Author Topic: IF diets as good as CR diets  (Read 2017 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: IF diets as good as CR diets
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:50:37 am »
I have been spacing my meals farther apart to encourage a better digestion cycle. Would you happen to know (or venture to guess) how short a fasting phase can be and still be considered IF?

For example,  IIRC, you fast for 20 hours and eat within a 4 hour window. So, is 12/12 a beneficial form of IF? How about 18/6? (I'm following Byron RIchards's Mastering Leptin regimen now, and I'm considering cutting down to 2 meals because my system is responding so favorably to well-spaced meals, but I'm still swayed by the idea that I should never skip breakfast in the morning.)
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:28:43 am »
It partly depends on your metabolism. Some, like you, can't face going without breakfast, for example.That said, IF, according to definition, does not really exist until you eat only 1 large meal every 24 hours, all eaten within a 4-hour period. Some claim that alternate-day fasting is better, though this is disputed, that involves eating 1 large meal, eaten within 4 hours each 2nd day, eating nothing inbetween.

The key behind IF seems to be to spend as few hours digesting food. The idea is that constant digestion diverts energy-resources that could otherwise be used for healing/rebuilding, plus constant digestion slowly wears down the digestive system over time(which is partly why old peoples' digestive systems are usually so wrecked).

When I first started, even though I always hated having breakfast, I would usually feel an irrestible urge to have a little fruit between 11am and 2pm. I would then have 1 large raw meat meal in the evenings. Eventually, my blood-sugar-related issues resolved themselves and I was able to eat the fruit in the evenings along with all the raw meat, all within a 4 hour period. Though I always ate the fruit at least 30 minutes before the raw meat eating.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 06:24:00 am »
The key behind IF seems to be to spend as few hours digesting food. The idea is that constant digestion diverts energy-resources that could otherwise be used for healing/rebuilding, plus constant digestion slowly wears down the digestive system over time(which is partly why old peoples' digestive systems are usually so wrecked).

The snippet that I took from your response is where I want to head, TD. I think I'm starting in a good place (eating well-spaced meals with a 12-hour night-fast). Perhaps once I've mastered this for a good, long while without any mental rebellion, I'll take another step towards resting my digestion more. Thanks for your response.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk