Author Topic: ADD  (Read 7850 times)

Offline jamiekelly

• Forager
    • View Profile
ADD
« on: May 11, 2013, 11:30:22 am »
I am committing myself to the raw paleo lifestyle starting today. I was dabbling in it for a few months until I was sidetracked by raw veganism. Glad that didn't last to long :D
I am curious if any here has successfully treated severe ADD with this lifestyle, and if so do you have any tips that may help me.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: ADD
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:37:12 pm »
Many of us here are enjoying a much more focused and centered life from lowing carbs, sugar, and replacing them with good amounts of good quality fats.   

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 10:48:50 pm »
I personally have not, but if you're interested in doing some reading on the topic I recommend Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride's book Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, Dyspraxia, ADD, Dyslexia, ADHD, Depression, Schizophrenia.

The book offers a treatment regime for several psychological maladies that focuses largely on adjusting eating patterns, and she's found her GAPS diet to be quite successful in her clinical practice. It basically cuts out all starch (polysaccharides) and all refined sugar, but allows some monosaccharides in fruit. Although she doesn't specifically advocate for 100% raw, her diet recommendations can be followed 100% raw to good effect, I think.

Offline jamiekelly

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 02:52:26 am »
Thanks for the heads up on the book Eric . Ill check it out now! I am aiming for a lower carb diet of mainly meat and fat with the odd fruit but open to any possibilities  that may help me to finally get free of my extreme scatter brain!

You all rock for replying!!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 07:09:45 am »
Eating leafy greens seems to help, especially dark greens like spinach.

Taking healing clays like Terramin is also very effective.

Taking a balanced calcium/magnesium supplement can also  be very calming.  1:1 ratio is best, usually. Avoid supplements with fillers like magnesium stearate.

Offline jamiekelly

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 07:35:33 am »
Eating leafy greens seems to help, especially dark greens like spinach.

Taking healing clays like Terramin is also very effective.

Taking a balanced calcium/magnesium supplement can also  be very calming.  1:1 ratio is best, usually. Avoid supplements with fillers like magnesium stearate.

would food grade Diatomacious earth be considered a healing clay?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 08:23:40 am »
I personally have not, but if you're interested in doing some reading on the topic I recommend Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride's book Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, Dyspraxia, ADD, Dyslexia, ADHD, Depression, Schizophrenia.

The book offers a treatment regime for several psychological maladies that focuses largely on adjusting eating patterns, and she's found her GAPS diet to be quite successful in her clinical practice. It basically cuts out all starch (polysaccharides) and all refined sugar, but allows some monosaccharides in fruit. Although she doesn't specifically advocate for 100% raw, her diet recommendations can be followed 100% raw to good effect, I think.

I second that recommendation. The SCDiet, which GAPS is essentially based on with various modifications, is my diet of choice for treating schizophrenia.

What GAPS/SCD strives to do is modify the gut flora. The gut flora can produce toxins which hinder brain function, or increase your immunity and overall health. It all depends on how your gut environment is.

http://www.microbialinfluence.com/ - Is a link that shows all the things bad gut flora can cause and aggravate.

What's nice about Raw-SCD, or Raw-GAPS, is that not only are you eliminating microbial toxins and building your immune system. You're also avoiding toxins from unhealthy foods, like grains, cooked meats, etc. And also giving your body the necessary raw nutrients to help proper functioning.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline jamiekelly

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:22:42 am »
I second that recommendation. The SCDiet, which GAPS is essentially based on with various modifications, is my diet of choice for treating schizophrenia.

What GAPS/SCD strives to do is modify the gut flora. The gut flora can produce toxins which hinder brain function, or increase your immunity and overall health. It all depends on how your gut environment is.

http://www.microbialinfluence.com/ - Is a link that shows all the things bad gut flora can cause and aggravate.

What's nice about Raw-SCD, or Raw-GAPS, is that not only are you eliminating microbial toxins and building your immune system. You're also avoiding toxins from unhealthy foods, like grains, cooked meats, etc. And also giving your body the necessary raw nutrients to help proper functioning.

thanks for the reply! Would you mind sharing a typical day for you eating raw and GAPS/SCD ?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 07:29:22 pm »
Yesterday's diet for me was:

8:00 -  2 x 2 x 2 cm cube of high meat (100% grass fed beef heart)
10:00 - small glass of green juice (mix of wild-harvested dandelion and store-bought organic cilantro)
10:30 - 3/4 pound 100% grass fed liver, with a small bowl of home-made sauerkraut (20-day wild-fermented green cabbage)
18:00 - 1/2 pound 100% grass fed liver, small bowl of home-made sauerkraut, small chunk of 2-year cheese made from raw milk

My diet isn't consistent from day to day, I've been eating a lot of liver lately because I've been craving it, but don't eat it everyday and not even every week. Most of the vegetables I eat are either fermented for at least 7 days or are juiced. My juicer only handles greens though, so all of my juices are green juices and they are generally from wild gathered greens although sometimes I buy cilantro to juice because it's known to bind mercury and other heavy metals and help with detox. I also eat fruit sometimes, although only in small amounts and not every day.

And, to be clear, all of the food I eat is raw. I don't say that every time, but unless I say otherwise you can assume that to be the case.

Offline jamiekelly

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 11:14:15 pm »
Yesterday's diet for me was:

8:00 -  2 x 2 x 2 cm cube of high meat (100% grass fed beef heart)
10:00 - small glass of green juice (mix of wild-harvested dandelion and store-bought organic cilantro)
10:30 - 3/4 pound 100% grass fed liver, with a small bowl of home-made sauerkraut (20-day wild-fermented green cabbage)
18:00 - 1/2 pound 100% grass fed liver, small bowl of home-made sauerkraut, small chunk of 2-year cheese made from raw milk

My diet isn't consistent from day to day, I've been eating a lot of liver lately because I've been craving it, but don't eat it everyday and not even every week. Most of the vegetables I eat are either fermented for at least 7 days or are juiced. My juicer only handles greens though, so all of my juices are green juices and they are generally from wild gathered greens although sometimes I buy cilantro to juice because it's known to bind mercury and other heavy metals and help with detox. I also eat fruit sometimes, although only in small amounts and not every day.

And, to be clear, all of the food I eat is raw. I don't say that every time, but unless I say otherwise you can assume that to be the case.

thanks  Eric. Liver is one thing I seem to struggle with trying to eat raw. Don't know if its the taste or texture, but I just seem to gag whenever  try to eat it. Its something I want to be able t consume though since it is so nutritious.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 07:46:11 am »
My diet varies day to day. But it's usually heavy in animal foods if I haven't been exercising. If I have been working out I might consume a little more plant foods.

I eat 3 meals a day. Each one consists of 100% grass fed beef chuck roast (5 oz) and 100% grass fed beef fat (2.5 oz). Occasionally I eat grass fed liver, grass fed heart, wild caught salmon, and wild caught shrimp.

I eat only SCD legal fruits, vegetables, and (rarely) nuts.

Here is the legal/illegal list. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/listing/

Basically I stick to unprocessed (additive free) SCD legal foods, all raw.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 10:23:10 am »

would food grade Diatomacious earth be considered a healing clay?

It's not a clay, but if you find it calms you down, then use it. It appears to not have a lot of nutritional value, besides being a good dewormer.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 09:46:18 pm »
raw fats are the best for add. Keep your sugar down. Just getting off stuff like high fructose corn syrup should improve things greatly in that regard. For me though, even eating too much fruit can make me pretty hyper.

The more fat I eat the more calm an centered I am. THe more fruit I eat the more I act like one of this little monkeys thats bouncing off the walls.
-----------

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 01:32:20 am »
I forgot to mention you should look into eliminating sources of fluoride, chloride, and bromide from your diet. Sources would be regular tap water (switching for distilled or spring), unfiltered shower water, fluoride tooth paste. You could also look into the Iodine protocol.

I can't access the links right now. But look into iodine and add.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 03:10:47 am »
Flouride has nothing to do with add. It is a pacifier it does the opposite of make one hyperactive.

either way remove the flouride and add plenty of raw fat. The more raw fat you eat the more calm and centered you will be.
-----------

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 07:02:18 am »
Flouride has nothing to do with add. It is a pacifier it does the opposite of make one hyperactive.

either way remove the flouride and add plenty of raw fat. The more raw fat you eat the more calm and centered you will be.

ADD doesn't always pronounce itself in physical hyperactivity. The scatterbrain can be a big symptom and often that is expressed in unorganized communication, which to the ADD person can feel far more like tiredness/fatigue, when everyone else sees it as hyperactive. I saw myself as: It.Takes. So. Much. Work. Just. To. Say. Anything. haha
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk