Author Topic: high meat  (Read 7124 times)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
high meat
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:27:55 am »

I would love some guidance or at least reassurance.   I live in northern ca. right on the coast, hanging on the cliffs.  We, like many areas in the world have notorious mold problems.  If you leave a leather saddle in your barn for any length of time, it's covered in mold.  Ect, ect...   So,  when I air out my jar of meat in the air, I am bound to pick up all kinds of mold spores flying in the wind.  And I can only imagine that the predominant culture medium I am introducing to the cut meat peaces is the airborne mold spores.  My last batch has a definite green hue to the meat and the white lid is green from the green juices.  For someone who has symptoms of candida from years of vegan fruit eating and mixed raw meat with fruit,  various raw diets for over thirty years,  I'm really wondering if this high meat preparation method has value.  I went on line and looked at traditional meat aging, like that done in Europe with sausages etc.  They have very exacting bacteria that they innoculate with.  Very much a science. 
     The other thing I notice in this forum is the discussion of candida syptoms, like a white tongue.  Maybe it is my sensitivity or my awareness of how my body, mouth, feels when I eat any fruit or sugar,  but my tongue does go towards white  when those sugars are eaten.  It's like my body, or the surviving candida will pounce on the sugar, as though starving for it.  Does anyone have any experience where that eventually subsides,  and fruit then has little effect, at least as demonstrated by the white appearance in the mouth.
  And finally,  I noticed that Nicola is trying EM products for her gut.  If you read this Nicola, how is that working for you?  And has anyone else experimented with it?  And experimented using EM for innoculating their meat for a high meat culturing process? 
   I would appreciate any and all feedback,  thanks.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: high meat
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:15:27 am »
Well, I can't be of very much help to you - I judge "high-meat" to be "ripe" if it contains fungus-threads - not usually otherwise. The Chinese would leave out raw eggs for up to 25 years in which time they would collect lots of mold and fungus, which the Chinese loved.

That said, it's a good idea to experiment on your own to find what works.

Where did Nicola mention about EM-products(presumably outside the forum?)?

Lastly, I don't know anyone who has mixed EM-products prior to making "high-meat".
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:47:07 am »

Where did Nicola mention about EM-products(presumably outside the forum?)?

Tyler, this time no talk about EM-products outside the forum -X

I mentioned on this forum that I got my alkaline ionized water enriched with EM's (I threw my high meat out ;D). What I noticed at the start was that I had "air" coming out of my colon, which reduced day by day. For now I can say that I have a lot of energy threw this water (it brings oxygen to the cells). I believe that health threw EM, water, diet is a constant process.

Nicola

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:33:57 am »
The only thing I can add is that fungal organisms are more adapted to dry substrates like bread, which is why you'll find penicillin mold on bread but not bacterial growth, and bacteria are more adapted to wet substrates such as meat. So even if there are a lot of fungal spores (more than in many places in the world) there are probably still plenty of bacterial ones and they will usually outcompete the fungus for most of the real estate on meat. Anyone who has tried to grow mushrooms knows that the water level (or water activity as known in microbiology terms) has to be carefully controlled to create an environment better suited for fungal rather than bacterial growth. And even if you do that correct, if some bacteria manage to find their way in they can still take over at times.

That is to say that bacteria are better at colonizing meat than fungi. I see bacteria as stronger organisms anyway, with fungi being more specially adapted to digesting things bacteria can't.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:39:42 pm »
I have been in the restaurant business on and off since about 1965. Somewhere in a textbook I read that the way to age beef is called "dry aging". The large cuts of meat are kept in a cool room with low humidity on racks to give good air circulation. The meat shrinks considerably so the resulting steaks are expensive.  I am thinking they were aged for about a week but can't remember exactly. Natural enzymes in the meat tenderize it. Steaks were cut after aging.

Mold was not considered to be a problem. Green slime is definitely bad. If an expensive steak developed a green smelly layer we would wash it in vinegar before cooking, but the quality was reduced.

The meat develops a firm dry(er) very tender texture and is excellent cooked rare (or raw). I like to warm my meat to body temperature before eating it.

I wonder how small they make dehumidifiers.

I plan to research this more.
Naturally, Don

coconinoz

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:19:34 am »

van:
perhaps, as an experiment, you want to try surrounding or enclosing the high meat jar w/ coconut oil, which is supposed to be antifungal
& maybe even rub some co on your saddles so you do not sit on invisible fungi
???

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 01:31:38 am »
The only thing I can add is that frugal organisms are more adapted to dry substrates like bread, which is why you'll find penicillin mold on bread but not bacterial growth, and bacteria are more adapted to wet substrates such as meat.
I find that in these difficult financial times it's good to be a frugal organism.  ;) What? What's funny Kyle is, that's how I read it the first time, so here I am yapping some more  -\

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 02:02:58 am »
Avalon you are always good for a laugh!  :P

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 02:58:00 am »