Author Topic: RAF Diet meetups  (Read 24292 times)

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Diet meetups
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 01:20:11 pm »
Do you know anyone who can do those things?
to kyle, that was my original plan. still i'm thinking doing that, but need more people than the money. in this country, the cost of labors are very high and i just can't afford that at this moment.

1)get a place almost 1 to 2 hrs distance from nyc with a stream (prefer NY state)

2)build a strawbale home

3)raise some cattles, wild deers and other animals wildly

4)i'm a gardener and i really enjoy putting some antique rose gardens, so the place will be a show place. also i collect the berries that are grown wildly and lots of exotic plants.

if you guys in this forum join with me  (i need manpower the labor), i think i can do that. my mom has the same passion. we will also host you time to time like a retreat center. i've a really small family in this country and we don't have that much friends, but i always feel too close to my all paleo friends in this forum. we don't need too much in our life to be happy, but need determination. thanks
bugs or country chickens

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 01:31:07 pm »
Even though the allexperts.com site does mention experts in general, the actual term we and they use among ourselves is "volunteer" not "expert".

Sure you're a guru.  An Indian friend of mine says guru translates as someone who sheds light on your path.  You are a help.  Everyone here is, but way before I found this place, you on AllExperts helped me, just by virtue of you writing your experiences there.

thefreeonlinedictionary.com:
3. guru - a recognized leader in some field or of some movement; "a guru of genomics"
leader - a person who rules or guides or inspires others

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
guru
noun
1. authority, expert, leader, master

Beautiful plans.  It is much needed.

1)get a place almost 1 to 2 hrs distance from nyc with a stream (prefer NY state)

2)build a strawbale home

3)raise some cattles, wild deers and other animals wildly

4)i'm a gardener and i really enjoy putting some antique rose gardens, so the place will be a show place. also i collect the berries that are grown wildly and lots of exotic plants.

if you guys in this forum join with me  (i need manpower the labor), i think i can do that. my mom has the same passion. we will also host you time to time like a retreat center. i've a really small family in this country and we don't have that much friends, but i always feel too close to my all paleo friends in this forum. we don't need too much in our life to be happy, but need determination. thanks
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 01:34:52 pm »
 i'm planning to host you guys (paleo) from this summer. that will be westchester, ny. only half an hour driving distance to manhattan. by train, it is even less time. also bus services available. my goal is to live in a place that have all kinds of public transportation available and also the same time living in place that feels like living in country... let me know. :)
bugs or country chickens

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 01:42:43 pm »
rawzi/ than i need that courage, before i jump to buy almost million dollars home with $30 thousands tax on top of my head. this is a very good time to buy a big land with a very good price. if i get the support, i'll be seriously start looking for this property and also will post the details of those properties in this site.
bugs or country chickens

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 02:05:01 pm »
Coincidentally, my mother grew up in Westchester county.

I'm no ranch expert, but you'd probably want to focus on one type of animal, at least at first, so they could breed and not become inbred. You'd probably also want to pay for genetic input from other ranches for the same reason. If it were me, I would go with a premium animal, such as venison or bison or Heck cattle (I don't think anyone in the US has the latter yet--but I'm sure they're extremely expensive, so you'd probably start with something else), to make it more possible to become profitable with a small operation. I'd also assume it was going to be a slightly money-losing proposition, with any profit seen as a bonus, to be on the safe side. That way you can win either way. A million dollar home is quite an investment, but I know someone who sold a single family house on a moderate size property in that county for around that amount, so a ranch might cost much more. But I hope for your sake that prices have come down a lot since he sold about a year ago (pretty good timing on his part).

You could make the ranch a Paleo-theme tourist ranch (RPD would be too narrow, unfortunately). Some ranches and farms actually charge people to work at their tourist theme ranches.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 07:11:25 am »
   Sure you're a guru.  An Indian friend of mine says guru translates as someone who sheds light on your path.  You are a help.  Everyone here is, but way before I found this place, you on AllExperts helped me, just by virtue of you writing your experiences there.

Like I said, a guru, by definition, asks for money from his followers and has a cult-like following. I'm just an amateur whose advice is, to a substantial extent, borrowed from other rawists' experiences. At any rate, I'm glad that my volunteering for allexperts.com worked out, given the frequent mentions of it here and elsewhere. At the time I started the column, there were so few websites about RVAF diets that finding any details about raw-meat-diets for humans was an uphill struggle. My initial motivation for volunteering wasn't exactly philanthropic,  though - I started it partly because I  hated Aajonus at the time like the plague for some misleading advice he gave  and wanted to expose him to the whole RVAF movement, and also, I'd got some hysterical anti-raw-meat-eating advice from a past allexperts.com volunteer who turned out to be a closet vegan. Funnily enough, the reason why I started the other RPD forum was similiarly  based on a deep dislike of another particular raw guru. Ah well, like Lester Del Rey said re his story "Vengeance Is Mine", many of the best things humans have created  have come  about as a result of the more negative human emotions, not the positive ones.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:17:22 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 06:55:32 pm »
You probably are a guru of some sort to most people in the RAF community, they may be wrong but most people don't think a guru must ask for money (most people think of that as a sham!). You are very knowledgeable, have read lots on the topic, help people by sharing a lot of information and of course run the website!

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 05:40:18 am »
Guru is composed of the syllables 'gu' and 'ru', the former signifying 'darkness', and the latter signifying 'the destroyer of that [darkness]', hence a guru is one characterized as someone who dispels spiritual ignorance (darkness), with spiritual illumination (light) - taken from Wikipedia

Just because a bunch of people use a word incorrectly does not change it's original meaning. Although I do believe that the very act of getting followers tends to change people into the "bad gurus" that you always hear about. Power corrupts and all of that. Still though, there's people out there that do good stuff and don't get paid, there's just more that try to get paid.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 06:07:28 pm »
and of course run the website!

I don't actually(this must be the 2nd or 3rd time someone's thought this to be the case). GS runs both rawpaleodiet.com and rawpaleoforum(I just own the rawpaleodiet yahoo group), though  I have  contributed some of the articles on rawpaleodiet.com.Perhaps GS should mention that he's the one in charge of rawpaleodiet.com.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 11:49:12 am »
I don't actually(this must be the 2nd or 3rd time someone's thought this to be the case). GS runs both rawpaleodiet.com and rawpaleoforum(I just own the rawpaleodiet yahoo group), though  I have  contributed some of the articles on rawpaleodiet.com.Perhaps GS should mention that he's the one in charge of rawpaleodiet.com.

oops did not know that...well thanks to GS for that. You post and contribute a lot to the forum which is why I thought you ran it plus people saying they found the website through the yahoo group.

Offline z2704186

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 01:45:24 pm »
Greetings, I am in minneapolis and interested in meetup, mike.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk