the maintenance of the effective digestive capacity.

I read several of the chapters of Bryce's book, and I don't think he contradicts what I know to be true from my own experience, that the meat I eat digests well and doesn't leave me feeling toxic.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 08:45:42 am »
So is it even beneficial to eat egg whites at all? Or is it just fodder? lol that's all I wanna hear out of this topic  :D

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2011, 05:30:34 pm »
It depends: it may be useful and it may be harmful - just like for everything !
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2011, 06:33:26 pm »
I hear its negligible in fertilized eggs and it wouldn't really matter since hunter-gatherers rarely found/ate eggs.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2011, 06:36:47 pm »
hunter-gatherers rarely found/ate eggs.
How do you know that?
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2011, 06:40:14 pm »
Before the age of domestication, only wild birds' eggs were available so eggs would have been only rarely eaten and then  on a seasonal basis.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2011, 10:07:10 pm »
Land and sea turtles eggs, iguanas egg's, swan's eggs, aepyornis'eggs, ostrich' eggs, etc must have been plenty before mankind proliferated and ravaged the environment.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2011, 10:25:02 pm »
Land and sea turtles eggs, iguanas egg's, swan's eggs, aepyornis'eggs, ostrich' eggs, etc must have been plenty before mankind proliferated and ravaged the environment.
No, since wild animals laid such eggs only seasonally and usually in relatively inaccessible places such as cliff-faces, trees and the like. Only when chickens were domesticated were eggs available in quantity.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2011, 12:28:55 am »
At least sea turtles eggs are extremely easily accessible and you get not less than about 120 at once. Swans' eggs are quite big and easily accessible as well.
 :)

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 05:09:06 am »
don't forget fish egss!! According to weston prices work they are one of the most valued foods by primitive races. They were even dried so they could be eaten year round.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 06:56:57 am by TylerDurden »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 08:34:12 am »
don't forget fish egss!! According to weston prices work they are one of the most valued foods by primitive races. They were even dried so they could be eaten year round.

You mean like caviar? I wish I could get some...anyone know any sources of them raw?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2011, 09:11:18 am »
Country folks from where I live gigged frogs and eat polliwogs.
Early man would have certainly had access to frog eggs.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk