Author Topic: Well-done steaks 'double prostate cancer risk'  (Read 5675 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Well-done steaks 'double prostate cancer risk'
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:44:39 am »
Well-done steaks 'double prostate cancer risk': Even small amounts of over-cooked meat can be dangerous
Eating habits of 470 men with aggressive prostate cancers were analysed
Link was discovered after comparing data with diets of healthy males
Barbecued and processed meats also tied to higher chances of fast-growing forms of disease
By FIONA MACRAE
Last updated at 12:20 AM on 24th November 2011
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2065482/Well-steaks-double-prostate-cancer-risk-Even-small-amounts-cooked-meat-dangerous.html#ixzz1fEXisVwu

"Men who ate grilled or barbecued burgers that were well or very-well done had around twice the odds of aggressive prostate cancer than those who never ate meat or ate it rare or medium-done."
I'm guessing that Tyler will love this study.  ;D

Correlation is not causation, of course, and there are potential confounding variables, and cautions were expressed about possible problems with the study, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this. Is this study at all valid evidence to buttress the argument for raw Paleo?

Of course,  the "experts" advised against eating too much "red meat" instead of "well or very-well done" burgers, extrapolating irresponsibly beyond what the study found.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:51:58 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Well-done steaks 'double prostate cancer risk'
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:34:01 am »
cooked meat every day is idiotic.
We know that now.

Japanese restaurant chef I hired yesterday works at a golf country club and it is well known among the senior men in the club that eating sashimi often restores their erections.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 01:03:07 pm »
Of course,  the "experts" advised against eating too much "red meat" instead of "well or very-well done" burgers, extrapolating irresponsibly beyond what the study found.

Just like Gary Null saying that cooked red meat and hormone laden milk is bad for cancer patients so suggests eating a vegan diet right?

Also like the China Study. Husband was reading it a couple of years ago. I asked him to keep an eye out for any mention of raw food instead of data only on cooked foods and he saw not one. He started to talk about the book and I kept on saying that none of it was pertinent for me because it was all about cooked foods.

Extrapolations can get us in real trouble.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 01:27:16 pm »
I'd like making my wild extrapolations and say raw meat and raw fat CURES cancers.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 04:13:29 pm »
It is reasonable to assume from the mass of studies (like the one above  showing that the more one cooks the more likely one is to get cancer) that the less one cooks, the less likely one is to get cancer. After all, the various heat-created toxins that cooking produces have all been shown to be carcinogenic in effect, so smaller amounts of heat-created toxins(via lesser forms of cooking like boiling etc.) would still increase the chances of cancer, albeit to a lesser extent.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:58:23 pm »
Yes, it seems that much of humanity is on a one-track mindset of seeing red meat as the root of dietary evil and miss the cooking aspect even when the study is on cooking. So when a study finds that cooking promotes cancer, instead of concluding that one should cook less, they conclude that one should eat less red meat.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 02:22:21 am »
So when a study finds that cooking promotes cancer

Let's assume that we get one new study after another showing clearly that cooking promotes cancer. Would it change anything? Only for a very small number of human beings. Could the author earn money with this study?

Nearly 7 billion people live on cooked grains and cooked grain-fed animal food. I would say it's a one way street and no return is possible. Where do we go from here? Will the size of human brains continue to decrease?

Löwenherz

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 07:57:34 am »
Will the size of human brains continue to decrease?
Yes

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 03:17:38 pm »
Let's assume that we get one new study after another showing clearly that cooking promotes cancer. Would it change anything? Only for a very small number of human beings. Could the author earn money with this study?

Nearly 7 billion people live on cooked grains and cooked grain-fed animal food. I would say it's a one way street and no return is possible. Where do we go from here? Will the size of human brains continue to decrease?

Löwenherz

How about increasing our own Raw Paleo Diet tribe?  Maybe our descendants can do a reversal?  I wonder how many of the French / instinctos are doing this successfully.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk