Author Topic: Question on grass-fed beef  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Dave

• Forager
    • View Profile
Question on grass-fed beef
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:04:09 am »
Hey guys,

Is 100% grass-fed ground beef from Whole Foods healthy and safe to consume raw? I would likely eat it either shortly after arriving home from the store or the next morning, after freezing it. I was told earlier today that none of the beef that you can buy at the WF in my area is ever pre-frozen. It seems like there are better sources out there, but this would be for the sake of convenience. I get sashimi from WF often but haven't tried eating any of the other kinds of meats that they have there raw. Any help or information would be very much appreciated. 

- Dave

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Question on grass-fed beef
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:43:14 am »
Grass fed beef from whole foods should be fine. I've had grass fed beef from WF a million times, and I've never had any problems.

Freezing isn't really necessary. But if you're scared of parasites go for it. Most likely you'll eventually get sick of having to freeze, defrost and then eat meat.

Welcome aboard.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:36:53 am »
Grass fed beef is my staple food. The place I live, the quality of grass fed  beef from whole food not that so good, but expansive. When I order that from a small farmer, that is the best. Tastes also better than WF. I won't consider ever to freeze my best quality of beef. But regular meat is better than ground one. Ground one causes me to have lead in my blood. Beef is a strong animal and it boosts me right away. Good luck with ur real rawsome diet.
bugs or country chickens

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 03:49:13 pm »
Wholefoods is way too expensive. If you can find a cheaper source go for it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dave

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 07:26:31 am »
Thanks for the replies. I just talked with a local farmer who sells grass-fed ground beef for less than WF does. It will be awhile before we can meet, though, and I would like to try the raw grass-fed beef soon, so I'll probably get it at WF this time. I have a quick question on preparation. Would it be beneficial for me to cut off the outer parts of the ground beef before eating it? I've heard it said that bacteria can form on the outside of raw meat.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:11:14 am by Dave »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 07:49:08 am »
Re preparation:- Don't bother, it's wholly unnecessary.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dave

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 08:15:53 am »
Interesting. So is it the bacteria claim I was referring to untrue?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:21:20 am by Dave »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 08:35:15 am »
There is bacteria everywhere, but the claim to which you refer is the fact that inside the muscle (before it is cut), there is no surface bacteria from "outside" sources. Once the beef goes through the grinder, the outside bacteria gets incorporated into the whole mass of meat. That's why it would be futile to cut off the outside surfaces of a batch of ground beef.

If you will be dealing with the farmer directly, you can get other cuts of beef, to your liking. I like beef from the rump, as well as tongue, liver, heart, etc.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 08:41:04 am »
bacteria... have a look at the high meat thread  ;D    with ground beef, i'm more worried about my meat being in contact with the chemicals used for cleaning the grinder and the contact with the metal of the grinder itself.

Offline Dave

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 11:03:56 am »
Wow. Well that's new information to me. Thanks for the help, guys.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk